United Kingdom
Joined 6189 days ago

164 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 15
21 June 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Salut!

Unless I can be pointed in some direction otherwise, I have found a laborious method for obtaining the FIA audio which is streamed on this website.

The method involves downloading a sound recording program, called FREE Hi-Q recorder, you can google this up; I have forgotten the link. The rest is pretty intelligible to all but the luddites of today; you simply press record and play the audio stream, and the file comes out as an MP3 recording.

If at all possible, I may upload the files on to an upload site of some sort, such as bigupload.

I pray that if somebody has an easier (free) method of obtaining the audio files in their entirety, that I shall be stopped in my tracks. If that isn't the case, then watch this space!
1 person has voted this message useful

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6903 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 15
21 June 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
HTale wrote:
I pray that if somebody has an easier (free) method of obtaining the audio files in their entirety, that I shall be stopped in my tracks. If that isn't the case, then watch this space!

You can actually live without the audio. Don’t get me wrong the audio is an excellent course, but if do don’t want to spend the $300 in money or the time in downloads then I recommend doing three things:

1)     Buy the FIA textbook and workbooks.
2)     Use French audio course to master pronunciation. You can cheat at FSI just by using it as listen and repeat course. SmartFrench is a reasonably priced alternative.
3)     Watch the videos until there is nothing to improve.

The nothing to improve bit is subjective. Ideally you will get to the point where you can interact with the audio – answer the questions and participate in the dialogs. The FIA audio concentrates on two things: pronunciation and the question and answer you play the role of audio exercises. The pronunciation exercises can be replaced by set 2 above. Once you have a good command on the sound of French, and have watch the videos a few times, the FIA textbook workbooks exercise will fall into place – even without the FIA audio. It takes some persistence, but it works.

Edit: Besides the price, the FIA audio is expensive in terms of time. While it is the best course, I found I’ve used courses such as Assimil more than the FIA audio. That is why I’d recommend starting with the video and the books and see if those do the trick before starting to master the audio. The books have a full transcript of the audio program and once you have a good command of French pronunciation you can do the exercise without the audio. Maybe it is not quite the same thing, but it is cheaper in terms of time and money. Once you get a good foundation in French the audio is a great way to simulate conversation, but if you are on a budget there is no reason why you can’t use your imagination and use the videos.

Edited by Farley on 21 June 2007 at 4:02pm

dpoesc
United States
Joined 6416 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 15
22 June 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
That would be great HTale, the problem I have with FIA is that I'm tied to my computer - keep us posted!

Sulis
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6262 days ago

60 posts - 66 votes 

Message 4 of 15
26 June 2007 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I would love to find an easier solution too!

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6502 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 15
05 July 2007 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
HTale wrote:

Easier way:
http://www.vatoweb.com/french.html

Sulis
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6262 days ago

60 posts - 66 votes 

Message 6 of 15
05 July 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
LilleOSC wrote:
HTale wrote:

Easier way:

Thanks for the link, but it unfortunately does not contain all the audio exercises for FIA - there are many more for each lesson.

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6627 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 7 of 15
05 July 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Sulis wrote:
LilleOSC wrote:
HTale wrote:

Easier way:

Thanks for the link, but it unfortunately does not contain all the audio exercises for FIA - there are many more for each lesson.

But the site that they're linking to _does_ have all of the files. You just have to know where to look. For example:

http://otter.middlebury.edu/ns-media/frenchmedia/action/07-0 2.mp3

is a live link.

All of the audio for the exercises is in that directory, and they are named extremely regularly. I downloaded all of them a couple months back by writing a script that simply tried to download every audio file, from chapter 1 to chapter 52, 01-99. So it would try 02-01.mp3, 02-02.mp3, 02-03.mp3, ..., 02-99.mp3, 03-01.mp3, etc. I also downloaded [0-52]-01[a-z].mp3.

If you're interested, I could easily whip up a list of links for you to download later today.

Sulis
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6262 days ago

60 posts - 66 votes 

Message 8 of 15
05 July 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Thanks - that would be fantastic!