SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 43
26 June 2007 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
I haven't seen this report before:Native Esperanto as a Test Case for Natural Language (PDF)
1 person has voted this message useful

awake
United States
Joined 6395 days ago

406 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 2 of 43
26 June 2007 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
That's very interesting, thanks for the link! :)

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6527 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 43
28 June 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Now people might not get so annoyed at me when I say spoken Esperanto is a creolized language. :)

allesgeht08
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6503 days ago

42 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 43
28 June 2007 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
very interesting; but I thought the fundamental definition of a natural language that it arose gradually and was not consciously created?

on a different note, what do y'all think of the idea, proposed on p. 53, of an all-Esperanto society? (i.e. a town or something--not the whole world.) Would it be possible, or even desirable?

Mga
Groupie
United States
beastie.redirectme.n
Joined 6882 days ago

67 posts - 66 votes 
Studies: German, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 43
01 July 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I would feel sorry for the inhabitants of such a society.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 43
02 July 2007 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't. There are other small language communities who are more isolated and more exposed, - for instance the town Maalula in Syria where Aramaic is still spoken right in the middle of an Arab-speaking region with a very different religious background. Or what about all the villages in New Guinea who each have their own language, which means that any communication with the outside world has to be through the local pidgin?

In the hypothetical case that somebody created an Esperantoville somewhere the first generation would probably be L2, L3... -speakers. But as mentioned in the article about native Esperanto the country of Israel was created by people who had other native languages, and who had to learn something that was essentially an artificial variant of an antique language (Ivrit). So the exercise has been done before on a fairly large scale. However most language shifts of this kind have a violent background, and I see no upheavals in the current world that would force anybody to switch to Esperanto. Other languages maybe, but not Esperanto.   

Esperanto is essentially an artificially created creole language, i.e. a language that is based on elements from several (related) languages and which from the beginning ahs no native speakers. But when such a lingua franca has been in use for some time it can take on a life of its own, it can acquire a literature, native speakers and so forth. When this has happened, and to a large extent it has happened to Esperanto (contrary to other artificial languages), then it doesn't really matter how it originated.

And then - if Esperanto really did become a native language for a lot of people then one thing would certainly happen: it would become as difficult as other languages. People would start breaking the rules (even the 16 sacred commandments!), they would make exceptions, regional variations, new words, new rules, exceptions from the new rules and so forth. Other people would start describing these developments using the whole arsenal of linguistic tools, condemning some developments, recommanding others, and soon Esperanto would have all the complications that it was supposed to eliminate.

Edited by Iversen on 07 September 2011 at 1:15am

15 persons have voted this message useful

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6383 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 7 of 43
09 July 2007 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
How would Esperanto compare with Klingon in say number of native speakers, total number of speakers, literature, culture, etc? Wonder how many bilingual Esperanto/Klingon speakers there are? By the way, very interesting post iversen!

Edited by Cage on 09 July 2007 at 12:26am

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6450 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 43
09 July 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
How would Esperanto compare with Klingon in say number of native speakers, total number of speakers, literature, culture, etc? Wonder how many bilingual Esperanto/Klingon speakers there are? By the way, very interesting post iversen!

I think Esperanto is richer in all those catergories.Isn't Klingon a language that very few people know?

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version