Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5764 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 185 of 197
29 October 2008 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if you are already familiar with this page, but I think they have some cool audiobooks in Japanese. http://jclab.wordpress.com/
So good luck with your studies and keep us updated on your progress on Harry Potter ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

vtedin
Argentina
Joined 5760 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 186 of 197
11 November 2008 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
I didnĀ“t have the time to thank you for the information. I already got in the page an download Lemon by Motojiro Kajii, a wonderful story. Once again, thank you very much.
Virgilio
1 person has voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 187 of 197
08 January 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Happy New Year! It's been forever since I last posted, but I'm still plugging away at HP Book 5. I'll probably order books 6 and 7 just to finish the series, but I'm ready to move onto something else.

I recently paid a visit to a BookOff bookstore, where they sell used Japanese books starting at only $1 apiece! I walked out with a bunch of books in Japanese, including the complete Lord of the Rings series in translation. The language used in it doesn't seem much harder than what is found in HP, but there's no furigana. Not a big deal for me at this point, fortunately.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Durben
Diglot
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 6369 days ago

42 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German

Message 188 of 197
12 January 2009 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Hi sheetz,

Congrats on your achievements, it really is an inspiration to read your log :-)

With the knowledge that you have now, what would you recomend to a newbie that is a about to start? What do you before that you would not do now if you were starting again? What would you do instead?

No Pimsleur?
Assimil, Japanesepod101 and "Remembering Kanji I" at the begining?

sheetz
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 189 of 197
16 February 2009 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Durben, sorry about not responding to you sooner. I don't visit here much anymore now that I'm at the mid-high intermediate level in Japanese reading proficiency. To answer your question, what would I change? Well, I can't really say that anything I did was a complete waste of time. However, I can definitely say that the most valuable materials for my expressed goals were Assimil, Heisig, Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate Japanese Grammar, flashcard programs, and the Harry Potter series. Each one of them was a tremendous help at particular stages of my learning and when the time comes for me to pick up another language I will definitely try to obtain analogous materials for that new prospective language.

As for my current progress, I have to admit I'm getting sick of Harry Potter and his Adventures in Teenage Angst. Volume 5 is just so damn long and boring I just want them all to die so the story can be over and done with. For this reason once I finally get through this volume I will find something else. Perhaps in a couple of years, when the paperback versions of Vols 6 and 7 are released I may come back to them.

Edited by sheetz on 16 February 2009 at 2:14am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Shadow1984
Groupie
United States
Joined 5239 days ago

53 posts - 57 votes 
Studies: German

Message 190 of 197
01 December 2009 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Hey Sheetz,
I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your studies with us. There is a lot of useful tips in your blog. Also, congratulations to getting in the state you are in now with your Japanese!

dbooster
Japan
japandave.com
Joined 5181 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 191 of 197
11 January 2010 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Sheetz-

Congrats on the amazing progress in Japanese! I was so inspired by your posts I registered on this site just so I could reply. I've lived in Japan longer than you've been studying the language and I don't think my level is even half of what yours is. Amazing job!

emy5
United States
Joined 5099 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 192 of 197
03 April 2010 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for the post and links!!
I was wondering if anybody knows where can I find a Harry Potter(any of the books is good)audio book in Japanese??

This discussion contains 197 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version