297 messages over 38 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 37 38 Next >>
Redy
China
Joined 6847 days ago

29 posts - 11 votes
Studies: English

Message 73 of 297
27 July 2005 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Japanese language sucks anyway. it sounds like balderdash.
1 person has voted this message useful

d1575
United States
Joined 6847 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes

Message 74 of 297
27 July 2005 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Although I have a bias as it is my mother tongue, I would say Spanish. I find Italian quite appealing as well. French seems a bit snobbish and English too technical.

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6864 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 75 of 297
28 July 2005 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
ANK47 wrote:
My least favorite language, dialect really, is Australian English. Every time I watch Steve Erwin wrestling crocs on TV my ears hurt for days.

Steve Irwin's accent is an extreme minority.. I have maybe only encountered half a dozen people that speak that way in my lifetime.

My favourite languages are Arabic, Russian, French and Korean ...all on my 'to do' list

Picking a favourite English dialect is simple.. Lancs and Yorks - what I was raised with :-) ...think Michael Parkinson, Michael Palin, umm... for cricket fans, David Lloyd, Michael Atherton, etc

Bart
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 6947 days ago

155 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese, Swedish

Message 76 of 297
28 July 2005 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
I think Swedish is one of the most beautiful languages there is. It's alot more melodious than other Germanic languages like Dutch and German. And eventhough I can understand alot by reading a Swedish text due to my native knowledge of Dutch, I hardly understand anything if I hear the same text spoken.

Marin
Triglot
Groupie
Croatia
Joined 6846 days ago

50 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Russian, Persian

Message 77 of 297
28 July 2005 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
I agree with someone who said that the most beautiful language is the one we're learning currently :)
But I must say that I like Italian a lot, but I also like Russian language and am planning to take an intensive course next month. I don't know why, but Slavic languages sound very wistful and nostalgic to me...Thatswhy I also like Croatian, as it sounds a bit tragic to me ;)
About English accents I see I am a minority as I like Australian accent and American-Southern very much. I hate cockney, but the ugliest of all would definitely be Hungarian. Every time I hear someone talking in Hungarian I start to laugh. To me it sounds as if someone is playing a music tape backwards.

Edited by Marin on 28 July 2005 at 10:07am

vincenthychow
Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6891 days ago

136 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English, GermanB1, Japanese
Studies: French

Message 78 of 297
28 July 2005 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
jradetzky,
What a lovely song, thank you very much.

Redy, I feel that Japanese sounds like a typewriter when spoken. "titaktitak..kikakika". Because Japanese is quite monotonal and spoken Japanese is normally estremely fast. But when it is fit into a song, it sounds so beautiful.

Edited by vincenthychow on 28 July 2005 at 8:44am

laxxy
Triglot
United States
Joined 6906 days ago

172 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 79 of 297
03 August 2005 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Kyle wrote:
Japanese is most beautiful to me because it has both the charm of an East Asian language (such as a beautiful, intricate writing system) as well as the flow of a romance language. Chinese dialects look awesome when written, but they sound somewhat choppy to me.

Being a native speaker of English, it's hard for me to understand what English "sounds like" and if it is "beautiful." What does Enlgish sound like to other people who are not native speakers?

Yup, I like how Japanese sounds, especially that it is normally spoken so fast. Even though I do not really like the sound of any Romance languages, except French.

Although as I am learning it I am becoming more worried that its sound structure might be difficult for me, because the stress patterns are so different and because there is very little vowel reduction, even compared to English. My ear is not sufficiently trained to distinguish long and short vowels, or i's and e's unless they are stressed...

About English: before I started to learn it, it sounded really weird, probably it was one of the weirdest languages :) which was probably a part of its attraction. Another European language that (still) sounds very strange to me is Danish.
Now, of course, English just sounds natural.

randy310
United States
Joined 6852 days ago

117 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 80 of 297
11 August 2005 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
To me Italian and French both are beautiful music to the ears. Dutch sounds like gargling and Arabic sounds like gagging. Chinese is a lovely sing song.

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version