Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Have you achieved fluency since joining?

Tags: Fluency
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
39 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 39
16 July 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
The main difference is that with passive fluency you can start reading large amounts of genuine texts (books and internet pages), and you can also listen to television programmes and things like that without missing large parts of the meaning. In fact this is learning by the 'natural method', but contrary to fashion I have normally avoided to do these things until I had already learnt a lot of grammar and words through black-school methods like wordlists, intensive reading and grammar studies (I prefer to call them 'formal' methods).

I have however concluded from the listening-learning thread that the use of large amounts of genuine material may start earlier than I have previously thought provided that there is an ample supply of parallel texts plus audio to work on. No method should be considered sacrosanct, it is always permitted to become wiser.

Intensive reading will in the beginning be very labour intensive because everything - pronunciation, words, idioms and grammar - is unknown and has to be studied. I have at this stage in Greek and Russian found it practical to do ultra-literal translations, with lots of commentaries to points of grammar and lots of words (later to be used in word lists). With languages that you half-way know or that are close to a well-known language you will not need to do such ultra-literal translations, except maybe if you really find something totally unexpected. But it is still necessary to note down moot points of grammar, false friends and idiomatic expressions. Otherwise you will inevitably try to guess how to speak the new language, and guesses are too often wrong.

I don't see any risk that ultra-literal translation should harm anybodys language, not even if you are learning a L3 through L2. The reason is that you know that this isn't the proper way of using L2. In fact the usual kind of 'literary' translations are more risky, because you may think that you are writing something perfectly normal in L2, while you have in fact adopted some irrelevant stuff from L3. That won't happen with ultraliteral translations.

Edited by Iversen on 03 May 2009 at 5:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Andy_Liu
Triglot
Hong Kong
leibby.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6584 days ago

255 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 26 of 39
22 July 2007 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
johntothea wrote:
I'm not 'fluent' yet. But without this forum, I would be no where near where I am today. Before I was one of those people that thought it was impossible to learn a foreign language, but now, I can successfully communicate in a foreign language, albeit with some mistakes, but a lot better than I thought was possible.

I didn't learn anything concrete after the first 4 to 5 months I joined this forum, because I shared the same thoughts as you and got put off by the fact that hardly any books (i.e. Chinese sources for German) can help - and as someone living far from the majority of members here with a "remote" culture, I didn't really believe that self-learning was possible.

In the last months last year, I did start learning through a class course. Since I only learnt through "small talks, plays and inane babble, using very broken L2" (as Iversen pointed out), I found it very hard to mumble something, when I was asked to describe everything in a picture that kindergarten kids can draw perfectly in their Art lessons.

I was frustrated and stopped learning any German for literally 3 months. I re-learnt this language for 4 months. Since speaking is not my focus, I only did speaking drills (and alone) sporadically. I read substantially about lang. learning in this forum and some books some members recommended. I designed and often switched between different learning strategies, trying to attack the language in every possible direction. With a rather bookworm approach, I finally proved my methods worked. Recently, my cousin who speaks German natively visited my family, and I was delighted to have heard that my German was "pretty good", though my vocabulary is still very limited and I make countless mistakes. I still consider myself as at best a high-intermediate beginner - well, formally, I learnt German since last autumn, but only for almost 5 months so far. The *first* real speaking practice is a milestone of my beginner's level. Now, I think I can do some small talks with ease and courage, and can soon start reading the first graded readers.

I didn't do anything substantial about others except English. For the most part, I un-learnt mistakes and increased my knowledge through reading, and especially anything related to learning methodology. Since I don't share native languages with my cousin, when I can't use German, I have to rely on English and very limited Mandarin. My levels are higher than hers at both. I spoke English most of the time, and happened to find that I paid more attention to make me understood, especially getting away accents with the th sounds, given that I hardly speak English.

My German adventure was very fruitful. Besides struggling to learn a language that is not used at my place quickly (at a beginner's level), I have been fortunate to reveal the truths about effective language learning. Many thanks to moderators and members who have contributed so much to this nice forum. :)

Recht
Diglot
United States
Joined 5599 days ago

241 posts - 270 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB1

Message 27 of 39
02 May 2009 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
A small bump on this thread :)

Since I've been here my German has grown by leaps and bounds. I'm currently listening
to "Schlaflos in München" and I can remember the day that I first listened to it. I
understood very little. Now if I pay attention I understand a large portion of what is
said. Progress in my book!

delectric
Diglot
China
Joined 6979 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 28 of 39
03 May 2009 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
When I joined I could barely understand any Chinese and only string a few sentences together. Now you could say i'm fluent if by that you mean able to enter a Chinese university with my level of Chinese. Also I can get just about anything done in Chinese. However, I'm still not reading a daily paper, watching the news in Chinese (happily) that will be another year or so.

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6291 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 29 of 39
04 May 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
I have learned to express thoughts in Spanish and got some basic oral fluency during last 1,5 years.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 30 of 39
04 May 2009 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
following some of the ideas from the listening-reading thread - I'll be listening for 15-30 minutes every day to the audio-with-transcript news at the homepage of the Icelandic Television. Having the language pounding into your ears even before you understand it all probably does have an effect on how early you are able to think in the language, and I may have underestimated the potential of this technique.

I also think this is a powerful technique. I have been trying for several years to convince Radio Netherlands World Service to provide parallel text/audio news in Dutch. They have excellent text and audio, but not parallel. Very recently, I tried again and got a "no" in response. My e-mail and the RNW reply is on the Dutch-learning "Laura Speaks Dutch" Facebook. RNW says language learning is not one of its responsibilities. I am pleased to see that Icelandic Television does see it as a responsibility: "According to the Broadcasting Act the main obligation of RUV is to promote the Icelandic language, Icelandic history and Iceland's cultural heritage." I don't know enough Icelandic to even find their parallel audio. Can you summarise what is available? News only, etc.? Maybe I can point this out to RNW.

eoinda
Tetraglot
Sweden
Joined 5746 days ago

101 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 31 of 39
04 May 2009 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I have listed myself as intermediate in Spanish but I am close to basic fluency I get the gist of movies and I can read
books with only a little help from a dictionary. I'm good at writing but I have a really hard time speaking Spanish.
Hopefully I will get over that and reach fluency soon.
This site have been great. I have found a lot of help here and above all encouragement.
My main method is reading (everything). Even though formal studying is important I think that reading is the way to
fluency (at least for me) that was how I learned English.    

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6216 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 32 of 39
04 May 2009 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Though my learning has been stop start and I am not near fluency yet, this site has provided a lot of useful information on resources and techniques that should lead me to fluency. I know I am capable, and I can locate the necessary sources. The only problem is there is so much information here that it can eat into my learning time, thats why I try not to come on here more than once or twice a week.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version