jmlgws
Canada
Joined 6915 days ago

102 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 6
30 April 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
I was recently walking in a bookstore and saw "Colloquial Spanish" 1/2. I have seen the "Colloquial" series in the library before, but never used it. Does anybody have any experience with this method, and is it recommended? I know it is in many languages, so it might be good for me to get familiar with it at some point.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luigi
Diglot
Italy
Joined 6753 days ago

113 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 2 of 6
30 April 2007 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I don't know colloquial Spanish, since I don't study that language. However, not long ago I got the urge to learn Mandarin (you know, all that hype about Chinese) and I borrowed few programs: Teach yourself, Living language's Ultimate Chinese and Assimil. Well, none of them suited my needs.
At last I tried "Colloquial Chinese" and it was exactly what I was looking for: easy, packed with useful information and based on everyday situations.

Eventually I dropped Chinese (due to lack of interest) but I had really enjoyed that program. It was the perfect starting point for a beginner and it taught the language up to a good level.

The only flaw was the price: these "Colloquial" courses are a little bit more expensive than the competitors.

Furthermore, if one title of the series is good, that doesn't necessarily mean that so are the others. I know for sure that "Colloquial Russian" is as good, but I can't tell anything about Spanish.
I suggest you take a look at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk in order to read a few reviews on the product you are interested in.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

Edited by Luigi on 01 May 2007 at 4:31am

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6959 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 3 of 6
30 April 2007 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I bought Colloquial Malay in Singapore and I have borrowed a number of Colloquial programs for other languages from the library. In general, I would say they are useful.You could learn your language from the course and do quite well. I haven't seen Colloquial Spanish so I am unable to give an opinion.

There is a website that offers Colloquial programs at a discount but I will have to check it out. The full price can be rather high but even then it is better value than many other programs that are not as good.

Luigi
Diglot
Italy
Joined 6753 days ago

113 posts - 135 votes 

Message 4 of 6
01 May 2007 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
The full price can be rather high but even then it is better value than many other programs that are not as good.

I couldn't agree more. Even the kind of paper they used to make the book and the binding are better than Living-languages or Teach-yourself's.

If you manage to borrow the audio recordings from someone, then the price of the book is quite affordable.

Luigi
Diglot
Italy
Joined 6753 days ago

113 posts - 135 votes 

Message 5 of 6
01 May 2007 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
On Amazon.com they have all the Colloquial programs for Spanish. I didn't know that different courses for both European and Latin American Spanish were available.

Some interesting reviews from former buyers are also there for you to read, and it is even possible to consult electronically the first pages and the index from each book; this way you can see by yourself if these programs match your needs and expectations (just click on the image of the book on the top corner).

Colloquial Spanish

Colloquial Spanish 2

Colloquial Spanish of Latin America

Colloquial Spanish of Latin America 2

Edited by Luigi on 01 May 2007 at 5:52am

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6703 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 6 of 6
01 May 2007 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
I quite like the Colloquial series, more than the Teach Yourself series anyway. They seem to cover a wider range of languages and the quality of the courses seems to be quite consistent, unlike the Teach Yourself courses (where some are good and some are downright useless).

I don't know about the Spanish book but the ones I have for Dutch, French and Japanese have all been quite helpful for me.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version