sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 81 of 197
07 September 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
I'm now past the 3/4 way mark in Assimil, and even though the lessons have definitely become more challenging, I'm still much more relaxed now that I don't have to worry about creating Heisig stories every day.

I'm also progressing bit by bit with the parallel text for Miyazawa's "Night on the Milky Way Train." It seems like that book is a good place for me to start, as I'm already familiar with most of the kanji and even a fair amount of the vocabulary, too. Therefore I think I'll go through all of Miyazawa's other stories before moving onto works by other authors.

Edited by sheetz on 07 September 2007 at 5:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6518 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 82 of 197
07 September 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Nice going. Reading real Japanese is hard in the early stages, but if you can do it, you'll get a much better feel for the logic of the language.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 83 of 197
08 September 2007 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
Nice going. Reading real Japanese is hard in the early stages, but if you can do it, you'll get a much better feel for the logic of the language.

Yes, I do realize it will be tough at the beginning, but for now my goals are quite modest. At this early stage I'm just hoping to pick up some useful vocabulary and improve my reading speed and listening comprehension. As I read more books, however, I would expect my knowledge of Japanese to increase at a much more rapid pace.

Edited by sheetz on 08 September 2007 at 5:06pm

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 84 of 197
11 September 2007 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
I finally finished creating the parallel text for "Night on the Milky Way Train." It was actually good practice as it often forced me to look up unknown words and recall vocabulary and kanji that I had already studied. I think before I start diving into L-R I'll continue to make parallel texts for a few other works while I finish up with Assimil. I'm currently at lesson 81 there so it would only be a few more weeks.

Edited by sheetz on 11 September 2007 at 10:45am

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 85 of 197
14 September 2007 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Finished creating the parallel text for "Restaurant of Many Orders." At first I wasn't going to create one for this story since I already have the bilingual text, but unfortunately the way it's printed in the book the original and the translation aren't always right next to one another; sometimes the translation will be a few paragraphs up or down, or even on another page. So I decided to just go ahead and make my own. In order to save time I was also going to use the online translation, but I felt the translation in the book was better, hence I ended up using that one and typing it in by hand.

The dialogs in Assimil are getting to be very difficult, with lots of lengthy, complex sentences so I'm reviewing them more times than I have had to in the past with previous lessons. Fortunately, my kanji reviews are getting easier as the number I have to review each day continues to dwindle.

Thuan
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6680 days ago

133 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese, German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Romanian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 86 of 197
16 September 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
About to finish Heisig chapter 42.

Would it be possible for you to share the parallel text for "Night on the Milky Way Train"? I´ve also begun to work on a parallel text, this could save me some time.

Next text that I´m going to work on is Natsume Soseki´s Kokoro. This is going to take some time.

Thuan
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6680 days ago

133 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese, German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Romanian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 87 of 197
16 September 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
BTW, my email-address: vtp3@yahoo.de

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 

Message 88 of 197
17 September 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Finished parallel text for "The Nighthawk's Star."

I wasn't aware of it until now, but it was brought to my attention that if you copy the Japanese transcripts from Aozora into Microsoft word, the pronunciation in parentheses following some of the kanji are automatically converted into furigana. Well, I've already done a couple of parallel texts in Open Office, and I don't feel like going back and doing them in Word, but I'm definitely going to do all the parallel texts in Word from now on.

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version