Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Listening-Reading system

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
489 messages over 62 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 55 ... 61 62 Next >>
apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6437 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 434 of 489
01 February 2008 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm slowly working on a parallel version of 'Le Rêve' by Émile Zola that corresponds to the audiobook I downloaded.

I figure it's one of the languages that I can confidently edit and will hopefully come in handy for others, as well. (My parallel 'Don Quijote' has yet to be started!)

I've been somewhat chagrined to see the English version had been somewhat censored in translation. There are rather poetic descriptions of torture that are neutered, adjusted or left out altogether (odd to say 'poetic', I know, but it's the torture of saints, so it has a poetic feel to it). It's one more reason to attempt to read the great works in the original language.

The audio files are at litteratureaudio.com and if anyone wants the first two chapters (of 14) that I've completed, PM me and I can rapidshare them for you. Otherwise, I'll just post a link to the whole file when I'm done (it might be a few weeks. I don't know for sure)

Edited by apparition on 02 February 2008 at 5:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6248 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 435 of 489
01 February 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I think I've come up with a way to make literal translations of stories, but you still need to go over them a little to fix certain sentences.

We could use Google translate to help us speed up the process. It translates really quickly, but does make some mistakes that you'll have to go back over and fix. I'll give an example of the translations though, using Gustave Flaubert's Un coeur simple.

Pendant un demi-siècle, les bourgeoises de Pont-l'Évêque envièrent à Mme Aubain sa servante Félicité.

Pour cent francs par an, elle faisait la cuisine et le ménage, cousait, lavait, repassait, savait brider un cheval, engraisser les volailles, battre le beurre, et resta fidèle à sa maîtresse,—qui cependant n'était pas une personne agréable.

Google Translation: (I bolded mistakes google made)

For half a century, the bourgeoisie of Pont-l'Eveque envièrent Mrs. Bliss Aubain her servant.

Percent francs per year, she did the cooking and cleaning, sewed, washed, Ironed, knew restrain a horse, fatten poultry, beat butter, and remained faithful to his mistress, however, that was not a nice person.

Even though it does make mistakes I think this is a great time saver and the text will be a lot more literal, since a google translate doesn't censor things; I don't think

Edited by vanityx3 on 01 February 2008 at 7:41pm

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6234 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 436 of 489
02 February 2008 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
I am working on "Eugene Onegin" by Pushkin, it will be Russian-English. I'll finish it soon, so if anyone's interested let him tell me.

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 5993 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 437 of 489
02 February 2008 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
                                                      PRONUNCIATION

AWARENESS
inventory of the phonemes of your mother tongue
movements of the lips and tongue to produce the phonemes

inventory of the phonemes of the target language
phonematic listening: minimal pairs, tones
phonetic listening: stress, rythm, intonation

careful comparison of L1 (=mother tongue) and L2 (= target language)
(Try to) listen to L2 speaker speaking L1

PRODUCTION
Do not try to speak until you've reached the stage of natural listening (= only after the incubation period of the L-R)

Repeat after the speaker what you only understand (the meaning) and can hear properly (phonemes, rythm, etc)

Listen-repeat - if it's correct: listen-repeat, listen-repeat
                           if it's not correct, do not repeat any more, only listen

First small chunks (even syllables) here and there while natural listening to something you enjoy, then the chunks will get longer and longer.

Shadow (= repeat after the speaker(s)) longer sentences and texts.

Recite: choose a few of your favourite pictures (to create a context and "psychological environment"), put on some pleasent background music, and imagine why the people (or things) in the pictures use a word, chunk, sentence, short dialogue you've just shadowed; play all the people (things)

Blind shadowing (without understanding) is a waste of time and effort.

2 persons have voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6437 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 438 of 489
02 February 2008 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Question about the system...

Since you're not supposed to read the L2 before you get to the 'natural listening' stage (after Step 3, to avoid putting your L1 pronunciation on it), do the texts need to be parallel during Steps 1-3? In other words, should learners be using ANY L2 texts while in step 3?

Thanks!

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6234 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 439 of 489
02 February 2008 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
The thread is 8 months old and 55 pages long. Has anyone other than the topic starter actually learned a language following this method?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 440 of 489
02 February 2008 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
The thread is 8 months old and 55 pages long. Has anyone other than the topic starter actually learned a language following this method?

It seems so.

This discussion contains 489 messages over 62 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version