Groupie
United States
Joined 5920 days ago

91 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 40
29 February 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
I took an immersion course in Cuernavaca, Mexico (Spanish of course). I spent 4 weeks there during June of 2007. I would highly recommend this experience!

The school we attended was held in a large private home, with amazing views! Classes were held primarily out on the various patios and open-air rooms of the home!

The homestay home we stayed in was a beautiful, comfortable home:

Accomodations in the homestay were nice and comfortable:

The school took us weekly on interesting trips around the city, including the open market:

...and a fish farm/bar & grill on the outskirts of town:

...and bus trips on weekends were EASY, fun, educational and life-changing... particularly the pyramids of Teotihuacan:

The white dots above are PEOPLE...

We also got to see (with a school trip) art, history and more than you would probably even see/do on a "vacation" ... except you leave with SO MUCH MORE than pictures and souvenirs. It's the ultimate souvenir: knowledge & culture

I'm so excited that I really never plan to take another vacation without going to a language school as a part of the trip... the longer you can stay, the better. I recommend 4-12 weeks at a language school.... live the life. It's amazing.

-Michael
1 person has voted this message useful

MegatronFilm
Triglot
United States
peligrosa.tumblr.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5723 days ago

130 posts - 275 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 40
25 August 2008 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Hi ZeroTX. What is the name of the school you attended in Mexico?

SarahL
France
www;lingua-links.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5580 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: French

Message 12 of 40
12 January 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
HI there,

I just found your website and wanted to let you know that having heard so many bad stories about overpriced and badly run language programs for kids wanting to learn English in the UK, I recently set up a company with another mum in the Uk to enable families to arrange their own total immersion or exchange trip for their children. We have had really great feedback from happy parents who feel this has really helped their kids improve their French and English. You can check out their testimonials on www.lingua-links.com

ZeroTX
Groupie
United States
Joined 5920 days ago

91 posts - 100 votes 

Message 13 of 40
12 January 2009 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
MegatronFilm wrote:
Hi ZeroTX. What is the name of the school you attended in Mexico?

Sorry for the extremely slow response. It was called Encuentros and it is located in Cuernavaca, Mexico. They have a website. http://www.learnspanishinmexico.com. Tell them "The Durans" sent you.

-Z

ZeroTX
Groupie
United States
Joined 5920 days ago

91 posts - 100 votes 

Message 14 of 40
12 January 2009 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
P.S. I returned to the SAME school for a second year and the experience was just as great. I'm happy to post more if anyone is interested.

ZeroTX
Groupie
United States
Joined 5920 days ago

91 posts - 100 votes 

Message 15 of 40
12 January 2009 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I can't help myself I have to show a few photos from this past year's trip. Believe me, once you try immersion learning you will probably fall in love with the language and the people and places where it is spoken.

We only got to spend 2 weeks this year, due to budgetary constraints on our end, but it was a great two weeks! Because there were a lot of teachers present at our small Spanish immersion school, the school's director chose to take us to a local Mexican secondary school, where the local Mexican school kids in Morelos gave us a great music and dance presentation:

Then a few of our "gringo" students were invited to join in!

Then we were paired up with a Mexican student to practice Spanish and to help them with their English! Truth is, we spoke 90% Spanish and it was the first time in my life that I remember "thinking in Spanish." These kids are great. The one on the left is one I keep in touch with online and hope she achieves her dream of becoming a vet! You make real connections to culture with this experience!

We made a second trip to Teotihuacan and the great pyramids of this lost city and were able to try out some of our Spanish by bartering with the vendors who have set up there on the ancient ruins...

The museum at Teotihuacan includes some great artifacts of the ancient civilization(s) that occupied this city in the past (it's actually Pre-Aztec)... here is a view from inside the museum at the majestic Pyramid of the Sun...

Get EXERCISE while learning Spanish!

Shop in local markets...

A cultural experience you will never forget. This man is over 100 years old and sits on this corner in Cuernavaca every day shining shoes and napping on his shoe-shine kit.

If you really want to learn what a language is about, DO THIS! http://www.learnspanishinmexico.com ... that's their website. The director, Jean, speaks perfect English (she's a California native) and perfect Spanish (she's been in Mexico 20 years). All of the instructors are native Spanish speakers from central Mexico. These are educated people, not the desert-dwellers you've seen in the movies.

I cannot say enough good things :) Hope you consider not a vacation per se, but going to an immersion school in a country that speaks the language you want to learn! What's next? Portugese? Italian? :P

-Z

jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5762 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds

Message 16 of 40
24 January 2009 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
ZeroTX wrote:

...and a fish farm/bar & grill on the outskirts of town:

This is slightly off topic but what kind of fish is that and is it any good?

It looks like it could be appetizing but I don't like the way it is served with the head still attached. It must be a cultural difference because here we're used to only being served filets.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version