Changed to RedKing’sDream
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

240 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Persian

Message 1 of 4
30 July 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
I am curious as to what approaches learners of languages which are written (more or less) in the Arabic script take when first learning to read.

The obvious difficulty for me is that when I come to a word I don't know, not only do I have to look up its meaning, but I also have to look up its pronunciation, since I don't know which vowels, if any, are missing. And I rarely seem to encounter texts where the voewls are marked.

I understand that I could try to learn the words through context, but even then I still wouldn't know how to pronounce the word.

Is one able to eventually guess the pronunciation of a word with enough background, or is this just one of the difficulties in learning to read one of these languages? So far, all I can think of doing is collecting flashcards with the meaning and pronunciation written on one side.

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6216 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 2 of 4
30 July 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Since noone else is answering, i'll give it a try. I have been told that it will start making sense sooner or later. And yes, you will be able to guess the pronounciation. I guess you know that most of the words in arabic have them three root vowels. The rumour goes, that all the derived verbs and nouns made from the roots follow a rather strict set of patterns.

An example: take a look at any dictionary, that has arranged the words by the root, and you will see that every verb has many "forms", as in verb form I, form VII, form IX etc. These derived verbs follow a fixed "voweling" - .i.e. all the verb form VI verbs will be taXaaYaZa (X,Y,Z- root consonants). All the nouns made from this kind of verbs will have, again, a fixed "voweling" = taXaaYuZ(un).

In a similar fashion all the nouns that are "the place where something is done" kind of nouns will have one (or a few) possible ways of "voweling", same as "the one who is doing something" kind of nouns (like english "baker", for example). Of course, the trick is to guess which kind of word it is and which pattern to apply. The question is, how? We can only hope that one day there will be a click, and it will all become clear.

I hope someone will give a better answer, because i'd like to learn a better trick for guessing myself.

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6701 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 3 of 4
30 July 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
It sounds like you need to try one of the "listening-reading" methods. They should do wonders for you.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 4 of 4
01 October 2016 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
aru-aru wrote:

An example: take a look at any dictionary, that has arranged the words by the root, and you will see that every verb has many "forms", as in verb form I, form VII, form IX etc. These derived verbs follow a fixed "voweling" - .i.e. all the verb form VI verbs will be taXaaYaZa (X,Y,Z- root consonants). All the nouns made from this kind of verbs will have, again, a fixed "voweling" = taXaaYuZ(un).

I wonder just how many forms an Arabic verb have?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version