Heptaglot
Mexico
Joined 6084 days ago

373 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Malay
Studies: Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, Swedish

Message 9 of 16
02 August 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
While I was learning Portuguese, I watched TV programs and then wrote down the words I didn't understand (I know it's hard, most of the times you don't know how to spell the words), then I tried to infer the meaning, that is, deducing the meaning by context and finally look them up in the dictionary.

I know it might sound tiresome and archaic, but it really worked for me, most of the times I could remember lots of words (I don't have a specific number) without any problem, thanks to the infering and because I heard the words in actual sentences.

Greetings!!!!
1 person has voted this message useful

sergiu
Diglot
Romania
freewebs.com/invata_
Joined 6198 days ago

105 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: German

Message 10 of 16
03 August 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Rgg,this is exactly the (only) kind of thing that works for me too.
If I don't hear the word in a TV programm ,then it's bound to be lost.It's not tiresome at all because eventually you can guess words from context just like that and the dictionary is there only as a spectator.

rggg
Heptaglot
Mexico
Joined 6084 days ago

373 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Malay
Studies: Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, Swedish

Message 11 of 16
03 August 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
Sergiu

Glad to know you use the same system.

Off-topic: I've always thought Romanian to be an interesting and beautiful language, sadly I only know a few words and some grammatical rules, and the fact that here in Mexico I don't know many Romanians, there's an actress from Romania here in Mexico.

Multumesc for your comments.

LuckyNomad
Groupie
Korea, South
Joined 6106 days ago

79 posts - 89 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 12 of 16
03 August 2007 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
I tend to vary my system. On some days I'll concentrate on learning some new words. Some days I'll concentrate on parts of grammar. Some days I'll concentrate on learning new chinese characters.
This week, I've been learning to sing songs. It's useful and fun because once you've learned the song and know the meanings of the words, you can sing it while your walking down the street or whatever. The repetition of singing the same words is better than just trying to learn words by themselves.

mcjon77
United States
Joined 6370 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 13 of 16
09 August 2007 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
I recently started memorizing 50 words per day. I use mnemonics and also use them in sentences. It has worked reasonably well so far. Since I use several workbooks to study, what happens is that I often come across the words I have memorized naturally. This tends to reinforce my learning of those words.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6309 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 14 of 16
09 August 2007 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
entropy_rising wrote:
I'm sure this is variable from person to person, but in your experience, what is the ideal amount for you?

What learning method will you use, and how much time do you want to spend on vocab? I think only you can answer those questions, and when you do, through experimentation, you will discover how much you can learn in a day.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6527 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 15 of 16
12 August 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
If memorizing words is too boring, adopt several several parallel strategies.

Every week, I learn about 100 Japanese words from a kanji textbook (straight memorization), a few dozen words from a JLPT exercise book (practising word usage), and a few words just from reading manga or chatting with friends (passive learning).

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 16 of 16
01 October 2016 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
If memorizing words is too boring, adopt several several parallel strategies.

Every week, I learn about 100 Japanese words from a kanji textbook (straight memorization), a few dozen words from a JLPT exercise book (practising word usage), and a few words just from reading manga or chatting with friends (passive learning).

That's impressive. As a fellow Japanese language-learner, I memorize a Kanji per day during learning Grade 1, 2 Kanjis per day during learning Grade 2, and so on. Currently I am learning Grade 4, but already started feeling sick during Grade 3.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version