Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6688 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 41 of 51
09 June 2006 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Some linguistics consider it as a dialect of Polish, some - as a seperate language, and the second theory seems to be more popular now. Now it has a status of regional (minority language), so it's possible for example to take a final exam in high school in Kaszubian too. There is a literature in Kaszubian, Internet websites, and as a additional language Kaszubian is used in some offices in its area.

In the Internet I've found that Kaszubian is related to Pomeranian, which is a group of Slavonic Lechitic dialects spoken in the Middle Ages on the territory of Pomerania. However, I would have to read more about Kaszubian, as I've written before, the opinions vary.
1 person has voted this message useful

brumblebee
Diglot
United States
Joined 6560 days ago

206 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 42 of 51
13 June 2006 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Is Serbian a good shortcut to Russian? I read somewhere that Russian would be easier if you learned Serbian first (rather than Polish or Czech) Does anyone agree?

laxxy
Triglot
United States
Joined 6904 days ago

172 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 43 of 51
13 June 2006 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
brumblebee wrote:
Is Serbian a good shortcut to Russian? I read somewhere that Russian would be easier if you learned Serbian first (rather than Polish or Czech) Does anyone agree?

Can't say for sure, but to me Polish is a lot more intelligible than Serbian.

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6637 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 44 of 51
13 June 2006 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Wikipedia shows two variants of spelling, Kashubian and Cassubian.

nox
Diglot
Groupie
Croatia
Joined 6646 days ago

62 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English
Studies: German

Message 45 of 51
20 June 2006 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
winters wrote:
nox - I can speak both Croatian & Russian. Russian is, if you know another slavic languages, relatively easy to learn. Compared to Croatian, it is much easier in the aspect of morphology; when it comes to the lexis, the vocabulary of both languages is fairly similar to a decent extent (there are, though, ENTIRELY different things and so-called false friends, but, nevertheless, you can still recognise and intuitively understand many of the unknown words). The spelling is somewhat more of a challenge because it is not phonetic (despite the subtle differences in Croatian between Č and Ć, and IJE/JE, the Croatian spelling is easier, because it is mostly phonetic, whilst Russian is not as much), but once you get used to it, it is alright ;) When it comes to pronounciation, a lot of the sounds match; Russian sounds softer, though, more palatalised (which is in the script indicated by "soft" sign; there is also a "hard" one), and I suppose the only "alien" sound would be the sound of Russian "hard I" (y).
Also, the words are stressed in the Russian in the different way, i.e.it takes some time to adjust and to intuively understand which syllabe is stressed.

Overall; I could write an essay about them, but the bottomline is, they are quite similar and Russian is easy to learn if you can speak Croatian. The other way round, as far as I've seen, is more complex (i.e.it is harder to learn Croatian from Russian), but still one does not have greater problems ;)
You asked about declensions. They are similar to some extent, BUT...a lot of it confuses. For example, the word "sestre" in Croatian is in the genitive case, but in the Russian it is dative, etc... Accusative mostly matches in the singular (e.g."sestru" in both languages).
I hope I helped.

Thank you, you gave me a good insight of Russian. I am sorry I didn't reply before. :)

brumblebee
Diglot
United States
Joined 6560 days ago

206 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 46 of 51
17 December 2006 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Which 5 Slavic languages are the most useful?

Obviously Russian is the first one

Eriol
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6651 days ago

118 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English

Message 47 of 51
18 December 2006 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
brumblebee wrote:
Which 5 Slavic languages are the most useful?

Obviously Russian is the first one

This calls for a completely subjective response:

Russian, Polish, Serbocroatian, Czech, Bulgarian

Now I will just relax a bit and wait for someone to tell me that:

1. I listed 7 languages, not 5.
2. Ukrainian theoretically has 44 million speakers.
3. I should spend the rest of my life studying slovenian mountain dialects because they are the most interesting.
7 persons have voted this message useful

orion
United States
Joined 6806 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 48 of 51
18 December 2006 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Which is easier for a Russian speaker to learn, Ukrainian or Bulgarian? I would guess Ukrainian, but I don't know for sure. In the learning sequence of a certain family (ie Slavic), is it better to start with the hardest and progress to the easiest, or vice versa? I have found Russian to be sufficiently challenging, so I doubt I will try to tackle another Slavic language.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version