99 messages over 13 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 12 13 Next >>
Monte Cristo
United States
Joined 4962 days ago

26 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 81 of 99
24 November 2010 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Where can I find Russian without Toil that doesn't cost an absurd price that nobody would pay?
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6160 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 82 of 99
24 November 2010 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Monte Cristo wrote:
Where can I find Russian without Toil that doesn't cost an absurd price that nobody would pay?

I found it for $3.99 on AbeBooks. I just checked now and then until I found a reasonable price.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7002 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 83 of 99
09 February 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
zack wrote:
Check out www.ecampus.com. They have lots of Assimil programs at very reasonable prices. I just ordered advanced French (CD version, English-based) for less than US$53.

[EDIT: Over a month later the course has still not shipped. They sent an email apologizing. So I cannot recommend that seller after all as they advertise products not in stock.]

I 100% agree with you. Ecampus should be avoided at all cost. I ordered the book "El ingles perfeccionamiento." for $30 sent to my Auntie in California. She did not want to open it, as she was afraid of damaging anything. I showed up a couple of months later to open the package and there was absolutely no book inside, only the receipt for $30.
It would be a losing battle to even reason with them, since so much time had passed. In other words they took my money and gave absolutely nothing in return.

Edited by alang on 10 February 2012 at 8:18pm

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4683 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 84 of 99
18 June 2012 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Bump! haha

After about a month of researching prices, here is what I have found. (note, this is
for Americans. - idk if they ship internationally)

1. Go to assimil.com and search for the course isbn numbers you want
2. Match them to http://www.schoenhofs.com/ where they have their own assimil section.
Granted, the pictures and the descriptions don't match, but CHECK THE ISBN number. I
think I saw Persan sans peine but the picture was for aleman sin esfuerzo? No matter -
the ibsns match.
3. The book + CD or Book + mp3 packs are about 50 USD a piece, which is the best I've
found for getting the audio and the book together. It seems getting a book cheap isnt
a problem; it's getting the audio that's a pain in the butt. They have a wide
selection, and for the more common languages like German, Spanish, English I'd
reccomend checking that bookstore out!

Here's to hoping that they are good bookstore to do business with...
2 persons have voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4492 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 85 of 99
19 June 2012 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Please let me know your experience after ordering :)

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5126 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 86 of 99
22 June 2012 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I second the request for advice on Schoenhof's. They seem to have some Assimils in stock which are difficult to find elsewhere. Their site is down at the moment though.

I'm wary of ordering directly from Assimil as it seems their checkout pages are not secure.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 87 of 99
22 June 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
I second the request for advice on Schoenhof's. They seem to have some
Assimils in stock which are difficult to find elsewhere. Their site is down at the
moment though.

I occasionally shop at Schoenhof's near Harvard Square, and I've always had excellent
experiences there. The staff seem to be very good folks—helpful, knowledgeable and
ready to go the extra mile for their customers. (Last week, they kept the store open 20
minutes past closing time so I could reward myself with a stack of French BDs after my
DELF exam.)

They have an excellent selection and they can special-order books from all around the
world. I've been especially impressed by their French selection (one of their largest)
which includes not just all the obvious classics but also things like modern science
fiction.

I can only think of two drawbacks to Schoenhof's:

1. Their prices can be steep.
2. If you browse in person, it's really easy to buy more books than you planned.

But in any case, if you ever have any problems with Schoenhof's, it's easy to get in
touch with a real human being. I've had them answer emails in under two hours.

For more reviews, see their Yelp page. These reviews seem pretty accurate:

More reviews

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5126 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 88 of 99
23 June 2012 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Well, I tried to place an order but received an error message stating there was a problem with my credit card and asking me to try again (my card works fine with every other online store). I did so about four times before I gave up.

Now I look at my credit card details online and see the amount of the order was indeed subtracted from my account four or five times. I wonder now what terrible headache it's going to take to sort all this out. I attempted to use their "Live Chat" option but of course it's offline.

Their service at the physical store might be good, but their online shop is atrocious. Definitely do not recommend.

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version