Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6687 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 1 of 35
09 June 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
This is a bit of an odd topic but I was wondering if anyone knows how Mormon missionaries learn foreign languages. I came across two missionaries today who spoke almost flawless Dutch after only a few weeks of language training. In Taiwan I also knew of missionaries who had mastered Mandarin in a very short time (I never did find out whether they also covered the written language, though).

I'm just wondering what kind of methods they use to learn a foreign language in such a short period of time. I'm assuming total immersion is a possible method but I'm still curious as to how these two missionaries speak better Dutch than I do after 7 months of living in the Netherlands. ;p
1 person has voted this message useful

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6300 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 2 of 35
09 June 2007 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
I worked with a Morman once who had a "mission" in South America. He said he went to a 2 month intensive course after a month of missionary school. From what he explained it didn't sound like he learned all that much.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6687 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 

Message 3 of 35
09 June 2007 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Jerrod wrote:
I worked with a Morman once who had a "mission" in South America. He said he went to a 2 month intensive course after a month of missionary school. From what he explained it didn't sound like he learned all that much.

That sounds very similar to what the two guys my boyfriend and I were talking to today. They told us they studied Dutch in the USA for 2 months before being sent on their mission. It's a shame I didn't ask what their learning methods were as they seemed to have worked very well for them. If only I could master Dutch as quickly as they did. :)

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6176 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 35
09 June 2007 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
My friend, who went to Brazil, had the same two-month training. The teachers were native speakers and other missionaries who had already been to Brazil. He said he couldn't understand anything when he arrived in Brazil but after two and a half months he was "fluent." He credits this to the fact that his fellow missionaries never spoke anything but Portuguese to each other.

EDIT: I forgot: he said he spent up to 12 hours a day talking to Brazilians.

Edited by newyorkeric on 09 June 2007 at 3:14pm

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6244 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 5 of 35
09 June 2007 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
lol, I think what you forgot speaks volumes, also having in mind that most of them are highly motivated to use the language. Lady, I do remember you saying that you disliked the language and that you were pretty muched forced to study it.

Edited by reineke on 09 June 2007 at 1:13pm

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6687 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 

Message 6 of 35
09 June 2007 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
lol, I think what you forgot speaks volumes, also having in mind that most of them are highly motivated to use the language. Lady, I do remember you saying that you disliked the language and that you were pretty muched forced to study it.

Indeed. It's not my favourite language but I still do want to learn it to basic fluency, if only to make my life easier. ;p

I understand that many of them are very motivated (so much of the world *isn't* Mormon, after all) but I've heard that they often don't choose which country to be sent to. That's pretty much chosen for them and they're made to learn the language prior to being sent off to that country.

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6649 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish

Message 7 of 35
09 June 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
I came across a video on you tube of a Mormon missionary speaking very good Polish after being in Poland for around 10 months. I was really impressed!

Same story - two-month-long crash course in the US and then off to Poland.

They are stationed in my city as well. Up until now I wasn't really interested in what they have to say, but now I'm intrigued. The next time I see them I'll come up to them to ask about their learning methods.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6244 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 8 of 35
09 June 2007 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
They are passionate about the message. Language is after all primarily a tool for communication/learning, and if you're passionate about something that a particular language facilitates, you'll learn it more easily. It could be learning Arabic to read old Greek philosophers or watch movies. I learned Italian "by accident" while watching TV. Spending a whole lot of time on it helps. You seem to have rather lowered expectations about learning Dutch, and I still feel the pain of learning it lol. Now, considering it's a rather easy language for an English speaker and especially for someone who has mastered something as foreign as Mandarin, I am assuming you must detest the task otherwise you'd be fluent by now.

I am suffering from a similar affliction :)    

Edited by reineke on 09 June 2007 at 2:46pm

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version