Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
siomotteikiru
Zaire
Joined 6173 days ago

102 posts - 242 votes 

Message 1 of 5
14 July 2007 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
http://www.komi.com/japanese/

It's in Russian, about a guy who knows 93 languages.

There's no direct link there, click
Статьи из интернетa

then look for

ЛЕГКО ЛИ ВЫУЧИТЬ СОТНЮ ЯЗЫКОВ

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6251 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 5
15 July 2007 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Here's a direct link: http://www.komi.com/JAPANESE/from_int/polyglot.html.

The claims made are impressive, but some of the concrete parts are a bit dubious. An example is that the article says that Hawaiian has 24 vowels and 3 consonants. while Wikipedia says that there are 25 vowels (or 5 if long vowels and dipthongs aren't counted as separate) and 8 consonants. The polyglot also claims to speak American English, Australian English, New Zealand English and Canadian English; it's not clear if he's counting these as separate languages, as no complete list of languages is given. Canadian English most certainly is not "Frenglish", although it appears that a particular variant spoken around Montreal bears this name; I grew up in Canada without being aware of this.

Nitpicks aside, it's quite an interesting article. (By the way, to those I've told I do not speak a word of Russian - it's true, and I can't even read Cyrillic. However, online translation tools plus a bit of familiarity with grammar in general go a long way. For anyone else in this category, a computer-generated translation can be found here; it's readable, but far from correct or idiomatic English.)

Edited by Volte on 15 July 2007 at 3:00am

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6198 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 3 of 5
15 July 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Some further 'facts' are to be found here:

http://anomalia.kulichki.ru/text8/074.htm

seems a bit too much 'New Age' to be taken seriously, though.

siomotteikiru
Zaire
Joined 6173 days ago

102 posts - 242 votes 

Message 4 of 5
15 July 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
All so called polygots I met always sounded suspicious to me, though quite a few were quite good at two or three languages.

But I like stories and the way they are growing into myths.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 5
18 July 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
another article about him

I think I saw a TV-program about him, and linguists said he wasn't speaking the languages he claimed to speak... although I'm not sure, maybe that particular program was about a famous woman who has a similar story, I can't remember the details but she once fainted and after it she forgot Russian, but instead could "remember" something like 50 languages, she thinks she spoke them in her previous lives.

[I wonder what's going to happen when I finally start learning Danish. When I was a child I could remember my previous life, and I lived in Denmark. That does sound odd, but my parents believe it's true, since I always told the story in the same way - not typical for children who're very imaginative and like adding something new and changing something...and I think that if I had really imagined that, I'd imagine I had been a beautiful princess in a wonderful castle, blablablabla..but according to what I told I lived in a children's home and died when I was still very young. I've read that most children who remember their past lives forget them when they're around 7 and it was the same in my case.]

Edited by Serpent on 18 July 2007 at 8:16pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version