Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 113 of 245
29 February 2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
Vlad wrote:

Everything working now. Thank you!

I've been looking for the transcripts for the 'Old man and the sea' but couldn't find any literal ones so far.

Glad it's working!   When you say literal transcript, do you mean of English? Or the matching Chinese transcript? Because Old Man and the Sea was originally written in English, I doubt you will find much other than the original version.   If you are looking for the text, it seems that this one (at least for the first several sentences) matches the recording (on the first mp3, the actual text starts about 4 minutes in).   

Google search, click first link!

Sorry, for the link.   It's not working because they don't allow those kinds of links.

oops, I guess Old Man and the Sea isn't in the public domain. (Unless you are in China! Huzzah!)

Edited by kealist on 29 February 2008 at 9:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 114 of 245
01 March 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
I suppose this are the transcripts for Anna Karenina:
http://www.kuwang.com/literature/foreign/anna/index.html

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 115 of 245
01 March 2008 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I suppose this are the transcripts for Anna Karenina:
http://www.kuwang.com/literature/foreign/anna/index.html

Yep!   If anyone else wants to help make a bilingual text for me. I have the first part done (~180 pages).   Maybe I haven't formatted as well as it could be, but I am still learning what the best way to do this is.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 116 of 245
01 March 2008 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Do you have the languages in two columns/side-by-side or "interlinear"? From what I have read, both options have their merits. Iversen once presented a method to produce texts in an interlinears fashion (I use it all the time for short texts, and it works great).

(By the way, which is the other language? English? Russian?)

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 01 March 2008 at 2:30pm

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 117 of 245
01 March 2008 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Do you have the languages in two columns/side-by-side or "interlinear"? From what I have read, both options have their merits. Iversen once presented a method to produce texts in an interlinears fashion (I use it all the time for short texts, and it works great).

(By the way, which is the other language? English? Russian?)

English/ Mandarin = Left / Right double two columns.   Where is the interlinear method?    It would be easier to follow if they were interlinear, but sounds like a huge pain to set up for a book like Anna.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 118 of 245
01 March 2008 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
From Iversen's second post (2007 12 July at 4:49pm) http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=6366&PN=0&TPN=9)

Iversen wrote:
Open the two versions in your favorite word processor, in two separate windows one above the other. The first trick is to make sure that one sentence in one language corresponds to exactly one sentence in the other. If the sentences are too long then cut them into pieces, but try to keep the corresponding contents in the same 'pair'. Otherwise brutally move the content in the translation (maybe add a comment) - the important thing is to couple some content in the original with the same content in the translation, and if you have to murder the translation to do that, then please do so.

Then do some search-and-replace to put each sentence on its own line. A point plus an space will of course indicate a new line, but there are also points after abbreviations and numbers, and there is no simple way to solve that problem. You have to manually recombine the sentences that have been cut into too many pieces.

Now move the two versions to column C and F in a spreadsheet, put numbers 1,2... in column A and D, fill out columns B and E with "a" resp. "b". After that move the content of columns D-F down below the content of column A-C, and sort the whole thing on a key consisting of column A+B. And move the whole lot back into your favorite word processor. That's all there is to it.

In other words:

Step 1 Make sure you have one sentence per line (and that they "match" translation-wise), edit if necessary.

Step 2 Open Excel (or similar) and copy/paste all your content into the appropriate columns (C and F), numbers from 1 and up in column A and D, and "a" and "b" in columns B and E, until it looks like this:

1 a Eng. sentence 1      1 b Chi. sentence 1
2 a Eng. sentence 2      2 b Chi. sentence 2
3 a Eng. sentence 3      3 b Chi. sentence 3

Step 3 Move (cut/paste, drag/drop) columns D-F down below the content of column A-C:

1 a Eng. sentence 1
2 a Eng. sentence 2
3 a Eng. sentence 3
1 b Chi. sentence 1
2 b Chi. sentence 2
3 b Chi. sentence 3

Step 4 Mark all, and sort everything by column A+B (Tools/Data/Sort by... Column A+Column B) - it should look like this:

1 a Eng. sentence 1
1 b Chi. sentence 1
2 a Eng. sentence 2
2 b Chi. sentence 2
3 a Eng. sentence 3
3 b Chi. sentence 3

I tried that the other day and couldn't imagine how easy it was. However, the text I used was already separated with one sentence per line, so the process was even easier than if I would have to split everything manually.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 01 March 2008 at 6:22pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6207 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 119 of 245
04 March 2008 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Does anyone know how to download a RAM file? I don't know how to download all those great Italian audiobooks from RAI!

Edited by MarcoDiAngelo on 04 March 2008 at 3:46am

ziedariana
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5957 days ago

19 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English, Arabic (Written)*, French, Italian
Studies: Spanish

Message 120 of 245
04 March 2008 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
Does anyone know how to download a RAM file? I don't know how to download all those great Italian audiobooks from RAI!

I'm assuming you are talking about the "Fantastica Mente audiolibri". I've just checked the site and I don't see anything different when it comes to downloading the files. When using FireFox, right click on scaricare and save link as. It should be a similar process when using IE. Right click on scaricareand save as.

Please accept my apologies if you already know the above. I may have misconstrued your post.

Edited by ziedariana on 04 March 2008 at 7:17am

This discussion contains 245 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version