Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What makes some people good at languages?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
91 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 11 12 Next >>
Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6165 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 91
16 August 2007 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
I read the article on “Mirror Neurons” I can see how - if these “Mirror Neurons” exist – can help children develop language skills by observing and listening using the “audio visual neuron” mentioned. But, I’m sceptical about these “Mirror Neurons” and language-learning for an adult. And to be honest the article was a hard read, I’ll have to read it again.

Edited by Wings on 16 August 2007 at 6:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6165 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 

Message 42 of 91
02 September 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
This topic has come to rest. However, any interesting articles I find I will post on my introduction of this topic, many links maybe contributed from members’ posts on other topics, I hope this doesn’t bother anyone.
To conclude:
If you have an interest, and work regularly you will succeed. What makes one better than another? Answer - Who cares. As long as you love what you are doing. But if you are interested in the science behind language learning check out the links at my Introduction.
P.s. It doesn’t mean that I agree with the articles because I posted the links to them.

Edited by Wings on 02 September 2007 at 12:24pm

gipsie
United States
Joined 6618 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 43 of 91
02 September 2007 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
maxb wrote:
I think the most important factors are actually interest and motivation. It is my firm belief that anyone can actually learn any language with a native-like accent and to a high level if they make up their mind to do so. For instance when learning mandarin I intially thought that I would never be able to speak anything close to a native speaker in terms of correctness and fluency when speaking freely. When I started I could do isolated tones and tone combinations fairly quickly but as soon as I said anything in conversation my tones were all over the place. So I decided to work intesively on my accent and after some looking around on the internet found the "chorus method".
Also found Zhuangzis "the linguist" blog and his theories on "repeated listening" and on using real content instead of text books. From these two sources I constructed my own method for learning mandarin and have gotten quite good results with it. Of course I must admit that having a chinese wife helps a lot as well :-)
I agree with Zhuangzi that grammar is not very important in language learning. My two strongest foreign languages are mandarin and english. Both of these I have learnt without any focus on grammar. Although I am a proponent of focusing on pronunciation from the beginning this should only involve chorusing of example sentences. I think free conversation should be delayed until you have had alot of input. In my mind most of the "fossilized" mistakes that language learners make are due to forcing yourself to communicate when you don't have a very good grasp of the language. In this situation you will often don't know how to say something and will thus find your own (probably incorrect) way of saying it.

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6098 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 44 of 91
02 October 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 

Unfortunately,

There is some truth to it being an ability. In this case, students whom are verbally/logically gifted would have an advantage over those that are not.

Of course, if you are not one of these you can still train yourself to become proficient, but the truth is everyone does have their own ability.

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6165 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 

Message 45 of 91
03 October 2007 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
You dug up this topic and it’s dangerous territory, this topic is as controversial as you are (complement; talking things out is good).
When I set up this topic, I wasn’t trying to argue that if you were somehow gifted that you didn’t need to work hard in order to learn to speak another language, but maybe a person could theoretically learn how to learn better from understanding the traits that make some people good at languages??
For instance, I might apparently be studying as hard as I possible could – although some people might not call it studying- but there’s always a better way, perhaps I’m missing something that may incorporate these apparently natural traits that some people have. Maybe some of these traits are naturally inherent, such as listening skills, maybe this can be identified as a trait that can be thought in order to learn to learn better (not a typo). Maybe this is a trait that I can learn, or at the very least improve on, in order to help me become a better learner, thus be that someone who’s better at languages. Understand??
What other traits could we talk about here?
You say: “everyone does have their own ability”. What ability could I attempt to improve on which is Specific to language learning?

Edited by Wings on 03 October 2007 at 2:37pm

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6165 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 

Message 46 of 91
03 October 2007 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
P.s I’m honoured that gipsie replied to my post, as it is her first and only post.

P.s.2 If I don't reply for a while , it's because I'm up to my eyeballs in Lab reports.

Edited by Wings on 03 October 2007 at 2:46pm

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6131 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 47 of 91
03 October 2007 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Are you a chemistry student by any chance?
If you have a talent for acting you could study the language talented bloke and imitate some of his skills to some extent.It has helped me in some areas ,so who knows?
LOL it seems this month ,there's a talent fad going on.

Edited by audiolang on 03 October 2007 at 11:16pm

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6165 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 

Message 48 of 91
05 October 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I also study forensics and biology. I spent all this morning cataloguing the numbers found on the light lenses of Renault cars. Got a lot of funny looks, I was afraid the Guardi would be called.
Yes I regularly act out scenes in my mind, this is very helpful for me.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version