speedmathematics.com
Joined 6938 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 1 of 15
19 May 2005 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Is anyone on the forum learning Malay?

I would be interested to know what courses you use or have used to learn the language. There is a good Internet site for learning Malay and I have 101 Languages (Transparent) and Colloquial Malay, but there doesn't seem to be much available.

Any recommendations?
1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7048 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 15
19 May 2005 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
When I made a stab at Malay years ago in the frenzy of my wild ambitions to learn one of every kind of langauge that their was, I used Lingaphone's course, which was one of their older ones, thus quite sound structurally and highly to be recommended, particularly since you like Assimil-type learning. Having said that, I will mention something that I know you know full well already, but that other's might not, namely that Malay and Indonesian are essentially the same language. Thus, you could use Indonesian materials as part of your quest to learn Malay, and Assimil does now make an Indonesian course.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6938 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 

Message 3 of 15
20 May 2005 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Ardaschir. I didn't know that Assimil had an Indonesian course. I will be ordering it.

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6913 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 4 of 15
27 May 2005 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Assimil's Indonesian course is indeed good. You might also like to try 'Teach Yourself Indonesian' (2003 version) by Hodder or McGraw Hill, depending on whether you buy the Uk or the US edition. I am one of the authors.

While it is true that Indonesian and Malay are really two forms of the same langauge - Bahasa Melayu, and while the grammatical structure is the same, distinct differences in usage have developed between the two on a lexical level especially. One of the main differences is the influence of Dutch on Indonesian due to colonization by the Dutch, whereas the English colonized Malaysia at the time. For example, 'post office' in Indonesian is 'kantor pos' but in Malay it is 'pejabat pos' - the original Malay form being retained.

In addition, while the same words exist in both languages, sometimes the usage of one form is dominant over another, and it happens with a lot of common words too. For instance, Indoneians say 'berbicara bahasa Indonesia' whereas Malay speakers use 'bercakap bahasa Indonesia'. Both words are Melayu and exist in both langauges, but usage is different. Take the word 'pejabat' above, meaning 'office' in Malay. It is not readily understandable to an Indonesian in whose language it means 'staff'. Question forms are also slightly different - Malays like to use '-kah' more than Indonesians seem to.

What I am saying here is, while you do get two for the price of one, if it is Malay you are primarily interested in, then it is better to go with Malay if you can, especially in the beginning. You can ring the changes later on to convert your Malay into Indonesian. Malay is pronounced slightly differently from Indonesian too, so if you are using course audio, which I advise, it is better to hear and speak Malay if Malay is what you really want to learn.

As far as Malay resources go, I am afraid that they are rather scarse. However, if you are willing to wait a few months then Teach Yourself are also going to release a 'Teach Yourself Malay', in October of this year, I believe. I have nearly finished writing it!

It is a book for beginners, based on dialogues and, as with 'teach Yourself Indonesian' we have done everything possible to make suret he language in it is as authentic as possible. Like I say, it is for the beginner, and I dare say that you will have reached a level beyond its scope by October, but anyway, it's an option, or rather, it will be.

If you are going to Malaysia then you might find more resources in book shops there than those readily available on the Internet. Lack of resources is one ofthe biggest problems in studying the less popular languages.

Good luck!

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6938 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 

Message 5 of 15
31 May 2005 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for the information, Chris. I will look out for the program. I have been unable to get clear answers on the differences between Indonesian and Malay up until now. It was clear that some words were different (not many) but I wasn't sure of the extent of the differences.

My book on mathematics has been translated into Indonesian and I have wanted to know if it could be read and understood in Malaysia. What do you think?

I am currently using the Malay section of Transparent Languages 101 Languages of the World CDROM. I have recorded the dialogue and printed the text and made my own notes.

This, combined with the Malay course I downloaded from the Internet from http://pgoh.free.fr/Malay_Language/ will give me a good start.

I wish you success with your book.

julius302
Italy
Joined 6966 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 6 of 15
01 June 2005 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Take a look on the web at www.universalclass.com . They offer two online courses (Bahasa Indonesia Elementary and Bahasa Indonesia Intermediate). They charge about US$ 39 for course, but there's a tutor for assignments correction and online support. In addition, Mp3 files with the recording of the lessons and Indonesian songs are available for downloading.

Edited by julius302 on 01 June 2005 at 8:24am

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6913 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 7 of 15
07 June 2005 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
fanatic, I don't know whether you got it but I answered your question as best I could and gave you a further list of Malay/Indonesian resources and sugegstions by private messanger. If you didn't get it I could resend it.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6938 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 

Message 8 of 15
08 June 2005 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
I got your message. Thank you for the suggestions. Your mail answered my questions. I bought Colloquial Malay in Kinokuniya Bookstore in Singapore and I bought two of the Times books on Malay from MPH Bookshop.

Using all of the material together, it is giving me a grounding in the language. I am not very far advanced yet. The problem in Singapore was that everyone speaks English. I didn't even need Malay in Kuala Lumpur.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version