Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 65 of 77
26 December 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Thinking about a shorter term approach to the mid-term goals.

luke Goals 2014 wrote:
French
Revise the 4 Assimil French courses I have. Business French needs the most work.
Get Le Petit Prince and L’Étranger to the point where they are easy and effortless to listen with close to 100% comprehension.
Listen/Read several books, focusing on those that were originally in French, as well as a few interesting ones that weren't originally in English or Spanish.
Start the long grind through FSI Basic French.

I'm revising Using French and Business French at the rate of 1 lesson per day. Revising or at least re-listening to a couple of the prior lessons each day. This approach should work for this goal and be fairly easy to fit in the day.

I've started looking at the book and recordings for FSI Basic French. Most of the recordings are about 20 minutes, which makes them a nice, bite-sized chunk in and themselves. Since I've got a good foundation and FSI French is about automaticity, I think the best approach for me now is one recording at a time, serially. If things get impossibly over my head, we'll deal with that if/when it happens.

I'm seeing the non-course books as a separate phase that I'm not on at the moment.

luke Goals 2014 wrote:
Spanish
Finish a grand trip through Don Quixote de La Mancha. This involves listen/reading with support at times in English, which I'm doing now (around capítulo 33 in part one today). I also want to read it in English without audio for pleasure, and supplement that with just listening in Spanish for pleasure.
Listen/Read Cien Años de Soledad and take comprehension up several notches using the methods described above for Don Quixote.
Listen a bit more to modern Spanish media. My wife has a subscription to Sirius XM Radio, and they have a good bit of Spanish programming, such as CNN en Español. I would like to get this to the effortless stage as well.
Do the Translation and Response drills from FSI Basic Spanish to keep active speaking skills up.
Go "all the way" with FSI Basic Spanish, and really get down Level 4 (of the original 4 level course).

Not sure the best approach here right now, but the FSI Translation drills are a good fit for a daily review in the car.

luke Goals 2014 wrote:
Esperanto
Get the video/recordings I did at a conference in 2013 up to the point where they are pretty effortless as well. They're pretty much here already.
Since stretch goals are okay, go ahead and read Lord of the Rings, which I bought at the conference.
Continue listening through Svisa Radio mp3s.

This could be as simple as one mp3 at a time. The Svisa Radio mp3s are about 10 minutes each. Only thing here is I misplaced my memory stick so I've lost my place. Fortunately, the episodes are largely independent of one another.

luke Goals 2014 wrote:
English
Continue to read several more Great Books, focusing on those that were originally done in English. Also support my French listen/reading a bit with this goal.

For the moment, just continue reading/listening to a chapter per day. May shift gears with the next book.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 66 of 77
12 July 2014 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Greaterbooks.com has led me to find that librivox.org has a good recording of Homer's Iliad. I also like
Version 3 of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

Librivox also has a good solo recording of Gulliver's Travels.

There is a dramatic reading of Faust.

A Spanish recording of Virgil's Aenid.

Edited by luke on 12 July 2014 at 3:17am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 67 of 77
27 March 2015 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
It's really been mostly two languages since I upped the intensity of my French a couple of years ago.  English
is what I use in everyday life.

But now, I'm planning to shift gears. I should probably wait until I accomplish something, but let me at least
note what I have layed out:

English: Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon. Listen and shadow. I'm on chapter 3 of
book 1.

French: Le Tour du Monde dans 80 Jours by Jules Verne. I've only done one or two chapters. This is listen
only.

Spanish. El Etranger - by Albert Camus. I've got a good recording of this in Spanish. The narrator speaks
quickly, but well. This is also listen only.

Esperanto will have to wait until I get the other three up a few more notches.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 68 of 77
13 April 2015 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
I've begun focusing more on the stuff in this 10 year reading plan.

Librivox has nice recordings of The Apology of Socrates in French and English. I found a Spanish version on ivoox.com, which I edited a bit, since it is also an amateur recording.

Crito is on Librivox and litteratureaudio.com.

I found a good recording of The Clouds in English.

Lysistrata has been a bit harder, but there appears to be some videos of the play on youtube in French and English.

I'm getting started with Plato's Republic, which also has good recordings on litteratureaudio.com and Librivox.

I've also been listening to Fellowship of the Ring in Spanish, which has a nice narrative voice. I've also got Lord of the Rings in Esperanto, which I can imagine getting read somewhere down the line. This can be a bit of preparation for that.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 69 of 77
23 May 2015 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Overall, I've been listening and reading more English and Spanish than I had been for some time. I've also re-introduced Esperanto. The four language approach seems to make my mind very active and sharp.

So, on the 10 year plan... these have gotten some attention.

En/Sp/Fr Apology of Socrates
En Aristophanes The Clouds
En/Fr Plato's Crito
En/Fr Plato's Republic, books 1 and 2.
En Aristotle's Ethics, book 1
En Edward Gibbon's History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (chapters 1-5, 15)

I've listened a bit to some of The Gospel According to Saint Matthew and The Acts of the Apostles,as well as a few other titles further down the list.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 70 of 77
26 June 2015 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
A quick recap on the Ten Year Reading Plan, which is my Polyliteracy quest.

I started in April 2015. My early posts started in my French log.

FIRST YEAR

1. PLATO: Apology, Crito

I've listened to and read The Apology of Socrates several times in English and French. The English and French recordings are on Librivox and I like the voices. They are solo recordings. I've listened to it a couple times in Spanish. Crito got a few listens in English and one or two in French.

2. ARISTOPHANES: Clouds, Lysistrata

I found a great recording of The Clouds from BBC Open University. It's funny and give color to a references in Apology. I've listened to it maybe three times. I watched Lysistrata on youtube in English. There's a link to semi-professional recording on Wikipedia under Lysistrata.

3. PLATO: Republic [Book I-II]
I've read the Jowett, Bloom and Rackman translations. The Jowett translation is on Librivox with the same good voice as Apology. There is a nice recording in French at LitteratureAudio.com. I've listened to both recordings a few times and created a bilingual text based upon the recordings as well as the Rackman translation from Persius.

4. ARISTOTLE: Ethics [Book I]
I read the Rackman translation from Persius. It looks like it's on Ludovic's list for LitteratureAudio.com. He did the voice for La Republique and did a great job, so I'm looking forward to hearing him do Éthique à Nicomaque de Aristote.

5. ARISTOTLE: Politics [Book I]
Politics has a recording at Librivox I've listened to a couple times and there is a nice recording at LitteratureAudio.com in French as well. I put together a parallel text here too and it has been helpful. This one is getting study in the morning. I.E., read the Rackman translation, then listen/read in FR/FR. I have these recordings split into approximately 12 minute pieces, which has been working well so far.

6. PLUTARCH: The Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans [Lycurgus, Numa Pompilius, Lycurgus and Numa Compared, Alexander, Caesar]
This one has decent recordings at Librivox. I'm on my second listen through. The first listen was in the car. The current listen is in the gym.

7. NEW TESTAMENT: [The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, The Acts of the Apostles]
I listened to Matthew in a King James version that is pretty good. I've listened a bit in French as well. There are some websites online that makes it pretty straightforward to display a parallel text. I'm listening to Acts in English. Most of the listening has been in the car, but the parallel text occurred one night when I couldn't sleep. I listened to the French and read the parallel KJV/Louis Segond.

A Spanish recording is also easy to find. I plan to let the FR and SP waves trickle in over time.

8. ST. AUGUSTINE: Confessions [Book I-VIII]
I'm listening to book 2 in the car from Librivox.

9. MACHIAVELLI: The Prince
There is a pleasant recording in English. Search for Ejunto. The French recording at http://audiocite.net/ is also very nice. I've just started listening in English today.

My basic idea/approach is to take multiple passes at most of the various books, especially if they are interesting and have good recordings. If the books are particularly good, I make a parallel text in Excel.

Here are my notes for an approach to Plato's Republic:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/ is a great resource for English translations of Ancient Greek literature.
Listen to Jowett translation, perhaps in car, possibly while working out.
Create parallel text and modify recordings so the French and English line up.
Go through one paragraph at a time, reading H. Rackman translation, then listen/read a paragraph from B. Saint-Hilaire translation.
Listen to Jowett translation, then Saint-Hilaire, perhaps in car.
Go through one chapter at a time, reading H. Rackman translation, then B. Saint-Hilaire
Listen to Saint-Hilaire, perhaps in car, maybe in the gym, maybe both over time.
Some of the above steps can be repeated later. That's the beauty of the Great Book method.

P.S. I try to put helpful links in Wikipedia for anyone else who may want to travel a similar path.

Edited by luke on 30 June 2015 at 12:01am

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 71 of 77
22 July 2015 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
I created a parallel text for Apologie/Apology of Socrates and took another trip through the
French recording from Librivox.

I'm listening again to La Republique and fleshing out the parallel text with some from Persius, which
matches up well with the French. This morning, I went through book two part four. After I'd listen/read
it, I started adding Persius to the parallel and let the recording repeat while I worked on the text. The audio
felt naturally understandable.

Plutarch trip two finished up in the gym today.

I finished listening to the Gospel of Matthew in Spanish in the car and I've moved on to Hechos de
los Apostoles

Saint Augustine is now into book 8 in English. Each book is about an hour long. It's starting to
grow on me, as I follow the author's thought progression.

Machiavelli's The Prince/Le Prince is on chapter 24 in a back to back En/Fr listen pass in the car.

It's been good doing the books in waves. After a trip through, I'm ready to move on, but a few weeks later, I
enjoy coming back to the recording or book and get more out of it.

Rabelais is next. I could have started it a couple weeks ago, but decided to circle back. It's a longer work
and I haven't decided yet how to start. Perhaps I'll see if Librivox has it in English. That makes for an easy
entry.

Edited by luke on 22 July 2015 at 4:29am

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 72 of 77
25 August 2015 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
Hi luke,

Are you coming over to the .org site? Just havent' seen you about.

PM

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version