Joined 6689 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 33
13 July 2007 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Zorndyke wrote:
While they're in Africa, geographically speaking, culturally they're rather not that African.

Africa is a geographical concept to begin with so it makes little sense to apply any other criteria to it.

As a matter of fact the countries you would like to exclude here are especially relevant to the original question due to their traditional connections with France.

On what continent would you place them "culturally" then, if you think they are out of place in their physical location ?

Edited by Hencke on 13 July 2007 at 8:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6345 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 10 of 33
13 July 2007 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
orion wrote:
If someone wanted to travel widely in Africa, would French be more useful than Swahili?

Yes. Swahili is useful in several countries, but English, French and Arabic are much more widely spoken overall.

orion wrote:
I also wondered if Swahili carried any negative stigma left over from slavery, and might offend some native Africans.

No. The Africans living in Africa generally aren't descendants of slaves, and don't hold a grudge.

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6753 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 11 of 33
14 July 2007 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Karakorum wrote:

Hmmm, what does "truly African" mean?

Hencke wrote:

Africa is a geographical concept to begin with so it makes little sense to apply any other criteria to it.

These countries are rather Muslim-Arabic than African. I wouldn't advise orion to learn the languages spoken in these countries for the same reason I wouldn't advise someone to learn Russian because he wants to travel widely through Asia...
If one intends to visit Africa I suppose one wants to see something that's not just part of the continent of Africa, but also of its culture.

Edited by Zorndyke on 14 July 2007 at 3:46am

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6460 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 12 of 33
14 July 2007 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
HTale wrote:
I find it saddening to see so many countries washed with French; Africa has lost its identity in many respects as a result. Before I'm branded a xenophobe, or 'francophobe' (haha, if such term exists), I find French a beautiful language, however, so many African languages are dying out because of its domination there.

I don't know if French is really a danger for African languages. On the contrary: it's probably safer to use a 'neutral' (at least nowadays) language like French for official or educational purposes. Otherwise, one of the local languages might impose itself as lingua franca and be promoted much more aggressively than French. Sub-Saharan Africa is extremely diverse linguistically and that might just be because most of the states were created by some exterior force (the colonial powers), while in Europe the creation of nations is the result of a brutal competition between different ethnic/linguistic groups which lead to the extermination of the vast majority of indigenous languages.

Zorndyke wrote:
If one intends to visit Africa I suppose one wants to see something that's not just part of the continent of Africa, but also of its culture.

There are no clear-cut cultural borders between 'Arabian Africa' and 'African Africa'. Niger is more similar to Algeria than to Madagascar, for example. And I don't see how one could seriously speak of one African culture, it's too diverse. What do Nigeria, Ethiopia, and Namibia have in common after all (except the similar skin color of their inhabitants)?
It's not like Europe, where everyone's culturally very close because of the same cultural heritage (Roman and Greek).

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6753 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 

Message 13 of 33
14 July 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
Quote:

And I don't see how one could seriously speak of one African culture, it's too diverse. What do Nigeria, Ethiopia, and Namibia have in common after all (except the similar skin color of their inhabitants)?

There is an English phrase - I don't fully remember it any more, but it had something to do with "killing the spirit". It is used when someone examines something (e.g. a text) too literally and draws conclusions where there are none.
Yes, of course there is not just one single African culture, but in contrast to the North African countries these cultures are African although they were surely often influenced by colonialism.
And I consider the areas with intersections between these Arabic and non-Arabic parts of Africa being rather small. Okay, these countries where both ones are prevalent are most Sahel countries and maybe Nigeria as well as Somalia. Did I forget Djibouti? Oh, I'm terribly sorry -.-

Edited by Zorndyke on 14 July 2007 at 8:32am

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6460 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 14 of 33
14 July 2007 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
Zorndyke wrote:
but in contrast to the North African countries these cultures are African

That's paradoxical. I really don't understand what you mean by African.

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6753 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 

Message 15 of 33
14 July 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
No, it's not.

The North African culture is basically Muslim-Arabic and therefore not from Africa, but from the Arabian Peninsula. Therefore, there is - except for the culture of some Berber minorities maybe - no African culture in North Africa. So, geographically speaking North Africa is African, but not so culturally!
In the rest of Africa there are native, autochthon cultures which originated there.
And there are some places were both - the Muslim-Arabic and the conglomerate African cultures - are prevalent.

I don't understand what's so difficult about this.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6208 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 16 of 33
14 July 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
I think what zorndyke means is that arabic, islam, french, english,etc.. are not indigenous to the african continent. They were brought by conquest.This is particularly the case in north africa. The indigenous religions/cultures were wiped out there. Today, north africa is effectively an extension of the middle east. A man from mali would have a lot more in common with a guy from syria than someone from lesotho. I don't think this is as much the case in the french or english african colonies. Almost everyone still speaks a local language, but uses french or english as the lingua franca. In my oppinion, this is necessary. Some african countries have hundreds of indigenous language. How else are they suppose to communicate with each other?

you posted before me lol...

Edited by lloydkirk on 14 July 2007 at 9:46am

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version