Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6745 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 1 of 32
08 April 2007 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
I've collected a number of resources in preparation for the forum's 6-week challenge and have listed them on my own blog (the list can be seen here).

I haven't quite decided what I want to accomplish exactly but I do have a few goals I hope to achieve in the next 6 weeks.

These include :

1) Mastering the Persian script through reading and writing practice. I tried learning the Persian abjad once so I have a bit of a headstart. I still need to learn all the spelling rules, though.

2) Working through the Pimsleur Farsi course. There aren't many lessons so I should be able to work on a few each week.

3) Memorising a number of key phrases and sentences stuctures. I will make a note of any useful phrases or words in a notebook and make my own personalised phrasebook.

4) Persian grammar is not extremely complicated but I doubt I can master much in just 6 weeks. I will concentrate on the more basic elements of Persian grammar and tackle the main verb forms. I have a couple of books to help me with this as well as the brilliant EasyPersian.Com website.

5) I will try and listen to Persian-language radio and/or podcasts at least a couple of times a week to get a feel for the language. I doubt I will be able to understand much in just 6 weeks but there's no harm in trying.

6) I've managed to get hold of two Persian-language films, Children of Heaven and The Colour of Heaven. These have English subtitles and will be quite interesting materials to use for listening comprehension practice.

7) I'm not going to have much chance to practice my speaking skills but I will use the good old method of talking to yourself as well as making use of the Pimsleur course and any other resources I can find.

8) If I can manage it, I might try and make some posts in Persian on my blog or on the forum. This is not a top priority for me, though, as I am more interested in learning to speak and read the language.

9) I'd like to aim for a vocabulary base of between 500-1000 words. Ideally I would aim for a higher target but it all depends on how much free time I will have in the next few weeks. I won't be making use of flashcards as I've never found them particularly effective but I will keep track of any new words I come across in a small notebook. I will mark those words I feel I've 'mastered' in order to figure out roughly what my passive and active vocabulary is.

Reading articles or other text in Persian will probably need more than 6 weeks, especially as abjads can be a bit tricky to work with, but I will see what I can do in such a short period of time. ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6745 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 

Message 2 of 32
14 April 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
OK...so far I've been busy trying to master the Persian alphabet as I would like to be able to read basic Persian as early on in my Persian study as possible.

I've memorised pretty much all of the letters (and their various forms) but still have a few problems telling the identifying some of them...nothing a bit more reading practice can't solve!

I've learnt a few basic phrases and will be making a note of useful phrases and sentence structures in a notebook.

I've also started on the Pimsleur Farsi course and will be using Assimil's 'Le Persan Sans Peine' as one of my main sources. The latter will help me reinforce my knowledge of the Persian alphabet and will allow me to get a good grasp of basic core grammar. I'll be working through the Assimil course throughout the next few weeks and hope to get a couple of lessons done each week, as well as continue working through the Pimsleur course and making use of all the other resources I found online. :)

Apologies for not writing anything in Persian today but I still have to figure out how to input Persian text!

daristani
United States
Joined 6999 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 3 of 32
14 April 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
I think that the old "Teach Yourself Modern Persian" offers the easiest introduction to the Persian script, teaching only a few letters at a time, along with vocabulary items that use them, rather than trying to do it all at once.

As for inputting Persian text, I think that this link is perhaps the simplest place to go to input short texts in a while bunch of languages:

http://www.lexilogos.com/clavier/multilingue.htm

Good luck with your efforts!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6325 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 32
14 April 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Here are some words that you should be able to recognise: Arabic words that have found entry into English, English words that exist in Arabic, names, places and the like. Some of these words are very easy to recognise once you have read them, others are a little harder.

Note I prepared this list for Standard Arabic, but since it's the same writing system (except for a few additional letters, which you obviously won't find here), this should be good for practising to read Persian, too. I collected this list in order to eventually turn it into another super-easy writing lessons course like the one I created for Korean at http://www.learnlangs.com/RWP/Korean. If anybody can contribute words, check my word list or help with the creation of the course, that would be great.

I added vowel diacritics where necessary for easier reading. Copy-paste the list into Notepad and set the font size to 20 or so for easier reading, I didn't want to monopolise that much space.

قُطْن
وَادِ
خَلِيفَة
مَهْدِيّ
سُكَّر
بَابَا
دِمَشْق
مَنَارَة
نَفْط
سُوق
الْجَبْر
إمَارَة
بَيرُوت
قُرَآن
سُلْطَان
مِيكَانِيكَا
مَدِينَة
بَنْك
دِينَار
دِرْهَم     
فَرَنْسَا
تِكْنُولُوجِيَا
دِبْلُومَاسِيَة
وَزِير
أمِير
جَاك
بَخْشِيش
لَيلى
مُحَمَّد
بِتْرُول
ءَرَبِيّ
بَغْدَاد
تُينِس
مُسْلِم
جُغْرَافِيَا
هَيدْرُوجِين
بَارِيس
لِيبِيَ
ءُمَر
شِيٍك
شَيخ
ءَدَن
قَاهِرَة
كِيلُوغْرَام
كِيلُومِتْر
غِرَاق
تَاكْسِي
دِينَامِيكَا
غَزَال
صَحْرَاء
رِبَاط
كَغْبَة
مَكَّة
هِجْرَة
كِيمِيَاء
غَمََّان
رِيَاض
صَنْعَاء
سَالِم
سُلَيْمَان
تِلِفِزْيُون
رَادِيُي
فِيزِيَاء
رَمَضَان

Edited by Sprachprofi on 14 April 2007 at 1:11pm

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6745 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 

Message 5 of 32
28 April 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
That font is extremely hard to read (it shows on my screen but I have to enlarge the text size dramatically in order to see it clearly). I do recognise a few words though...I'm pretty sure that last one is 'ramazaan' (the Persian form of Ramadan).

I have to admit I haven't had much time to work on my Persian so I'm going to have to drop out of the 6-week challenge. I won't be dropping Persian just yet but I just don't have the time to keep up with the 6-week limit. Still, I'm glad I've made a bit of progress in the last couple of weeks and I do plan on pushing my Persian beyond the basics in the near future.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6294 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 6 of 32
28 April 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:

I have to admit I haven't had much time to work on my Persian so I'm going to have to drop out of the 6-week challenge. I won't be dropping Persian just yet but I just don't have the time to keep up with the 6-week limit. Still, I'm glad I've made a bit of progress in the last couple of weeks and I do plan on pushing my Persian beyond the basics in the near future.

I'm sad to see you drop it. Thanks again for the list of resources, and good luck with your Persian studies in the future.

I'm continuing with it, and intend to see it out to the end, but I've decided to stop posting about what I do every day. This week, it's been half an hour/day of Assimil every single day except yesterday, where I decided to spend half an hour watching a movie, because I really needed a change of format and thought that a bit of exposure to native materials would be a good change of pace and I'm still illiterate.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4723 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 7 of 32
31 October 2011 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
I can't open a new thread, so I'm going to appropriate this old thread as my Persian log.

I've signed up to learn Persian for this 6WC. I think it will come in useful in my volunteer work and besides, reading Persian poetry in the original is an enticing goal.

So far I've only gone through the alphabet lessons on easypersian.com and listened to some Persian songs.

My goals are:
- recognise and write all the letters easily
- distinguish between words while listening
- introduce myself
- count from 1-100
- ask basic questions
- answer basic questions
- know at least 2 verb tenses
- understand basic spoken phrases

I'll be studying with easypersian.com and the German version of "Persian Language Course. Complete Edition." by
Alefba.

Edited by druckfehler on 15 December 2012 at 4:45pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4723 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 8 of 32
01 November 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Day 1.

Today I studied lesson 11, 12, 13 of easypersian.com.

After having listened to 12 poems and a couple of songs, I'm starting to register some often repeated words and structures. I'm also able to follow text I'm hearing.

I'm drawing letters like a kid, but am beginning to understand how the linking works. I now think that the writing system intimidated me beyond its real difficulty. Of course, becoming a somewhat fluent reader and writer will take a lot of effort, but it doesn't seem much more difficult than reading and writing Hebrew.

I've built my first sentences in Persian using subject, object and verbs in simple past tense.

And, to my surprise and delight, I've also picked out two words I've studied so far in Baavar by Mehrnoosh, namely داشتن and رفتی.

Edited by druckfehler on 02 November 2011 at 10:04pm

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version