Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6215 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, Spanish
Studies: English, Russian

Message 1 of 15
29 April 2007 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Regional Variations: In Brazil, the portuguese speaks in extreme south its different, it's call "Gaucho Portuguese", because the italian, German and especially , Spanish influence and the geographic isolation .In Rio de Janeiro, the Portuguese its diferent too, it's call "Carioca Portuguese", because the influence of Jonh VI in begin of XIX century

Culture: Writers: Jorge Amado, Macahdo de Assis, Paulo Coelho

Difficult

Its very easy for Italian or Spanish speakers.

Links: To Spanish speakers, this site have a free course : www.aulafacil.com

1 person has voted this message useful

RoseNoire
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 6077 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 2 of 15
06 September 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Actually I would change the dificulty rating in the Portuguese language profile. In my eyes the Portuguese accent is one of the hardest to be spoken correctly by foreigners. Secondly Portuguese may be easy for Spanish-speakers from a written-language point of view but it is - as far as I have experienced - quite hard for them to get the Portuguese accent right.

I would thus at least rate Portuguese at the same lvl as Spanish - if not harder - because it is actually easier for Portuguese speakers to learn Spanish than the other way round :].

manny
Triglot
United States
Joined 6145 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 3 of 15
06 September 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
RoseNoire wrote:
... In my eyes the Portuguese accent is one of the hardest to be spoken correctly by foreigners. ... I would thus at least rate Portuguese at the same lvl as Spanish - if not harder - because it is actually easier for Portuguese speakers to learn Spanish than the other way round :].

Sim!!!

Pronunciation is the most difficult part. The five Spanish vowels are always pronounced the same while Portuguese has numerous exceptions. The Spanish speakers in my church find it very difficult to learn Portuguese. However, the Portuguese speakers seem to have no problem learning Spanish.

vista
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6182 days ago

38 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Basque

Message 4 of 15
07 September 2007 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
The accent is not so difficult, I believe it deserves the same rating as Spanish does.

In the Portuguese profile it has no writers listed in culture and says to help come up with some. tlcunha named a couple Brazilian writers, and I'll name a couple Portuguese ones.
Jose Saramago-the most famous one, won Nobel prize
Antonio Lobo Antunes
Eugénio de Andrade
José Luis Peixoto
Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen

In addition to those novelists, a very famous poet comes to mind:
Fernando Pessoa- he is famous for making up characters in his head and writing poems in their names, he had 3 favorite ones.

Edited by vista on 07 September 2007 at 4:57pm

Akatsuki
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 6085 days ago

226 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, English
Studies: Norwegian

Message 5 of 15
16 September 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Just to add my two cents.
Luíz Vaz de Camões wrote one of the greatest Portuguese books, Os Lusíadas.

Quote:
Written in Homeric fashion, the poem focuses mainly on a fantastical interpretation of the Portuguese voyages of discovery during the 15th and 16th centuries.

We also have José Maria Eça de Queiroz, that wrote "Os Maias", that is actually used at schools and has been adapted to TV Series and Movies.
"O Mistério da Estrada de Sintra" (Sorry for the Portuguese link), that recently has been converted into a Portuguese movie with the same name as the book.
"O Crime do Padre Amaro", also adapted to the big screen, another Portuguese movie, one of the best if I might add.
The last one that is also used for some schools to teach the art of Portuguese literature is "A Relíquia".
These are the most famous books he wrote. Without a doubt on of the greatest Portuguese novelists

Edited by Akatsuki on 16 September 2007 at 10:39am

Dreman
Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6077 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, Spanish

Message 6 of 15
17 September 2007 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
manny wrote:
RoseNoire wrote:
... In my eyes the Portuguese accent is one of the hardest to be spoken correctly by foreigners. ... I would thus at least rate Portuguese at the same lvl as Spanish - if not harder - because it is actually easier for Portuguese speakers to learn Spanish than the other way round :].

Sim!!!

Pronunciation is the most difficult part. The five Spanish vowels are always pronounced the same while Portuguese has numerous exceptions. The Spanish speakers in my church find it very difficult to learn Portuguese. However, the Portuguese speakers seem to have no problem learning Spanish.

Yes, yes, and yes!!! I never understood why I could understand my Spanish friends when the spoke Spanish but they never understood me when I spoke Portuguese. So true.

manny
Triglot
United States
Joined 6145 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 7 of 15
03 October 2007 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
In Part I in FSI's "Spanish to Portuguese":

"You will recall that Spanish has just five vowels ... These same vowel sounds, pronounced essentially as you know them in Spanish, occur frequently in Portuguese, but they are interspersed with seven additional vowel sounds, new ones that do not exist in Spanish."

This is why it is easier for Portuguese speakers to learn-understand Spanish, than it is for Spanish speakers to learn Portuguese.

Ruan
Diglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5968 days ago

95 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 8 of 15
28 December 2007 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
There are various accents at Brazil, but a foreigner who learned Portuguese could easily understand them. Some radically different dialects are in reality Creole languages or archaic dialects because they have different vocabulary and grammar rules. The foreigner should not ignore these dialects, but it's worthless to learn them unless if you are going to live where it is spoken.

I can't say very much about Portuguese and African-Portuguese literature, but Brazilian literature is one of the best in the world. Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas by Machado de Assis is recognized worldwide as one of the best books ever written, and everything he wrote is worth reading.

Whereas Machado de Assis is universal, Grande Sertão:Veredas by Guimarães Rosa is a Brazilian literature masterpiece. It describes, in a majestic way , the life of Brazilians who lived in the poorest places of the country. Its archaic and complicated language gets even native speakers in trouble, but instead of a deficiency it is one of the most interesting features of the book: the author reinvents the language with new words and idioms which made the text even more special. It's definitely the supreme prize for those who achieved fluency in the language.

But if you prefer something more easy and modern, Carlos Drummond de Andrade created the Brazilian poetry. Before him, the most of the Portuguese poetry was a imitation of the Portuguese classical literature, mainly inspired by books like Os Lusíadas.
His poetry is simple and objective, but is still beautiful and meditative. His writing is not about heroes and mermaids: it's about him. In a very personal way, he goes through common themes like working, desire, politics, frustration, sex and love.

I just quoted the authors whom I can remember without researching ; there are many other awesome guys whom I forgot. All in all, I think that Portuguese literature is active, alive and going well. It really deserves to be readed, even if you don't want to learn Portuguese. I garantee you that those who went through this adventure will not be disappointed.

manny wrote:

This is why it is easier for Portuguese speakers to learn-understand Spanish, than it is for Spanish speakers to learn Portuguese.

That's why you should be careful when trying to talk with Spanish speakers in Portuguese. The most of them will get your message, but someones will be angry because you're talking in a language which they don't like/ whose the people they don't like , or because you didn't make the effort to learn their language and know is trying to do it through a innapropriated way. It happens more in Europe, but in some cases it can also happen in Latin America.

Edited by Ruan on 29 December 2007 at 7:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version