Peck
United States
Joined 6140 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 10
28 July 2007 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
I understand that currently Assimil doesn't offer "Russian with Ease", but I was wondering where I could obtain the previously Assimil Russian book that was designed for English speakers.

Now I found on an online torrent website something that was called "Russian without Effort" that has 70 mp3 lessons, and 1 mp3 pronunciation lesson. Now I'm not normally into getting bootlegged stuff off the internet (I bought New French with Ease and would be glad to buy the Russian equivalent), but I can't find anywhere that has the old Assimil Russian books/tapes. All I found were these Assimil Russian CD’s (approximately 4 of them).

Does anyone have a clue what book these CD’s will go along with? Is “Russian without Toil” the last English version of Assimil that was for learning Russian? I searched all over the net and can’t find a copy of “Russian without Toil”. The only possible option I can think of is to go through my New French with Ease and Using French books and then try to learn Russian with “Le Nouveau Russe sans Peine”.

Also... does Assimil use the same CD's for all their material? Let me clarify this... would “German with Ease” and “Le Nouvel Allemand sans Peine” have the exact same CD’s (since the CD’s are entirely in the native language_?

1 person has voted this message useful

Peck
United States
Joined 6140 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 2 of 10
28 July 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
After doing a little investigating I seem to think I’ve figuring some stuff out. On the Assimil website I found “Russisch ohne Mühe heute” and “Le Nouveau Russe sans Peine”, which are both in the “with ease” category and both have 4 CD’s... each of them carrying 70 lessons. So I believe these Audio lesions I have will match both of those books, I just can’t seem to find an English translation.

daristani
United States
Joined 6955 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 3 of 10
28 July 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
If you go to Bookfinder.com and search for "Russian Without Toil", you'll find a number of copies for sale; whether this is the book that goes with the audio you found on line I can't say. But if you're interested in an English copy of the book, you might e-mail one of the sellers and ask about the number of lessons in it.

In any event, good luck.

Peck
United States
Joined 6140 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 4 of 10
28 July 2007 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
If you go to Bookfinder.com and search for "Russian Without Toil", you'll find a number of copies for sale; whether this is the book that goes with the audio you found on line I can't say. But if you're interested in an English copy of the book, you might e-mail one of the sellers and ask about the number of lessons in it.

In any event, good luck.

I tried out that link, did a search, and came up with this… “Sorry, we found no matching results at this time.”

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7016 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 5 of 10
28 July 2007 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
According to Ardaschir, the old German based course was better than the new one.
Ardaschir wrote:
I went through Assimil's Russian course (the excellent old one still available as Russisch ohne Muehe, not the dreadful replacement nouveau russe sans peine - one of the most classic examples of the deteriorating quality of language methods across the board)

Edited by luke on 28 July 2007 at 7:18pm

daristani
United States
Joined 6955 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 6 of 10
28 July 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
I just searched again for Russian Without Toil on bookfinder (only the title, without any author or mention of Assimil, etc.) and got a number of hits. None were cheap, though: the cheapest was 45 dollars.

Peck
United States
Joined 6140 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 7 of 10
28 July 2007 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
I just searched again for Russian Without Toil on bookfinder (only the title, without any author or mention of Assimil, etc.) and got a number of hits. None were cheap, though: the cheapest was 45 dollars.

Oh.... I clicked the Assimil Staff one, no wonder!

Does anyone know why Assimil hasn't produced a Russian with Ease in English?

wetnose
Groupie
United States
Joined 6789 days ago

90 posts - 98 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 10
29 July 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
I asked about this once and they replied that Assimil had no plans to produce a Russian course with English base. Probably there just isn't enough market demand.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version