FXcuisine.com
Joined 7157 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 31
16 April 2007 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
Due to popular demand I will start a forum glossary to help members understand the local lingo. Once we reach a stable version I'll make it definitive so please consider this as work in progress.

FORUM GLOSSARY

6WC
Challenge launched by Sprachprofi, a forum member to see what could be learned from an unknown foreign language in 6 weeks with only 30 minutes a day. More info here.

ARDASCHIR
The pseudonym of Prof. Alexander Arguelles, academic linguist, polyglot and great contributor to this forum in its first year.

ASSIMIL
A French language program now available in English.

CHORUSING
The practice of trying to pronounce at the same time words in a foreign languages heard from a tape or sound file.

ECHOING
Repeating a sound, syllable, word or phrase after a speaker (person or audio tape). Different from chorusing in that the language learner repeats a word or phrase after the tape has said it rather than at the same time.

FIA
French in Action. A video course with accompanying text books.

FSI
Foreign Service Institute. Often refers to the language programs developed by the Foreign Service Institute, a branch of the US State Department, to train American diplomats. Often considered one of the top three language programs.

LEITNER SYSTEM
A simple spaced repetition flash card system which can be used with physical flash cards as well as computer programs.

LINGUAPHONE
A British language program styled in a similar way to Assimil.

MNEMOSYNE
An open-source spaced repetition flash card program. A simple alternative to SuperMemo.

PIMSLEUR
A popular audio-only language program based on spaced repetition and echoing with a wide variety of languages offered.

ROSETTA STONE, THE
Language learning software based on picture-word association.

SHADOWING
For Ardaschir shadowing is a synonym of chorusing (see above). For others, the practice of following each and every word in a foreign language tape or sound file or radio program etc... and trying to understand their meaning. Full discussion in What is "Shadowing"? and To Ardaschir, on "Shadowing".

SPACED REPETITION
A method that involves intervals between subsequent reviews of the material that increase upon each successful repetition.

SUPERMEMO
Polish flash-card software using spaced repetition.

TRANSPARENCY
The resemblance between two foreign languages from the point of view of the language learner.

This message is updated continuously. Please feel free to add more words that should be part of this forum glossary and let me know if the definitions above should be improved.

Edited by administrator on 17 April 2007 at 9:47am

23 persons have voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 2 of 31
16 April 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
PIMSLEUR
A popular audio-only language program with a wide variety of languages offered. Often considered one of the top three language programs.

FSI
Foreign Service Institute. Often refers to the language programs developed to train American diplomats. Often considered one of the top three language programs.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6739 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 3 of 31
16 April 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
When Ardaschir said he "shadowed" the tapes, he described it as the following:
Quote:

1) I do not simply "listen," I "shadow." "Shadowing" means that you say what you hear instantaneously (rather than in a pause thereafter, as in the FSI methods), preferably while in motion, at least while pacing your room, but ideally while walking in the woods.

So, isn't shadowing and chorusing actually the same?
1 person has voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6253 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 4 of 31
16 April 2007 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
LEITNER SYSTEM
A simple spaced repetition flash card system which can be used with physical flash cards as well as computer programs.

MNEMOSYNE
An open-source spaced repetition flash card program. A simple alternative to SuperMemo.

Also, I'd refer to SuperMemo as a "spaced-repetition" flash card program and not just a flash card program, because the most important thing about SuperMemo's design is spaced repetition; that spaced repetition is easiest (and most effective?) to do with flash cards is incidental. I also wouldn't call it a "Polish flash card program" because, though the software comes from Poland, that's irrelevant and potentially confusing information (the program has nothing to do with the Polish language, for example, except that I'd guess there is a Polish version of the software).

To clarify what "spaced repetition" is, we can define that as well:

SPACED REPETITION
A method that involves intervals between subsequent reviews of the material that increase upon each successful repetition.

(I don't know how often spaced repetition is talked about here, but if it isn't talked about much, I can guarantee it'll be talked about more often while I'm here. ;))

- Kef

5 persons have voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7157 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 31
16 April 2007 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Thanks - I'll update the initial post as your comments come in.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 31
16 April 2007 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Zorndyke wrote:
When Ardaschir said he "shadowed" the tapes, he described it as the following:
Quote:

1) I do not simply "listen," I "shadow." "Shadowing" means that you say what you hear instantaneously (rather than in a pause thereafter, as in the FSI methods), preferably while in motion, at least while pacing your room, but ideally while walking in the woods.

So, isn't shadowing and chorusing actually the same?

According to several members (including me) it isn't. The major difference is that you "sing" the chorus in unison with the track, and "follow" the spoken word as a shadow. If you and I meet, I can (try to) shadow your speech, and vice versa. We don't chorus.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6796 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 31
16 April 2007 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
LINGUAPHONE
A British language program styled in a similar way to Assimil.

FIA
French in Action. A video course with accompanying text books.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 8 of 31
16 April 2007 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Some suggestions to changes. My addendums in bold.

6WC
Challenge launched by Sprachprofi, a forum member, to see what could be learned from an unknown foreign language in 6 weeks, with only 30 minutes a day. More info in the thread Learning a language for 6 weeks.

ASSIMIL
A French language program now available in English. Often considered one of the top three language programs.

(This is the third one, right?)

CHORUSING
The practice of trying to pronounce at the same time words in a foreign language heard from a speaker (sometimes called classroom chorusing, if it involves a teacher and one or several students), tape or sound file.

PIMSLEUR
A popular audio-only language program based on echoing with a wide variety of languages offered. Often considered one of the top three language programs.

(or is this too much cross-reference?)

ROSETTA STONE, THE
Language learning software based on picture-word association.

Should we include links in the definitions? Like, linking to the Assimil homepage, the fsi-language-courses, etc.? Or just link to relevant threads within the forum, as in the Shadowing definition?

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version