leibby.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6588 days ago

255 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 17 of 28
30 November 2007 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Gilgamesh wrote:
I wouldn't know about the majority of Chinese people... I imagine there are quite some polyglots there, but how many Pekinese would actually know another language besides Mandarin? Might be interesting to hear about that.

I don't know, but I'm quite sure that being a polyglot is exceptional in Hong Kong. Many university students can't even speak Mandarin decently, so we are just as multilingual as many peoples are.

Actually, I've been told that learning popular languages is a norm in Beijing, where you can find the most language learning centres and language universities among all Chinese cities. It's, after all, the very capital of China where diplomacy is important.
1 person has voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6504 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 18 of 28
30 November 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
But then again, learning a language is quite different from being able to use it. I've met a number of people (myself included) who have studied other languages that are quite unable to use them.

As far as China goes, there is probably a large number of people around the periphery, especially the south and west that speak at least two languages -- a certain level of state decreed Mandarin and their own local language.

The same situation exists in Indonesia, many African nations and all the former Soviet states. I knew a guy from Central Asia who spoke Russian, English and two Turkish dialect, Chinese (we had met in Chinese class), and I'd assume Thai since he lived there for several years before coming to Taiwan. A guy from Senegal in one of my classes mentioned speaking French, English and a tribal language, and he was studying Chinese.

Heck, most people here in Taiwan also speak at least two languages. Mandarin is taught in schools, but there's Taiwanese, Hakka and the various tribal languages around.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7023 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 19 of 28
30 November 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:
But then again, learning a language is quite different from being able to use it. I've met a number of people (myself included) who have studied other languages that are quite unable to use them.

This reminds me of my English prof. and he is also a Linguist. He brought up examples on analyzing multiple languages for class, then I asked "How many languages do you speak?"
His response was "I studied many languages." I interpreted it, as only English.

Aritaurus
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6376 days ago

197 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English*, Japanese, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 28
04 December 2007 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
Raincrowlee wrote:

This reminds me of my English prof. and he is also a Linguist. He brought up examples on analyzing multiple languages for class, then I asked "How many languages do you speak?"
His response was "I studied many languages." I interpreted it, as only English.

I would say there's a fine line between learning a language and studying a language. You can say that I'm learning Mandarin and Japanese but I've only " studied " French. I'd say what makes learning different is the application and the non-academic effort you put towards the language which enables to to speak it.   

unmaad
Tetraglot
India
Joined 5978 days ago

38 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, GermanC2, Hindi
Studies: Japanese

Message 21 of 28
29 December 2007 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
In India triglots are quite common. I have friends who are pentaglots. Majority of the urban population is fluent in at least three languages and most of them can understand a few more.

magic9man2
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6431 days ago

149 posts - 153 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French, Cantonese, Russian, Korean, Taiwanese, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 22 of 28
29 December 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
I'm from USA in NY state and I dont know any polyglots. I know a few people who speak Spanish in addition to English and a few people who speak German, but no people who know several languages.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6670 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 23 of 28
30 December 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Where I'm from in the USA (Nebraska) knowing other languages beyond rudimentary knowledge (usually Spanish, German, or French, probably in that order) is quite rare. Since I began learning languages I have gotten to know people who take language studies seriously enough to actually be able to speak them to a good degree of fluency, but in general, this is an exception to the rule.

I also agree that there is a difference between studying a language and learning a language (to use it practically), but I use these terms interchangeably. I have tried to learn lots of languages, but for various reasons, time and resources for example, I haven't yet been able to learn them in depth, thus I can say I've studied around ten languages, but have only learned three.

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6036 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 24 of 28
13 January 2008 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
here in Brazil is quite hard to find polyglots....even in tourist cities is still a tough task....it's common to hear complaints from tourists who travel across this country although many people attend classes at language schools within it...

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version