Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 58
12 June 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
Session 41-42:
Ana renkontas 6-8 (I didn't finish #8 within the last half-hour, though)

I really enjoyed this "challenge", despite that I haven't followed a daily schedule. I've taken a few breaks, changed materials, methods et.c. In hindsight, I think I should have focused on just Ana Pana and Ana renkontas. Doing one lesson of Gerda Malaperis! per day (at my level) worked for a couple of days, but then hell broke loose. I will however return to GM as I thought it was a good reading exercise. Mi estas komencanto, which I found just a few days ago, was also good on a very basic level.

Summary of the courses/lessons I studied (actively, unless stated otherwise):

Ana Pana 1-8
Gerda Malaperis! 1-13 (passive listening and reading)
Sistema de kurso Esperanto 1-12 (passive reading)
La puzlo Esperanto 1-7 (passive)
Ana rekontas 1-8
Mi estas komencanto 1-6

From now on I will review AP and AR, finish GM and Mek and then maybe take the basic exam on the Lernu site.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 15 June 2007 at 9:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 58
15 June 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Today I finished Mi estas komencanto, i.e. the last five lessons (7-11). By the way, I've switched the major language on the site from Swedish to German. :)

I will now have a look at the other basic courses listed on this site:
http://en.lernu.net/mia_lernu/bonvenigo.php

Even though I should be able to understand most of those lessons, I think it could be a good idea to review basics. Who knows, there may be a word or two that I haven't seen. Oh, Ana Pana is there, and I will review that course (however, without doing the correspondence exercises this time).

I like Esperanto!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 35 of 58
18 June 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad this has been a good experience for you. If your German is good enough to learn another language through it, you should definitely try the great 10-lesson course offered by the German Esperanto Youth Organisation as a way to revise things, learn some advanced grammar and lots of vocabulary. Have a look at the last lesson to see what I mean. Use the "-->" buttons to move between lessons. These are usually sent out through e-mail. You can expect to be at a very comfortable language level after finishing this course: you'll know all of the grammar (including advanced stuff like participles) and enough vocabulary and suffixes to probably understand all but 1-3 words on a page of an Esperanto book like "Gerda malaperis" or "Fajron sentas mi interne"(my personal favourite original novel in Esperanto). The only problem is that this course tries to teach a lot of grammar at once or at least mention it and later teach it in depth. But, having done another course already, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Note: you can also get a free e-mail tutor for this course, just sign up here.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 58
19 June 2007 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link! I took a well-needed break from Esperanto for a few days last week, then went through Bildoj kaj demandoj and yesterday I had a look at Vojaĝu kun Zam. Still a few "trips" left.

I will try KEK in the near future - I think my German is good enough to learn Esperanto through it.

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6127 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 37 of 58
20 June 2007 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
I know this is a bit late, but I hope it can be useful. There are a few things I'd like to say.

First, it shouldn't matter the age of the course you're taking with regard to the mode of Esperanto you're taught. I took the customary ten-lesson e-mail course and it taught that to say "to like," you need to use "plaĉi al" rather than "ŝati." I know Zamenhof complained about what he deemed a misuse of "ŝati" in Lingvaj Respondoj, but everyone uses it and you will sound a bit antiquated or amateurish if you don't.

Second, if there's anything the Esperanto reform projects have in common, it's the removal of the supersigns, accusatives and adjectival concord and replacing the way of making plurals by -oj with -i. I disagree with all of those changes, except for replacing the plural -j (it just doesn't look right); however, i don't think -i is any better (it should be -s if anything). And nobody really likes ĥ either (not so much the letter as its sound), so it's all but disappeared from Esperanto, with forms like arkivo, Ĉinio, koruso and resonado replacing the older arĥivo, Ĥinujo, ĥoro and eĥo for archive, China, choir/chorus, and echo.

Third, the -u ending marks the volitive, not the imperative. A minor nitpick, I know, but one Esperantists love to make.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 58
20 June 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Any help is appreciated. I put my old Esperanto book aside for a while, as I chose to focus on other courses and methods. The texts in it were a bit out of date, while I suppose that the language itself was "correct".

Today I finished Vojaĝu kun Zam. Despite the basic level I enjoyed "travelling" to the cities, doing the exercises and reviewing a great deal of grammar.

Next step: Pri la fundamento.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 58
22 June 2007 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
I just finished Pri la fundamento, read about the 16 major grammar rules and did the 42 fill-in-the-blanks exercises.

Next step: La Zagreba metodo.

My passive skills are constantly improving (of course still at a very basic level) and very soon I will focus on more active skills.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 40 of 58
24 June 2007 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Two days of pretty intensive Esperanto studies.

La Zagreba metodo constists of twelve lessons: new words, grammatical explanations, a text for reading, a grammar exercise and a matching exercise.

I did the exercises for the first five or six lessons, and for the following lessons I just read the texts. They got longer and longer, and it wasn't my plan to "master" them so I felt it was OK to go on, even if I probably missed some important grammar points here or there.

I also read the accompanying comic strip.

Next week I will take it easy and focus more on my other languages. Babili esperante seems to be something I can have a look at while taking a rest. :)

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version