United States
Joined 6330 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 31
17 April 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
THE NATURAL APPROACH
A language learning approach developed by Tracy Terrell and Stephen Krashen, starting in 1977. It is based on the following tenets:

1. Language acquisition (an unconscious process developed through using language meaningfully) is different from language learning (consciously learning or discovering rules about a language) and language acquisition is the only way competence (the tacit knowledge that underlies the language performance of a speaker of a language) in a second language occurs. (The acquisition/learning hypothesis)
2. Conscious learning operates only as a monitor or editor that checks or repairs the output of what has been acquired. (The monitor hypothesis)
3. Grammatical structures are acquired in a predictable order and it does little good to try to learn them in another order.(The natural order hypothesis).
4. People acquire language best from messages that are just slightly beyond their current competence. (The input hypothesis)
5. The learner's emotional state can act as a filter that impedes or blocks input necessary to acquisition. (The affective filter hypothesis)

Edited by leosmith on 18 April 2007 at 7:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6398 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 10 of 31
18 April 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
THE NATURAL APPROACH
A language learning approach developed by Tracy Terrell and Stephen Krashen, starting in 1977. It is based on the following tenets:

1. Language acquisition (an unconscious process developed through using language meaningfully) is different from language learning (consciously learning or discovering rules about a language) and language acquisition is the only way competence in a second language occurs. (The acquisition/learning hypothesis)

It is important to note that competence is used here in the technical sense that it has in linguistics - the tacit knowledge that underlies the language performance of a speaker of a language.

Edited by Linguamor on 18 April 2007 at 1:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6330 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 31
18 April 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
It is important to note that competence is used here in the technical sense that it has in linguistics - the tacit knowledge that underlies the language performance of a speaker of a language.

I updated it - does it look ok now?

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6252 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 12 of 31
27 April 2007 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
I still think that "Polish" should be removed from the description of SuperMemo because the software doesn't teach Polish, nor is it in the Polish language, and the definition doesn't make that clear. If you insist on keeping it, I'd reword it as "Flash card software using spaced repetition from Poland", or something similar, to avoid confusing the country and the language.

- Kef

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6283 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 13 of 31
30 April 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
LingNet and G.L.O.S.S. -The LingNet web site is a service provided by the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center. LingNet hosts materials developed at DLI by the Curriculum Development Division. These include both the "Countries in Perspective" series and the Global Language Online Support System (GLOSS).

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6252 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 14 of 31
30 June 2008 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
I think we should add the term "SRS", as that term is seeing some popularity:

SRS
Abbreviation: Spaced Repetition System. Any flash card program that uses spaced repetition (e.g., Anki, Mnemosyne, SuperMemo, jMemorize.)

And we still need to amend SuperMemo's entry to avoid confusing Poland with the Polish language. That problem has been there for a year now. I still recommend removing any reference to Poland because where the software is from is entirely irrelevant.

- Kef

4 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5739 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 31
15 August 2008 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
How about adding a definition for immersion? I get the impression that there are varying ideas of how long immersion experiences should be, how much if any non-target language communication is allowed, whether there should be a certain amount of classroom work or certain amount of interaction with target language speakers, etc.

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5721 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 16 of 31
03 September 2008 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
How about a definition for L-R? I keep seeing it around but haven't figured out what people mean by it (I think it means Listening-Reading? But what's the process? What do people do?).

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version