15 messages over 2 pages: 1
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7030 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 9 of 15
12 September 2005 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
I just started on the Pimsleur Indonesian for kicks. How close is it to languages like Tagalog & cebuano?
1 person has voted this message useful

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6955 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 10 of 15
25 December 2005 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
I just spent 2 months in Kuala Lumpur and had a look at the stuff available there. I'd recommend:

1) Speak Malay & Write Malay by Edward S King (ISBN 981 261 006 5 and 981 204 114 1)
These have very short lessons based on example sentences, presented side by side with english translations, with concise explanation of the underlying grammar. The author builds up vocabulary gradually, recycling it carefully, and in Write Malay introduces the affixes gradually too - starting with the most difficult one so you get plenty of practice.

Unfortunately no audio - ironically, given that the books are based on radio courses designed to popularise Malay shortly after Malaysian indepence. One flaw - the only exercises are translations + free composition 'based on what you've learnt so far'.

2) Standard Malay Made Simple by Dr Liaw Fock Hang (ISBN 981 204 212 1)
Seriously flawed: the lessons are too long, vocabulary is introduced too rapidly and recycled poorly.
I think this makes the book almost unusable for someone who doesn't have a significant vocabulary already. But there are very significant strong points:
- text based FSI type drills & copious additional exercises
- short example dialogs (the examples in (1) are too numerous to rote-learn)
- gradual introduction and formal explanation of sentence structures (ie subject-predicate)
- 'word formation': introduction of the Malay affixes, followed by word-by-word discussion of derivatives of the common root words
- 10 reading comprehension passages (4 with english translations)
- a list of about 300 high-frequency words with different Indonesian equivalents

I've worked through Speak Malay - and can speak about simple things haltingly. I'm working through Write Malay and plan to follow this up with Standard Malay Made Simple - which will be much easier to follow with an enlarged vocabulary.

I'm hoping to get enough audio input to improve my pronounciation & build my (very poor) listening skills using a borrowed copies of linguaphone Malay/ colloquial Malay...

Edited by onebir on 25 December 2005 at 4:00am

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6955 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 11 of 15
25 December 2005 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Incidentally, I studied some Indonesian (from the Teach Yourself book and tape) before going to Malaysia, but got really confused by:
1) differences in vocabulary
2) differences in question formation (see Chris's post above) and
3) most of all, different pronounciation.

on 3) I found this very clear comparison: Descriptive study of phonological differences between bahasa Malaysia & bahasa Indonesia by Farah Eleena Mahdzan
Just a pity it doesn't include any sound files...

Linas
Octoglot
Lithuania
Joined 6704 days ago

253 posts - 279 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Russian, Latvian, French, English, German, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Slovenian, Greek, Hungarian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese

Message 12 of 15
25 December 2005 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
ElComadreja wrote:
I just started on the Pimsleur Indonesian for kicks. How close is it to languages like Tagalog & cebuano?

Actually not very much similarity, although some words are indeed similar. In fact, the same degree of similarity as between different branches of Indoeuropean languages(eg. Romance with Germanic or Romance with Slavic). While Cebuano and Tagalog have among themselves relationship similar as two Romance or Germanic languages.

Tagalog and Cebuano have much more complicated grammatical structure than Bahasa Malaysia/Indonesia. They are caracterized by the grammatical category called "focus" which means that you shall use distinct verbal forms depending on what part of sentence - subject, object, place, instrument etc. you want to emphasize, put into focus.

Edited by Linas on 25 December 2005 at 4:10am

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6682 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 13 of 15
16 January 2006 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
I've been recently looking into learning some Malay and have bought the Lonely Planet's Malay Phrasebook to grasp some of the basics. Also, I've been checking out a great free course online at http://pgoh13.free.fr/malay_course.php for information on Malay grammar.

I'm just wondering if the rumours of Malay and Indonesian being easy languages to learn are true. One major plus point, in my opinion, is the lack of verb tenses (I hate those!) and grammatical gender. How hard has it been for you guys to learn Malay?

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6869 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 14 of 15
17 January 2006 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:
I'm just wondering if the rumours of Malay and Indonesian being easy languages to learn are true... How hard has it been for you guys to learn Malay?

I haven't really studied Malay, just Indonesian, but when I was in KL recently I managed to use my Indonesian - with a few altertaions - to some success. One thing is that there are a number of the Chinese Malays that don't actually speak Malay all that well; just their Chinese dialect and English. I also have an Indian Malay friend that was raised in Johor Baru and speaks only English - although I think he's a rarity.

Indonesian and Malay are 'easy' languages as far as grammar is concerned, but get virtually no transparency with vocabulary (from English - or other languages aside from Arabic and the like). So basically, what you gain in grammar with regards to difficulty, you have to make up in the vocabulary department.

Edited by andee on 19 January 2006 at 2:47am

Duke
Groupie
United States
Joined 6811 days ago

76 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 15
18 January 2006 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Is Assimil Indonesian available for English speakers? I do not speak French.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version