Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 14
21 May 2007 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Andy_Liu wrote:
Quote:
There's something to be said for learning German before Dutch: it has a lot more language learning material. I think Ardaschir's advice to learn French and German before anything else, for people intending to study a lot of languages, is sound.

In terms of learning material, which would be the easiest after English and German? There is FSI Swedish but, unfortunately, no FSI Norwegian.

There's Assimil Swedish (for French, Dutch, German, and Polish speakers - I don't see it for English speakers), Norwegian (for French, Dutch, and German speakers), and Danish (for French and German speakers). Pimsleur also has a Norwegian course. Beyond this, there are textbooks and phrasebooks. Also, after English and German, reading some free grammar outlines online and going to Wikipedia, or other sites in your target Scandanavian language, should be enough to get started reading native material with a reasonable level of comprehension; with fairly little German and no Dutch knowledge, I found Swedish quite easy to pick up a basic passive understanding of when I dabbled with it.

One unusual approach to Norwegian is described at the Norsk report - a guy taught himself to a reasonable level, largely using a catalog of Norwegian books (the catalog itself, not the books in it), and later using some actual books in Norwegian. Eventually, he gave it up as he found that Nynorsk and Bokmal were more mixed with each other and less standardized than he liked, and undergoing too many reforms [I don't know to what extent this is true - I've never studied Norwegian].

1 person has voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6462 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 10 of 14
21 May 2007 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
There is Schwedisch Aktiv and Norwegisch Aktiv. Both are available only in German. I only know the Swedish course (but I guess the Norwegian is similar). It's very comprehensive and should be enough to get you to a level where you can study by means of newspapers, books, music, etc.

The Assimil courses for Norwegian and Swedish are both excellent. For Swedish the German version is preferable (it contains both tomes of the French version and the layout and comments have been updated).

As I said, it's a good idea to learn German first, it gives you access to good learning ressources for the Scandinavian languages.

(That's because Germans are huge Scandinavia fans, see for example
Schwedenstube or Schwedengate)

Maxwell
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6479 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: French, English*

Message 11 of 14
21 May 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Great input and links and it certainly puts a little more into perspective.

I am learning Dutch first which may not be the best it appears as German seems like the logical choice given all the above, however Dutch is a necessity for me and the language that sparked my interest in learning the Germanic language group.

After reading all this would you guys and gals think it a good idea to go straight onto German after Dutch using the Assimil course (which I find great) but using a Dutch base? Do you think that it would be too confusing and more prudent to move onto a Scandinavian language? I just think that learning German next would open up a wealth of material.

After this I would move onto Swedish but using a German base. Obviously these are long term goals.

Maxwell.

orion
United States
Joined 6818 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 12 of 14
21 May 2007 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Maxwell wrote:
I am learning Dutch first which may not be the best it appears as German seems like the logical choice given all the above, however Dutch is a necessity for me and the language that sparked my interest in learning the Germanic language group.

There is nothing wrong with that approach. Dutch is easier for an English speaker than German. With a Dutch background, you should find German fairly easy. I found I could understand a lot of Dutch, without having studied it, from my study of German. Dutch will also give you easy access to Afrikaans. You may want to use an English base to learn German after Dutch, just to keep them (Dutch and German) straight.

Edited by orion on 21 May 2007 at 10:51am

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6462 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 13 of 14
21 May 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Maxwell wrote:
After reading all this would you guys and gals think it a good idea to go straight onto German after Dutch using the Assimil course (which I find great) but using a Dutch base? Do you think that it would be too confusing and more prudent to move onto a Scandinavian language? I just think that learning German next would open up a wealth of material.

I think it would be a good idea to learn German right after Dutch. There will probably be more confusion than with a Scandinavian language, but as German is so much more useful, it's better to learn it early in the process (unless you have a particular reason to learn another language first).

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6415 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 14 of 14
21 May 2007 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
The easiest learning sequence for a native English speaker would be

Scandinavian (Norwegian, Swedish, or Danish)
Dutch
German

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version