SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6695 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 58
09 April 2007 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
So, I accepted Sprachprofi's challenge to devote six weeks on a "new" language, to see how far I get.

I have had a brief look at it in the mid 90's (the Swedish course "Ek!"), but will now focus on what Lernu has to offer. I also have "Sistema kurso de Esperanto" (in Swedish) but that one seems to be out of date (1933).

I will start having a look at Lernu's study plan and see where it leads me. I plan to enter each word/sentence into MemoryLifter.

Assuming the most basic stuff is located to the left, I will go through Introduction->Useful phrases and everything in Word learning this week. And if that works, I'll progress to Ana Pana and see what happens.

Ready, steady... GO!

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 10 June 2007 at 7:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 58
09 April 2007 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Actually, Lernu just offers a broad variety of courses devoted to people with different learning preferences and situations in life, e. g. also courses for children, so left-to-right is not the optimal approach. Ana Pana is one of the beginner's courses starting at zero. Here's my review of free Esperanto courses, which I had posted in the "Choosing a language for a younger sib" thread:

>>>>
* The best one around right now is probably "Ana Pana" at Lernu, an 8-lesson course with sounds, interactive exercises, free tutors etc. Teaches somewhat few words per lesson for my taste, but you can go through the lessons very quickly and pick up more words from original material afterwards.

* The course I used to learn Esperanto can be found here. It has 10 lessons, which are quite extensive. A free tutoring service is also included. After completing this course, you should have a very good level of Esperanto, since it teaches not just all grammar but also a lot of vocabulary and each lesson has two lesson texts. On the down side, there is rather much grammar taught very quickly: the first lesson presents almost all basic grammar for passive knowledge already, later lessons elaborate and actually teach it and past lesson 5 the grammar sections are mostly just revision. Another down side is that this course was developed for teaching through mail or e-mail, so there's no multimedia. If a lot of people are interested, I could probably make recordings though.

* If you like Assimil-style sentences with translations and few explanations, Lernu's "Vojaĝu kun Zam" is for you.

* If you are a fan of the "direct method" where you don't use your native language at all, use the "Bildoj kaj demandoj" course at Lernu.

* If you aren't fluent in any language besides English yet, or if you don't know grammar terms well, there's a nice textbook for you at here. I like that it teaches grammar slowly and explains it well for people who never heard of terms like "noun" and "adjective". It also teaches a good amount of vocabulary. It doesn't come with sounds or tutors, but if you choose to use this course, you can contact me with questions.

* A computer program teaching Esperanto can be found here. It teaches grammar and basic vocabulary and it contains sound files, songs, dictation exercises and the like. Tutors are available, too. What I dislike about this course is that it never goes beyond the sentence level - texts would help seeing words in action better.

* If you are looking for a Pimsleur-like audio-only course, "Jen nia mondo" is for you. Unfortunately this one is not available for free, you have to buy the CDs.

Once you have some very basic knowledge of Esperanto, you can also just dive into the language by reading Lernu's Library(hover over any word to see its translation or definition, that way reading even 30% unknown texts is doable), Esperanto forums (the Lernu forums also have this nice hover-look-up function) and chats or this comic strip in easy Esperanto.

Btw, you should be able to access most of Lernu's content in Swedish.

I wish you success in your studies!
5 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6695 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 58
09 April 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the comments. I noticed that the phrases were anything but basic but nevertheless useful so I will keep studying them.

As you say, I managed to find quite a lot of material in Swedish on the site - however, a few of the phrase collections weren't translated (so I just copied the English translations, assuming they were "complete"). Totally 416 phrases (perhaps there are some duplicates), of which I've flipped 296 - 200 rights and 96 wrongs. Percentage of known cards: 89,7 % - obviously based on the way the program chooses which cards to show.

Tomorrow (after another session of card flipping) I will have a look at the "word learning", and depending on how that goes I may start with Ana Pana (I had a look a few minutes ago and the first lesson seems pretty easy).

If there's time I will also have a look at the other courses you mention. I'll let everybody know if I choose to use any of them.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6695 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 58
15 April 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
End of first week. (I started this Monday)

I've copied everything from "useful phrases" and "word learning" to my flashcard program (MemoryLifter). It will take a while to go through all entries (over 1000) but right now I have a retention rate of 94,1% of my flipped cards (about half of them are still in the "pool"). The time spent on the Esperanto file in MemoryLifter is over 3,5 hours, but that includes chapter setup and word import besides the actual card flipping.

I've done the first two Ana Pana lessons, read them aloud, done all the excercises (# Fill in the blank, # Questions, # Listening and # Correspondence).

As many others have said, it's easy. It feels like I get basically everything for free, at least when it's Esperanto->Swedish/English. The other way around I would make MANY mistakes. I don't have all the affixes yet, and will spend time learning the correlatives.

As for pronunciation and the Esperanto "sound" I can't say if (I think) it's Spanish or Italian. Written Esperanto is SO ugly, but I like the sound of it. :)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6695 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 58
18 April 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
The last days I've studied for an upcoming exam in Russian (this Friday), and haven't done much Esperanto except for the occasional flashcards. I'll get back to the studies "for real" after my exam.

awake
United States
Joined 6422 days ago

406 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 6 of 58
19 April 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
I see Esperanto most commonly compared to Italian in terms of how the
language sounds. I'm not familiar enough with italian to judge that
though. As for the written esperanto, I don't know, I rather like the way it
looks.   Unfortunately, a lot of computer systems lack ways of easily
making the letters with diacritic marks When people use the letter x to
indicate a circumflex, I find it very ugly. the older h standard isnt as bad,
but that seems to largely have fallen into disuse. I tend to be rather old
school, so I'm trying to bring it back into my eo writings when I cant use
the diacritic marks.   But I learned the x method, so sometimes I forget
and do it that way out of habit. :)

jeff_lindqvist wrote:

As for pronunciation and the Esperanto "sound" I can't say if (I think) it's
Spanish or Italian. Written Esperanto is SO ugly, but I like the sound of
it. :)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6695 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 58
21 April 2007 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
OK, yesterday I had the Russian exam (God knows if I passed) so today it's time for some more Esperanto. I started a few days ahead of the intended (?) Saturday, and took a break last Sunday night, so today is day 8.
Ana Pana parto 3, a few mistakes - basically the accusative case.
I had a look at Gerda malaperis! and just as Ari said in another thread I don't find it that difficult. But I've only read chapter 1.
For both Ana Pana and Gerda malaperis! I can use the Assimil approach, focusing on understanding (I may save the following correspondence exercises for later).

This week I will devote maybe 10 minutes to each of the courses, and the last 10 to flip cards.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6695 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 58
22 April 2007 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Day 9:

Today I've read and listened to Ana Pana # 4 and Gerda malaperis! #2 until I understood basically everything, and then did the GM exercises (i.e. I chose the right options in the drop-down menu). It spent about 10 minutes on each course, and then flipped cards for the last 10 minutes.

During week #1 I only did Esperanto->Swedish/English, but from now on I'm doing the other way around - starting from the beginning (I assume many words will go right from box 10 to box 1...), and adding more "chapters" as my active skills improve.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version