Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Listening-Reading system

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
489 messages over 62 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32 ... 61 62 Next >>
siomotteikiru
Zaire
Joined 6111 days ago

102 posts - 242 votes 

Message 249 of 489
01 August 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
to asad

It might sound strange but the ASSAULT (massive exposure for hours on end) is a reward for good life.

Do you love what you’re doing?
Have you ever read books for hours, days or weeks on end with constant joy and wonder?

Do you get enough sleep?

1 person has voted this message useful

sergiu
Diglot
Romania
freewebs.com/invata_
Joined 6189 days ago

105 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: German

Message 250 of 489
01 August 2007 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Yes Asad ,if you really enjoy reading,then you can do it all day long,and viceversa.But what you're doing is still progress,no need to "panic".
But maybe that also depends on the person,so 12 hours is simply too much and you need to be doing something else for a change.

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6205 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 251 of 489
01 August 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged 

Yes, I do....but still I feel that listening to one's voice reading something at a stretch is boring to some extent. I need breaks in between so that my mind can be focused on deciphering and understanding the context. If I take breaks in between, I will not be able to listen to the novel for 12 hours straight.
No matter how i love studyng languages or doing maths I can not work at it all day long. My mind will feel tired and bored.

[B}Have you ever read books for hours, days or weeks on end with constant joy and wonder?

Not really. two-three hours a day at best. I am learning English. I had read 3-4 graded readers when I was a beginner and it took me atleast a week to finish one off. I had read two printed novels so far and each one took one month to finish off. I normally read short piece of articles on my choosen topics on the internet but no lengthy books. In fact, they dread me a lot. My reading speed is not good, I feel like. It is 200 wpm. Reading books is not my cup of tea, but reading short articles is. I derive pleasure from reading something that holds my imagination, when my adrenalin feels moving fast. I have hardly come across such writing either on online forums or articles published elsewhere.

Do you get enough sleep?

10 hours a day. To tell you the truth, I am not the fittest man. I am overweight. I hardly excercise or walk. I feel tired after reading something on my computer screen for one hour and I can not read for hours and hours at a long stretch.

Edited by asad100101 on 01 August 2007 at 9:03am

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6109 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 252 of 489
02 August 2007 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
siomotteikiru wrote:
Have you ever read books for hours, days or weeks on end with constant joy and wonder?

I think the answer to this question may be the most critical factor for whether the method works or not.

It presupposes that a person enjoys reading so much that he or she could literally sit for hours on end, like watching a movie or playing a video game.

I have a relative who literally gets lost in a book, so much so that even when people call her name, she would be so engrossed in the story that she wouldn't notice someone was calling her.

I've unfortunatley never had that experience (as I really don't like to read), however, it's clear to me that those who love to read will greatly benefit from this method. I suppose that reading, for such people, would put them into an flow state so that listening to the story for several hours would happen quite effortlessly.

In other words, it's not looked upon as a chore, but a delight, which would likely explain why siomotteikiru suggests that you must love what you're doing.

In short, affective issues appear to be a huge factor of whether this method is effective or not.

FSI
United States
Joined 6109 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 253 of 489
02 August 2007 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
With regards to the discussion on the necessity of spending hours and hours on the method each day...

FSI wrote:
sergiu wrote:
siomotteikiru wrote:
But all of the above must be done in one go, stopping only for eating and sleeping.

Isn't this extreme?Or maybe it was just a joke.
People should abandon work and any other activity for this "l-r-ing"?
I thought that the best way to learn a language is to do a little of it each day .

This is another point at which I have diverged from the method described on page 1. I simply can't spend 8 to 10 hours per day in constant meditation with this, or with any other method. For me, it would take the fun out of this. And I want this to be fun. If not, I would stick with FSI.

For me, 3 hours a day was too much - I tried it with Verne, and it left me almost too burnt out to do my 1.5h with Dickens later in the day. I wrote a much longer post about this just above this post, so I won't go on in this one, except to say that, for this method to work for me, one of the first things I decided to do away with was the several-hour-a-day committment, in favor of styles more conducive to the way I learn.

This was on the 16th. Since then (pgs. 13/14 in this thread), I've kept it to 30-40 minutes per language, and haven't had trouble keeping up with it.

I would recommend lessening the hours to a point you feel you can easily sustain per day. If I were to try 6 or 8-hour shifts with the method, as stated above, it would quickly loose its appeal for me. I enjoy reading, but I would not enjoy reading this way. I would have to modify the method to suit my needs, or leave it altogether.

30 minutes a day, however, is something I can do. And each day, I can see the progress I make in both listening to the L2 and reading the L2. It isn't stressful, or intimidating. I break the 30 minutes down further into 5 or 10 minute chunks, and complete them throughout the day.

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6104 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 254 of 489
02 August 2007 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
I’m intrigued by this method of use foreign audio books with written native translation to learn. Has anybody thought of using film scripts for this method? Lots of dialog, there’s still some descriptive narrative in it, and you possibly get to play the part of your favourite movie star, which maybe less boring for some, and something you could keep doing hours on end. You could probably use a DVD I think this has been suggested, but I think a parallel text would be easier to work with, and audio you can store on your mp3.

Edited by Wings on 02 August 2007 at 3:54am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6955 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 255 of 489
03 August 2007 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
siomotteikiru wrote:
I've been enraged time and again - I wanted to make parallel Spanish-English-Russian-Italian texts of Lolita by Nabokov and 1984 by Orwell, Italian-English-Polish-Russian of The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, and I couldn't. The books were censored in one language at least.

I see what you mean. In my short investigation of side by side text comparison, I've found a good bit of missing text. How do you handle that? If you know the target language well enough, do you provide your own translation for the missing text?

What about word order? English has a fair bit of flexibility in word order. I can see how I could re-order the English translation at times to make it more literal. For instance:

Jules Verne wrote:
Enfin, à dix heures du matin, nous prenions pied à Copenhague;

Translation wrote:
At ten in the morning, at last, we set our feet in Copenhagen;

Alternate Translation wrote:
Finally, at ten in the morning, we set foot in Copenhagen;

That's a very simple example. Do you make such modifications to the translation when you are confident in them?

Edited by luke on 03 August 2007 at 1:53am

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6853 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 256 of 489
03 August 2007 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
That's a very simple example. Do you make such modifications to the translation when you are confident in them?

The problem I have with that is that once you are at the level where you are confident in making such modifications and retaining the sense, you are beyond the point of needing a translation in the first place and should just be reading in L2.

The single possible benefit in making such modifications would be to aid others by providing a translation more suited to this method - altruism being no bad thing in itself obviously.

Andy

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 489 messages over 62 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version