reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6245 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 12
13 July 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Nobody will shoot you in Bosnia or anywhere else and do not feel obligated to justify which version you chose to study. All the learners of BSCScr whatchumcallit I have talked to seem to bring this up. It's ok, relax. If you manage to pull off decent Bosnian accent they're gonna love you in Croatia and Bosnians will be pleased as well.

Edited by reineke on 13 July 2007 at 4:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

frenkie
United Kingdom
Joined 6145 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Croatian

Message 10 of 12
15 July 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Cheers Renineke, bit of relief i guess, though I heard the tensions in the balkans are building by the day.

Anyway I've ordered BSC grammar, textbook and Colliquial croatian, hopefully I'll be able to get at least to an intermediate level with these :)

winters
Trilingual Heptaglot
Italy
Joined 6842 days ago

199 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, Serbian*, Russian*, English, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Greek, French, Hungarian

Message 11 of 12
17 July 2007 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
Whichever version you choose to speak you will be fine.

I had the (mis)fortune of coming from ethnically mixed family, so I was brought up both with Serbian and Croatian as my native languages (and having been formally taught them both, I also learnt to differ them to nuances and I grew to feel them each differently in accordance with the culture and what it all meant to me on the personal level, which in a way made me feel inclined to consider them different languages, regardless of their mutual intelligibility - but let us not step into that discussion again ;)), and I have never had any problems regarding the variant spoken.
Nowadays I am much more a cameleon, but when I was younger (sounds ironic when somebody who is only 17 says so :D) and had identity crisis, I would at times intentionally use the 'wrong' variant and accent, and except for a couple of raised eyebrows, and a few words of reprimand later in private by my parents, nothing ever happened, even in more sensitive surroundings where it might have been viewed as provocation (though I thankfully had enough common sense in those areas).

Being that you are a foreigner, nobody will even expect you to know the language perfectly, people will be excited about the sole idea you took some time to learn the basics of the language (and they are the same in all 'variants') and nobody will pay any attention to any 'wrong' vocabulary.
It is only when people feel you are provoking when the entire situation will get an offended tone and tense in the air, and any reasonable individual will realise that your intentions are not to provoke anyone nor anything, that you are simply a foreigner who learns a language, and they will appreciate your efforts.

No matter how much more 'western' nations might view us, ex-Yu is not a risky place where you will get shot in a tavern over the wrong accent, or where everyone will automatically believe your intentions must be suspicious if you are a foreigner who studies the language ;) Relax, and enjoy. And message me should you need any help regarding any 'variant' you choose to study.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6954 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 12 of 12
17 July 2007 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
I'd be curious to see how far you get with the BCS course. I never used it from start to finish, but instead used it to brush up on a few things, and have it as a reference for my other Croatian courses.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version