Diglot
United States
Joined 6985 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 217 of 245
05 March 2012 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
This is a good site. A typo and wrong link in the primary post on the first page. The site http://www.leerescuchando.net/ has a lot of good free audiobooks in Spanish.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gatsby42
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4421 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 218 of 245
29 March 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
If anyone has done Spanish L-R for Alice in Wonderland, where did you get the Spanish
text? The one I bought doesn't match up with the audiobook I bought, which makes me kinda
pissed off.

L-R prospects seem pretty grim for Spanish speakers as is. The original thread recommended an audiobook around ten hours in length. So far, all the combined Spanish
texts may add up to that together.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6219 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 219 of 245
29 March 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Gatsby42 wrote:
If anyone has done Spanish L-R for Alice in Wonderland, where did you get the Spanish
text? The one I bought doesn't match up with the audiobook I bought, which makes me kinda
pissed off.

L-R prospects seem pretty grim for Spanish speakers as is. The original thread recommended an audiobook around ten hours in length. So far, all the combined Spanish
texts may add up to that together.

If you're willing to use Don Quixote, it's a good deal more than 10 hours.

Otherwise, if you want commercial audiobooks, you could use Harry Potter, or quite a lot of other pulp fiction novels - though you won't be able to buy parallel texts of those, just separate books. Some people have done this for various languages.

Gatsby42
Groupie
Joined 4421 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 

Message 220 of 245
30 March 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
I hear Don Quixote is quite advanced as far as reading goes; which could be a problem in
that I'm not remotely familiar with the story.

I already have the Harry Potter books on audiobook along with the e-book translations; I
just heard that the translations had some mistakes on them and was seeing if there was
something else I could use. It's looking like they'll be the best I got for a while.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6985 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 221 of 245
30 March 2012 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
http://albalearning.com/ has a lot of audiobooks. Many of them are short, but a few are long, such as Oscar Wilde, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, etc. They all have the Spanish text. She has put up some bilingual texts with the audio. Even the ones that don't have English translations can be used for L-R by doing an on the fly translation using http://translate.google.com/.
4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6985 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 222 of 245
30 March 2012 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Another great audiobook resource for Spanish is http://librivox.org/cuentos-de-hadas-by-jacob-wilhelm-grimm/ which has matching text and stories at http://www.cuentosdegrimm.com/. This is another site with which I've used http://translate.google.com/ to create bilingual texts for Listen-Reading. Another thing I like about this particular set of recordings is that there is a variety of speakers and all of them are good. It seems to have been a labor of love for the speakers who wanted to create stories that would be pleasant for children to listen to. By putting emotion into their readings, las cuentas son buenas para todos.

Edited by luke on 30 March 2012 at 3:44am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Gatsby42
Groupie
Joined 4421 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 

Message 223 of 245
30 March 2012 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
In another mishap, I got to learn that Los Miserables the audio reading doesn't match up
with Los Miserables the e-book. More proof that I should never pay a single dollar for
this kind of thing again.

Meanwhile, I have another question. What makes you think that Google Translate can be
even remotely trusted in transcribing entire books? In my history with it, it's almost
never reliable with anything outside of single word translations; I feel like having it
transcribe an entire book would lead to disaster.

Either way, thanks for the links; I'm sure if I do enough digging I'll find something
that works.

carlonove
United States
Joined 5766 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 224 of 245
30 March 2012 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Check out the Spoken Wikipedia project for recordings of Wikipedia articles in various
languages:

Spoken Wikipedia

Here is the project page for Spanish:

Wiki grabada

A lot of the recordings were done a few years ago, so you may have to look up archived
versions of the articles to find the ones that match the recordings verbatim. Unless
you're totally new to a language it should be fairly easy to get through most articles
with programs like Franker, Globefish, GT, etc.

Edited by carlonove on 30 March 2012 at 10:39pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 245 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version