Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Listening-Reading system

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
489 messages over 62 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 53 ... 61 62 Next >>
atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 5986 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 417 of 489
30 January 2008 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
atamagaii wrote:
Listening-Reading in a teeny weeny nutshell:

LOVE + Listening-Reading (INCUBATION period and then natural listening) + pronunciation = speaking + writing.

Use LONG novels right from the start. If the languages are different the first three hours should be translated word for word. If they are similar, it is not necessary.
There's nothing miraculous about it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 418 of 489
30 January 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
I've tried L-R with Portuguese, but I found it mentally tiring to spend more than 20-30 minutes at a time listening to an unfamiliar language :(
1 person has voted this message useful

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 5986 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 419 of 489
30 January 2008 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
To Serpent

Make a break after twenty minutes. To get used to L-R, try a simpler language, Polish or Ukrainian. Or a language you already know a little bit. Use a simple text, something moving, Le petit prince or Hans Christian Andersen.
And make sure you get enough sleep.

English-French:
stultorum.pochta.ru/aaaa/Kafka - AF METAMORPHOSIS.7z

German-English:
stultorum.pochta.ru/aaaa/Kafka - NA Die Verwandlung.7z

German-French:
stultorum.pochta.ru/aaaa/Kafka - NF DIE VERWANDLUNG.7z

Spanish-Polish:
stultorum.pochta.ru/aaaa/Cela - La familla de Pascual Duarte H-P.7z

atamagaii wrote:
Listening-Reading in a teeny weeny nutshell:
LOVE + Listening-Reading (INCUBATION period and then natural listening) + pronunciation = speaking + writing.

Use LONG novels right from the start. If the languages are different the first three hours should be translated word for word. If they are similar, it is not necessary.
There's nothing miraculous about it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6808 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 420 of 489
30 January 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I've tried L-R with Portuguese, but I found it mentally tiring to spend more than 20-30 minutes at a time listening to an unfamiliar language :(

I had the same experience. I find it boring to listen in one language and read in another. I enjoy reading in the target language.It is stimulating and almost sensual.

I enjoy listening to the target language in the same way. I have pleasant memories of listening to beginner material in Russian while jogging on holidays, or listening to I Promessi Sposi in Italian or The Romance of the Three Kingdoms in Chinese.

I also do most of my language learning while in the car, jogging, gardening, doing the dishes etc. while listening to my iPod. I read Tolstoi before going to sleep.I use a lot of dead time that way.

I only have to invest a small amount of time in deliberate "learning" activities, mostly on the computer. The rest of the time is enjoyable.

For me, listening to the target language and reading in my own language is like work and it causes my brain to wander, the native language is a distraction. I do not have the feeling of language adventure that motivates me when I learn.Eventually I nod off to sleep.

I realize that this may not be the majority view here, but I am curious to know if anyone has had the same experience.

Edited by Zhuangzi on 30 January 2008 at 1:04pm

michau
Tetraglot
Groupie
Norway
lang-8.com/member/49
Joined 6006 days ago

86 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, NorwegianC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Sign Language
Studies: Burmese, Toki Pona, Greenlandic

Message 421 of 489
30 January 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
For me, listening to the target language and reading in my own language is like work and it causes my brain to wander, the native language is a distraction.

Try using a language other than your native one. I do L-R by listening to Mandarin and reading in English, so any improvement in my English is a bonus.

Edited by michau on 30 January 2008 at 1:29pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 423 of 489
30 January 2008 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
Serpent wrote:

I had the same experience. I find it boring to listen in one language and read in another. I enjoy reading in the target language.It is stimulating and almost sensual.
It makes no difference in what language I'm reading. listening and reading in the same language is as tiresome for me :/

Edited by Serpent on 30 January 2008 at 1:45pm

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6808 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 424 of 489
30 January 2008 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Zhuangzi wrote:
Serpent wrote:

It makes no difference in what language I'm reading. listening and reading in the same language is as tiresome for me :/

Ditto. Listening, especially to a well done audio book is a wonderful experience, so is reading. Both allow you to conjure up images in your mind. Listening while reading, in any language, or combination of languages is like work. I cannot lose myself while doing it.

I occasionally stream on the computer while reviewing a new and difficult text where I have saved a bunch of words. This is work.

Mostly I listen and read separately.

This discussion contains 489 messages over 62 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version