11 messages over 2 pages: 1
nhk9
Canada
Joined 6585 days ago

290 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 11
25 July 2007 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
If you don't have a strong passive vocabularly, you will always not be able to comprehend what others say. Basically you will need just maybe 3000-5000 words in order to get your words across, but you will need at least a knowledge of 10000-20000 words in order to understand what most Japanese people say.

See if you know the Japn equivalent for:

Lock the door
Flush the toilet
Slipping on your slippers
Wearing your glasses
1 person has voted this message useful

rkunz
Diglot
United States
learnthatlanguagenow
Joined 6606 days ago

103 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 11
27 July 2007 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
metavirus wrote:
Thanks for the great advice, especially Furyou. That is really helpful. In general, I expect that I will need to get up to a level of proficiency that would allow me to carry on in the periphery of a business negotiation, sometimes without dropping back to English. The actual negotiation would likely be in English.

My two strengths back when I learned Japanese were my grammar, pronunciation and intonation and my weaknesses were Kanji and retaining vocabulary (the two more memory intensive aspects, of which my memory is very hit-or-miss). I can still read hiragana and katakana but not too many Kanji.

Let's take for the sake of argument that I spent a few evenings a week and one day on the weekend for the next month and a half studying with a private tutor at Berlitz and a few hours a week during the day with one of the recommended audio courses. Without knowing more, any idea how much my language skills could improve in that time?

Thanks again for the advice.

lol, I hate to say this, but you should seriously forget about it. If you haven't used your Japanese at all recently and only took "5 years way back in high school and college" (which is almost nothing) of Japanese 10 years ago, you probably know a lot less than you think.

Consider this. I've spent about 700+ hours class time (high school and college) studying Japanese (also, that doesn't include time I've spent by myself studying outside of class) and I would probably have a difficult time even being on the "periphery of a business negotiation" where Japanese people are speaking business Japanese at full speed.

If you spent a month and a half studying "a few evenings a week and one day on the weekend", you'll probably be able to say things like "Nice weather, isn't it?", "Have you eaten breakfast?", "I want to go to Ginza".

My advice is to follow what "furyou_gaijin" posted. He has some good advice there.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 11 of 11
01 October 2016 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
nhk9 wrote:

See if you know the Japn equivalent for:

Lock the door
Flush the toilet
Slipping on your slippers
Wearing your glasses

Lock the door = To wo kagisuru?
Flush the toilet = Toire wo ...?
Slipping on your slippers = Anata no ...?
Wearing your glasses = Anata no megane wo kisu?

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version