Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 25 of 38
24 April 2007 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Day 10 (?)
---

Did the rest of Teksti Yksi.

Quote:

Laura pyysi häneltä anteeksi, mutta Ville ei enää halunnut olla Lauran kanssa. Hän lupasi antaa anteeksi, mutta ei kuitenkaan voinut unohtaa, että kun Lauran hevonen hirnui, Laura myös nauroi hänelle. Aika kului. Eräänä päivänä Ville meni ystävänsä syntymäpäiville. Siellä oli myös Venancia, kaunis italialainen opiskelija. Venancialla oli ihanat ruskeat silmät ja pitkä musta tukka. Ville rakastui.

Laura asked from him forgiveness, but Ville no more wanted to be with Laura. He promised to give forgiveness, but wouldn't anyway be able to forget, that when Laura's horse neighed, Laura also laughed at (to—towards) him. Time passed. One day Ville went to his friend's birthday. There was also Venancia, a beautiful Italian student. Venancia had beautiful brown and long black hair. Ville fell in love.

Ville ja Venancia kävelivät usein iltaisin yhdessä. Joskus heidän oli vaikea ymmärtää toisiaan, koska Venancia ei puhunut vielä suomea oikein hyvin, eikä Ville osannut italiaa. Mutta he rakastivat toisiaan ja Ville oli tyytyväinen, koska Venancialla ei ainakaan ollut hevosta, joka laukkasi, potki ja hirnui.

Ville and Venancia walk often in the evening together. Sometimes it was difficult to understand one another, because Venancia didn't speak yet Finnish very good, nor was Ville able to Italian. But they loved one another and Ville was satisfied, because at least Venancia didn't have a horse, that galloped, kicked, and neighed.

I feel quite good about this one. I'm not sure why, say, in , "Joskus heidän oli vaikea ymmärtää toisiaan" 'he' is in the genetive, but mostly, I feel like I'm starting to get some of this stuff. I'm recognizing more words now, definitely, and will do some vocab cramming eventually, and review the translations sometime soonish.

I'm going to start on Teksti 2 -- will add some to this post when I get through that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6675 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 38
24 April 2007 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
MeshGearFox wrote:
... I keep getting that saada means to get. Is this literally the same construction as in English and Swedish where 'get' can mean to be allowed to? Like, I got to see the car today?

Yes, saada = get, receive (as a gift), be allowed to, just like "få" in Swedish.

I wouldn't say it works literally as "get", I'd say it's similar but even more so :o) ie. it goes even further in that direction than "get" does in English.

You'd use "saada" for "being allowed to" also in situations where you'd have "can" or "may" in English (the same goes for "få" in Swedish btw.). "Saanko mennä elokuviin" - "Can/may I go to the movies?".

Edited by Hencke on 24 April 2007 at 6:08am

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6675 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 38
24 April 2007 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
MeshGearFox wrote:
Day 10 (?)
---
Laura asked from him forgiveness, but Ville not any more wanted to be with Laura. He promised to give forgiveness, but ,even so, wasn't able to forget, that when Laura's horse neighed, Laura also laughed at (to—towards) him (laughed at him is correct, yes). Time passed. One day Ville went to his friend's birthday. There was also Venancia, a beautiful Italian student. Venancia had beautiful brown eyes and long black hair. Ville fell in love.

Ville and Venancia walked often in the evening together. Sometimes it was difficult for them to understand one another, because Venancia didn't speak yet Finnish very good, nor did Ville know Italian. But they loved one another and Ville was pleased (satisfied is ok too), because at least Venancia didn't have a horse, that galloped, kicked, and neighed.

I feel quite good about this one.

And with good reason ! Well done !
As you can see I have made some minor tweaks above, making an extra effort to preserve the "literal" style you use there.

MeshGearFox wrote:
I'm not sure why, say, in , "Joskus heidän oli vaikea ymmärtää toisiaan" 'he' is in the genetive

I can't explain the grammar for that, but "heidän" conveys the meaning that it was difficult "for them". Note that "heidän" is not the subject in that sentence. In fact there isn't one.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 38
24 April 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
I'll add that except for some certain adjectives as hyvä, paha, ikävä, hauska, mukava, helppo, vaikea, normally the adjective is in the partitive in such sentences. Some sources however note only hyvä and paha as the ones that should be used in the nominative here, so it's probably not a mistake to use any other adjective in the partitive. and there's not always a noun in the genitive in such sentences, sometimes there's an adverb instead, like in Täällä on kaunista - It's beautiful here; or sometimes there's nothing before "on", eg "On mielenkiintoista opiskella suomea".

MeshGearFox
United States
Joined 6476 days ago

316 posts - 344 votes 

Message 29 of 38
24 April 2007 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the corrections! Looking back over it, I think I generally see what I did wrong (except for leaving out 'eyes' in that one sentence. There have been a few instances prior where I've just completely skipped words and have gotten very confused).

I've toyed around with the idea of writing in, say, C++ or something, some sort of program which would decline any sort of regularly declining noun put into it. Not so much to actually use it, but more as a way of forcing myself to learn the various rules about how to derive stems and how they mutate.

I plan on starting a more aggressive apporach to vocabulary soon, starting with common irregular or semi-irregular words, and then probably just moving off from their and using something like wordlists for the various Ymmarra word lists. Or, as an exercise, I could just put each word I want to learn into every form of it. Since the vocab I need is mostly concentrated in one place, though, using the sentence method would also be quite viable.

---

Read up quite a bit on deriving the genitive stem tonight. Didn't translate anything, though. It doesn't seem as bad as I initially expected.

Edited by MeshGearFox on 25 April 2007 at 2:46am

MeshGearFox
United States
Joined 6476 days ago

316 posts - 344 votes 

Message 30 of 38
26 April 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Day 12 (I think)
---

Another paragraph done. As for genitive stems, I feel reasonable comfortable with behavior of -nen words at least. -si for genitive stem declension and -sta for stuff in the partitive seems reasonable enough. I don't particular understand the behavior of words that end in -s in the nominative. Is this a particularly large group of words? Given that it's freaking me out, I'm going to assume that it will be, without a doubt, the largest group of words in Finnish. Just to make my life difficult ;)

Quote:

Venancia ajatteli kotimaataan. Hänellä oli ikävä isää ja äitiä ja pikkusiskojaan. Hän katseli kauan perheensä valokuvaa. Kaikki olivat siinä niin iloisen ja onnellisen näköisiä. Venancia päätti kirjoittaa kotiin. Kun kirje oli valmis, Venancia päätti viedä sen läheiseen postilaatikkoon. Mutta miten hän uskaltaisi mennä jäisille kaduille. Hänen kauniit korkeakorkoiset italialaiset saappaansa eivät ole sopivat tähän ilmastoon. Sitten hän keksi. Hän vetäisi saappaittensa päälle Villen villasukat. Eikä hän kaatunut jäisellä kadulla yhtään kertaa.

Venancia thought about her home country. She had a longing for father and mother and her little sisters. She looked at for a long time her family's photograph. Everybody was, in it, glad and happy looking [does näköinen require the genitive?]. Venancia decided to write [in, lit.]to her home country. When the letter was ready, Venancia decided to take it to a nearby post office. But as such she dared to go into the ice streets. Her lovely high-heel Italian boots were not suitable in this climate. Subsequently she thought of that. She pulled Ville's stockings over her boots [Even if this is right... what?]. As such she didn't fall onto the icy streets at any time.

I feel very *un*confident about this bit. I think the first part is okay but I sort of fell apart towards the end.

Also, I'm not really sure how saappaittensa is inflecting.

Saapas is the nominative. Saappaa, thus, is the strong grade genitive stem. To make it plural, I add an i, and since the stem I'm working with ends in a double vowel (aa), I make it ai. Okay. That's half the word. -nsa is, apparently, some sort of third person possessive marker. Which leaves me wondering, then -- what's the -tte there?

Edited by MeshGearFox on 26 April 2007 at 12:03am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 38
26 April 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
-tten is the same ending as -den, just a bit more common in spoken Finnish.

as for -s words, there are quite a lot of them, but I'd say less than -nen words. and I guess the resource you used explains them in a too complicated way, since they're not really difficult. all words that have a single o or u before the s, get a k before it when declining (originally it was in the nominative stem as well). some -as, -äs and -is words do the same, but most get aan/ään/iin and undergo reversed consonant gradation. I believe the only words that don't are actually teräs, kannas and some names eg Tuomas, at least I can't remember any other atm.
now the words that have a diphtong before s, usually one that ends in -u/-y. here it depends whether the noun is derived from a verb (eg korjata->korjaus hence korjauksen) or an adjective (terve -> terveys - terveyden; I believe some words in this group are also derived from nouns, but can't come up with an example). Oh, and if there words ends with uus/yys, it always gets a -de in the genitive.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6675 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 38
26 April 2007 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Venancia thought about her home country. She had a longing for father and mother and her little sisters. She looked at for a long time her family's photograph. Everybody was, in it, so glad and happy looking [does näköinen require the genitive? - Answer: yep]. Venancia decided to write [in, lit.] (literally "into", but there is nothing literal about prepositions anyway) home (no "her" and no "country" there). When the letter was ready, Venancia decided to take it to a nearby post box. But how would she dare to go onto the icy (ie. ice-covered) streets. Her lovely high-heel Italian boots are not suitable for this climate. Then she knew what to do (*). She pulled Ville's woolen stockings over her boots [Even if this is right... what? - (**)] . And (***) she didn't fall on the icy street (singular) even once.

(*) keksiä = invent, among other things. In this case, keksiä = come up with the solution
(**) Answer: the slick leather surface presumably found on the soles of elegant italian boots is one of the most slippery things in existance on ice. The woolen stockings will provide a huge improvement in friction.
(***) "eikä" conveys the meaning "contrary to what would otherwise have been the case, she did in fact not fall"

Very well done, again ! You misunderstood some details but you got the general meaning all right.

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version