Triglot
Australia
Joined 6741 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 17 of 21
19 May 2007 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Thuan wrote:
@Walshy: That's interesting. I saw the statistics on another site and I'm pretty sure that it was Korean which was preceded by an asteriks.

Let me know if you find it. I googled a bit for it but could only pull up the same one I posted above.
1 person has voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6246 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 18 of 21
19 May 2007 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
leosmith has touched an important point. It depends also on what you personally find harder. That goes both objectively and as a personal challenge, gratification etc. I get more gratification in piercing grammar than trying to get the pronunciation/intonation right. Maybe that's the reason I find grammar less challenging. Politeness levels do not worry me nor am I worried of causing giggles if I speak like a little girl. I find it more troubling not being able to be understood or understand something no matter how hard I try. A little girl (even if she's a 200 pound ogre) can go about her business more easily.

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6982 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 19 of 21
21 May 2007 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I find understanding spoken Mandarin quite easy. People speak it very slowly and clearly, I could usually perfectly transcribe the Pinyin of what is said even if I don't understand a word.

Hmmm that may be true of textbook mandarin, but I doubt that you will find this very easy to transcribe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=serKoEKBPls

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6269 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 20 of 21
21 May 2007 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
I'm not talking of textbook Mandarin. I haven't used textbooks in a while. I mean the kind of Mandarin I hear every day on the bus by Chinese students studying at my university (when chatting among themselves). I would find it much easier to transcribe than say the chatter between Greek students or even French-speaking African students, even though my French is quite advanced.

The video you mentioned is harder, both because of poor recording quality and because the one guy is talking quite fast, dropping syllables. I can still make out most syllables though. In Beijing I mostly had trouble understanding old people, but they were probably speaking Beijing hua.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 21 May 2007 at 4:46am

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6501 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 21 of 21
21 May 2007 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
Yeah, seriously. The biggest problem with that video is the crappy audio. I mean, he was speaking quickly, but actually pretty clearly. I've heard other people with other Chinese accents who were much harder to understand, including the old woman who worked at a restaurant that I ate at in Macau.

Or my girlfriend's mother, whose Mandarin is laced with a lot of Chaozhou pronunciations. The one that really stuck out was that, instead of saying qu for go, she would always say ki, which is the Chaozhou/Minnan pronunciation. I have to think when she's talking to me.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version