Language Learning Forum : Collaborative writing Post Reply
15 messages over 2 pages: 1
00Banana
South Africa
Joined 5297 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes

Message 9 of 15
21 October 2009 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
I would like to mention Mozambican authors ( and other lusophone authors as well ). As far as I can perceive, their writing is quite mind-bending. You really get scents of many cultures, and that reading something that is almost metaphysical in subject. Mia Couto and Paulina Chiziane come to mind.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rggg
Heptaglot
Mexico
Joined 6107 days ago

373 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Malay
Studies: Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, Swedish

Message 10 of 15
25 October 2009 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
First of all, it is not my intention to start a discussion or anything like that .... it's just my personal point of view about something written in the Portuguese profile.

I don't particularly like the "speaking to your femme de ménage in Portuguese the ultimate of chic" part, I know it's not that big a deal, I know it's not meant to be demeaning and perhaps, native speakers don't even care at all about that remark ... but still, I feel that maybe it could be substituted for something ... let's say ... more constructive.

Again, I don't want to criticize whoever wrote that remark in the profile, I just wanted to express how I feel about it.

Rafaelodias
Tetraglot
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5175 days ago

11 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Italian, Spanish, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 15
23 February 2010 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
The Portuguese language is spoken as a first language in Portugal (10,6 million of speakers) and Brazil (190 million); as a second language in: Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, São Tomé and Príncipe, Mozambique, Macau and East Timor. There are 260 million of speakers.
As a foreign language Portuguese is not so popular as the other Romances, but if you have any interesse for the cited countries above it may be important for you. Most people tend to consider it as a "vacation" language although it has been becoming useful in South America also in the business environment and this language has been taught at schools in the countries of the Mercosul whereas Spanish is taught in Brazil as well.

Edited by Rafaelodias on 01 March 2010 at 1:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5277 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 12 of 15
24 February 2010 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
rggg wrote:
First of all, it is not my intention to start a discussion or anything
like that .... it's just my personal point of view about something written in the
Portuguese profile.

I don't particularly like the "speaking to your femme de ménage in Portuguese the
ultimate of chic" part, I know it's not that big a deal, I know it's not meant to be
demeaning and perhaps, native speakers don't even care at all about that remark ... but
still, I feel that maybe it could be substituted for something ... let's say ... more
constructive.

Again, I don't want to criticize whoever wrote that remark in the profile, I just
wanted to express how I feel about it.

Very fair comment. I'm not a woman, feminist, or Lusophone, nor am I offended at all,
but I do agree that something better could be written. Perhaps the chic factor of being
able to order a drink for your significant other in a Brazilian bar is a good substitute.

Julia A.
Diglot
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5134 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2

Message 13 of 15
05 April 2010 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Suggestions for the Culture topic:

Brazilians are known for their musicians, such as Tom Jobim, Caetano Veloso, Gal Costa, Elis Regina and Chico Buarque. Brazilian literature is represented by amazing writers, such as Machado de Assis, Jorge Amado, José de Alencar and Clarisse Lispector.

** Someone should suggest some musicians and writers from other countries as well. I'm afraid I'm not exactly versed in these topics, even though I simply adore José Saramago.

For the Regional Variations I would also suggest mentions of the Brazilians internal variations of the language, such as the extremely recognizable accent in the northeastern region.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5629 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 15
11 April 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
This thread isn't really a profile, is it? Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with the Portuguese language, as I had it as a subject at university, but I completely quit dealing with this language. As a result I don't feel competent of writing a profile. I would suggest that somebody with some real background knowledge should write the profile.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 11 April 2010 at 5:59pm

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5121 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 15 of 15
15 April 2010 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
From the Portuguese I know, I value it way above Spanish. I find it a little too easy. My accent is decent. There are several fluent Brazilians and Portuguese people here. So I will keep learning the language and practice.

By the way, this is NOT a profile.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version