United States
Joined 6337 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 73 of 90
11 April 2007 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
What are the disadvantages of the chorus method? I see one of practicality.

It's very intense, hard on the voice, and boring. That's based on my experience with my computer. But the results are worth it IMO.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6337 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 74 of 90
11 April 2007 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Chorusing: no written text to follow, you repeat with a split second delay after the speaker.

No delay. You speak in chorus with the recording.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6681 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 75 of 90
11 April 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Echoing: repeating after the speaker is finished

I suppose, yes.

reineke wrote:
Chorusing: no written text to follow, you repeat with a split second delay after the speaker. It's possible to do with audio tapes.

Shadowing - following a tape mentally?

This is different from what was just mentioned somewhere else on the forum. The way I have understood it, "shadowing" is when you repeat aloud in unison with a recording, "chorusing" is when there are several students doing it together.

I don't think it would make much difference whether there is a text available or not.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 76 of 90
11 April 2007 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
reineke wrote:
What are the disadvantages of the chorus method? I see one of practicality.

It's very intense, hard on the voice, and boring. That's based on my experience with my computer. But the results are worth it IMO.

I agree that it's intense, but I only found it hard on the voice initially. When I heard of shadowing (on this forum), I soon started to shadow Italian, French, German, and Dutch, in study sessions that lasted between half an hour and over an hour; my throat was sore for the first week or two, but at this point, I don't find that it gets sore even after a couple of hours of shadowing (which is a big improvement, because my throat used to get sore after less than an hour of speaking English, my native language).

I also don't find it boring at all; concentrating closely on the voice I'm shadowing via headphones, listening for deltas with my voice, and the huge glaring problems when I use the vowel sounds of my Canadian English accent or am mispronouncing a sound badly and my rhythm is thrown as a result has the same kind of intense focus and even joy as programming or working on an interesting math problem, at least to me; it can be almost meditative, in a way.

I agree with you that the results are definitely worth it though.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6890 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 77 of 90
12 April 2007 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:

This is different from what was just mentioned somewhere else on the forum. The way I have understood it, "shadowing" is when you repeat aloud in unison with a recording, "chorusing" is when there are several students doing it together.

I don't think it would make much difference whether there is a text available or not.

I'm doing a bit of catch-up since my time has been short, so maybe I've missed something here but I have to say that my understanding was the same as Henrik's.

Andy.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6369 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 78 of 90
12 April 2007 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
For those who are Senior Members, I'd love to get a definition into this thread. Maybe that's a better thread to discuss it, too, since it's frightfully off-topic for this thread.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6337 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 79 of 90
12 April 2007 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Another interesting quote from http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/gt/nonbegnr.htm
Quote:
You may know children of immigrant parents who can understand their parents' language quite well, but cannot speak it at all. Nancy Dorian (1981) noticed that although she had learned to speak Gaelic in the course of her research, young people with Gaelic speaking parents, although they could not speak the language at all, could often understand it better than she could. They had grown up with massive comprehensible input, and had developed a high degree of comprehension ability, but little or no speaking ability.

So it appears that massive comprehensible input can result in people having the ability to understand a language without necessarily being able to speak it well, or even to speak it at all. It appears that in order to learn to speak, you have to put a certain amount of effort into speaking. Somehow, I don't find that surprising.

2 persons have voted this message useful

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6478 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 80 of 90
12 April 2007 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I agree that it's intense, but I only found it hard on the voice initially. When I heard of shadowing (on this forum), I soon started to shadow Italian, French, German, and Dutch, in study sessions that lasted between half an hour and over an hour; my throat was sore for the first week or two, but at this point, I don't find that it gets sore even after a couple of hours of shadowing (which is a big improvement, because my throat used to get sore after less than an hour of speaking English, my native language).

Wow it must be really hard on the throat.Can you lose your voice this way?

leosmith wrote:
Another interesting quote from http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/gt/nonbegnr.htm
Quote:
You may know children of immigrant parents who can understand their parents' language quite well, but cannot speak it at all. Nancy Dorian (1981) noticed that although she had learned to speak Gaelic in the course of her research, young people with Gaelic speaking parents, although they could not speak the language at all, could often understand it better than she could. They had grown up with massive comprehensible input, and had developed a high degree of comprehension ability, but little or no speaking ability.

So it appears that massive comprehensible input can result in people having the ability to understand a language without necessarily being able to speak it well, or even to speak it at all. It appears that in order to learn to speak, you have to put a certain amount of effort into speaking. Somehow, I don't find that surprising.

Interesting information.Thanks.

This discussion contains 90 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version