remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6065 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 17 of 43
25 April 2010 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
allesgeht08 wrote:
very interesting; but I thought the fundamental definition of a natural language that it arose gradually and was not consciously created?

You probably meant: ... created by one individual.

About the vocabulary, see http://remush.be/tezauro/PIV.xml
In green: the words chosen by Zamenhof
In red : the official words later added by the Academy of Esperanto.
In black: the words added by individuals, and generally accepted by the community.
Between [brackets] a few examples of words commonly built by users of the languages.

Same type of remark applies to the grammar:
compare

Fundamento and PMEG

The largest part of Esperanto was built by the community of speakers and developed gradually but consciously by literate people, while "natural" languages developed by illiterates.

Edited by remush on 04 May 2010 at 6:03pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5701 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 18 of 43
20 May 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
LilleOSC, yes perhaps..but don't Esperonto speakers get offended when the
legitimacy of Esperanto is questioned because it has so few speakers compared to big
natural ones such as Mandarin, English, Spanish which evolved naturally? Your comments
could be deemed offensive to Klingon speakers. Their language may have far fewer
speakers than Esperanto but it is still a constructed language like Esperanto, if on a
smaller scale.

Funny, considering that there are hundreds of natural languages with less speakers than
Esperanto...
4 persons have voted this message useful

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6236 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 19 of 43
20 May 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I find it funny that there are people who want Esperanto to become a native language for people, or to unite Esperantists under a flag and so on. That seems to contradict Zamenhof's desires to me. He never intended Esperanto to be a native language or a language of communication expect between two people who do not share a native language.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 20 of 43
20 May 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Declan1991 wrote:
I find it funny that there are people who want Esperanto to become a native language for people, or to unite Esperantists under a flag and so on. That seems to contradict Zamenhof's desires to me. He never intended Esperanto to be a native language or a language of communication expect between two people who do not share a native language.

There's no reason why two people who share a native language can't use it. I use it with other native English speakers, both one-on-one and in groups (with or without non-native English speakers in them), when we feel like it.

Likewise, I can't really see anything wrong with the idea of natively bilingual Esperanto speakers. I know a few.

Lastly - Zamenhof has been dead for nearly a century. He deserves a lot of credit for creating Esperanto, but his opinions are not some kind of overarching and binding law.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 43
13 July 2011 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
An article about native speakers of Esperanto which I accidentally found while searching for expressions for "native speaker" in other languages:

Nativization processes in L1 Esperanto
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 23 of 43
23 July 2011 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
An article about native speakers of Esperanto which I accidentally found while searching for expressions for "native speaker" in other languages:

Nativization processes in L1 Esperanto

It's fascinating, especially as much of it directly contradicts what I've observed with (adult) native Esperanto speakers. In no particular order, here are some notes.

One factor in common: phonology does tend to at least partially mirror that of the parent(s) who spoke Esperanto to the infant, as far as I can tell, when native speakers have what I'll call "strongly non-neutral" accents in Esperanto. In most cases, I don't know the parents, but I do know other non-native Esperanto speakers who share a native language with the parents. Notably, this does apply to phonological reductions. I expect it also applies to stress, though I fear I haven't paid enough attention to feel comfortable saying so.

Native use of the accusative, compound tenses, and aspect seem alive and kicking, and I've had quite a few corrections to my use from natives - and not only from first-generation natives, contrary to the predictions of the author.

Most children I've met at Esperanto conferences haven't been native Esperanto speakers, despite having at least one parent who speaks the language, and most of them have not spoken it fluently. I do find myself curious about to what extent the children in the study you mention are native Esperanto speakers, as opposed to children of Esperanto speakers who sometimes speak to them in the language. I've phrased this poorly; perhaps it's more useful to point to children of native speakers of foreign and/or minority languages (children of immigrants who mainly/exclusively speak to them in the language of where they live, of people who speak various Celtic languages in areas where much of the community does not and speak mainly English to their children, etc), who have some ability to understand the language, but aren't anywhere near fully comfortable in speaking it. (On re-reading the article, I see that this concern is partially unfounded - page 5 says "all children were raised in households in which one parent addressed them primarily in Esperanto" - although there are still quite a lot of questions which this leaves open).

I've definitely met more young children who speak a smattering of Esperanto, than people of any age who I'd call native Esperanto speakers.

The estimate of 350 native Esperanto speakers is significantly lower than what I've heard from other sources. The (Esperanto) wikipedia article on native Esperanto speakers claims "LaĆ­ la hungara censo de 2001 tie estis 168 Esperanto-denaskulo" - "according to the 2001 Hungarian census, there are 168 native Esperanto speakers there (in Hungary)". I've usually heard numbers around 1000-2000 worldwide.

Also, the proficiency of people who choose to teach their children Esperanto from birth is reputed to vary quite significantly. The study only involved one parent, and acknowledges that as a limitation. I haven't met enough parents of native speakers to comment concretely on this, though.

The fine-grained tense distinctions definitely seem to be more common in writing. They are used in speech, but they're fairly strongly marked when using a simpler form does not lose crucial information. It's not surprising that short interviews might invoke rather few instances.

--------
Less directly relatedly:

It might be interesting, though rather limited by sample size, to examine the speech of second-generation and third-generation native adult Esperanto speakers; they exist.

Also, while it's not directly related to native use of Esperanto, I disagree with the author's support of the notion that the accusative in Esperanto is "superficial and retained more for psycho-social reasons than for linguistic ones". I think the extent to which this is true varies a lot from one setting and group of speakers to another. I've seen plenty of literature which would be crippled without the accusative, and plenty of conversational speakers who wouldn't lose a thing by ditching it. This isn't a speech/writing distinction, either - in my personal observation, there seem to be plenty of speakers who make functional use of the accusative on the fly, varying word order for emphasis.

I'm aware of some native Esperanto speakers who were spoken to in (only) Esperanto by both parents. The wider community around them spoke another language. I'm really not sure whether or not to call them natively bilingual, though all the ones I'm aware of and have information about have native proficiency in two languages as adults. Wikipedia claims the first native speaker in this category was 2 years old in 1935; there are also some contemporary ones.

None of this is based on rigorous research - it's personal observations, and anecdotal. Take it with salt - but here it is nonetheless.

5 persons have voted this message useful

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4729 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 24 of 43
20 October 2011 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
How can it become a native language is beyond me. without people murmuring around when you are an infant, without atmosphere,without a cultural background of its own?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version