katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6642 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 33 of 33
04 June 2007 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
gperson000 wrote:
Does anyone here study a language simply for comprehension and not for communication? That is to say, do you only receive input from the language without producing output? There are languages that I would like to learn for the purpose of understanding without a need to actually speak the language. Is it possible to achieve fluent comprehension of a language without speaking the language?

I'm currently learning German and Portuguese with my only desire to be able to read and understand it. I'm not forcing the speaking part. I figure that'll come when it's time. For now, I can only see it getting me into trouble.

I can't answer your last question on a personal level, but I can think of countless friends and acquaintances who've told me they could understand the language of their parents, but not speak it themselves.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version