Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 25 of 77
14 August 2007 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Read through some Krashen articles. Here are links to some of them:
http://www.sdkrashen.com/articles/eta_paper/index.html
http://www.sk.com.br/sk-krash.html

Luke,

I don't know if you noticed but there is an entire copy of Krashen's Second Language Acquisition and Second Language Learning available from the http://www.sdkrashen.com/ site.

Andy.

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 26 of 77
14 August 2007 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
I don't know if you noticed but there is an entire copy of Krashen's Second Language Acquisition and Second Language Learning available from the http://www.sdkrashen.com/ site.

Thanks Andy. Somehow I'd completely missed that article. I'm reminded of your suggestion long ago about just doing the Platiquemos review exercises. That counsel makes a lot of sense to me now, and is supported by the book you provided a link to. I'm thinking about it in the context that you also used bilingual new reports, which fits with Krashen's Comprehension Hypothesis.

Listen-read a chapter from 80 days. Did the same for a few letters from Liaisons.

I'm tired. Sleep beckons.

Edited by luke on 14 August 2007 at 8:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tmesis
Mayotte
Joined 6429 days ago

154 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 27 of 77
15 August 2007 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by tmesis on 17 February 2008 at 2:28pm

rafaelrbp
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6794 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 28 of 77
15 August 2007 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
I have already Readed-Listened "L'Étranger", "Voyage au Centre de la Terre", "Discours de la methode (Descartes)" and "Les Liaisons Dangereuses". This last one I had to read in Spanish, 'cause I didn't find it in my native language (Portuguese).

I liked the method a lot, by the way. I'm going to proceed in the following way:

1. Shadow those books
2. Shadow "Le Tour du monde en 80 jours" (without reading it)
3. Translating (writing) into French some of them, probably not the entire book. :)
4. Proceed Reading-Listening / Shadowing others, like "Voyage au bout de la nuit" and "A La Recherche du temps perdu".

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 29 of 77
15 August 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
tmesis wrote:
How do you feel about the litteratureaudio.com recordings? Too fast?

I've listened to Voyage au Centre de la Terre a couple of times from litteratureaudio.com and I like it and would recommend that story before Tour du Monde because it has a bit of humour and the Guttenberg translation is better.

I just downloaded their chapter 1 of Tour du Monde, and at least that chapter has the same narrator as Voyage. No strong feelings about his voice. He seems native. Chapter 1 from litteratureaudio.com is 10:10. From librivox it is 11:39. One of the female speakers from librivox has a very pleasant accent and speaks at least as fast. For me, the speed isn't a downside. I'm not saying I understand everything, only that for me, when listening, a bit faster is better than a bit slower.

The litteratureaudio.com needs to be normalized. Not a bit deal. Audacity can do it about a minute or two per audiofile on my 6 year old computer. (I do need to replace this old clunker. Editing audio would be less of an issue on a new box).

The site with the best audio that I've found is http://www.teleramaradio.fr/ ... They speak natural and fast, and the audio is top notch. Unfortunately it seems they aren't producing new stuff. Hopefully I'm wrong. The date on the site is 2005, and I haven't noticed any changes to the site since I discovered it a few days ago. They have 4 chapters of Jules Verne as well.

Thanks for bringing litteratureaudio.com to my attention again. Those couple of chapters from librivox that have a non-native speaker or the slow speaker can be replaced by those at litteratureaudio.com. The slow speaker may come in handy if I ever decide to start speaking French.

Slow speaker from Chapter 9: 15:57
litteratureaudio.com Chap 9: 10:52
Suspected non-native: Chap 34: 9:25
litteratureaudio.com Chap 34: 6:26
Another suspected non-native: Chap 14: 15:40
litteratureaudio.com Chap 14: 10:36

So, litteratureaudio.com will be a handy replacement for the chapters that were bothering me the most.

I scoped out a few Learn French podcasts. (google "French Podcast") and was pleasantly surprised to find my comprension good for lesson 86 of frenchpodclass and lesson 27 of another site. (The latest lessons). I was starting to lose a bit of faith in my current method and thinking of trying something else. Based on my findings though, I think my comprehension is decent and continuing the current road seems worth while. As Miss Hopper explained it, MORE EXPOSURE. I.E. A normally read audiobook is loaded with words. A podcast may have 1/2 of the lesson as teaching language, another 10% for music, another 10% that is the commercial at the beginning and the end, etc.

The challenges with listening-reading lie in finding appropriate materials and following the directions.

Edited by luke on 15 August 2007 at 9:08pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 30 of 77
15 August 2007 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
rafaelrbp wrote:
I have already Readed-Listened "L'Étranger", "Voyage au Centre de la Terre", "Discours de la methode (Descartes)" and "Les Liaisons Dangereuses".

That's awesome. Did you get L'Étranger from http://www.dailymotion.com/Sacripan/video/x1z8xr_camus-letra nger-0114_music ?

tmesis
Mayotte
Joined 6429 days ago

154 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 31 of 77
15 August 2007 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by tmesis on 17 February 2008 at 2:28pm

rafaelrbp
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6794 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 32 of 77
15 August 2007 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
rafaelrbp wrote:
I have already Readed-Listened "L'Étranger", "Voyage au Centre de la Terre", "Discours de la methode (Descartes)" and "Les Liaisons Dangereuses".

That's awesome. Did you get L'Étranger from http://www.dailymotion.com/Sacripan/video/x1z8xr_camus-letra nger-0114_music ?

Not exactly from this link, but it was the same audio. Read by Albert Camus himself.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version