Groupie
United States
Joined 6746 days ago

82 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Dutch

Message 97 of 297
24 October 2005 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
I vote for Russian, It just sounds wonderful when spoken fluently. Maybe it's the way they really make some words sound very emphatic.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arti
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6772 days ago

130 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, Czech

Message 98 of 297
25 October 2005 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
wow, i ve never thought that so many people like russian:) Personally me, i vote for French and Czech (because czech sound ˛ looks like the same in french, so it s always a pleasure to listen this language) and some German dialects, i dont know which ones, but some of them sound really beautiful.

generally i dont like asian languages, and all the rest languages are neutral for me, especially other slavic ones, with little exception for Ukrainian which is simply funny LOL.

Possibly i would mention Turkish as it's kind of exotic for me, and has an enigma in itself....

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6864 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 99 of 297
25 October 2005 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Ukrainian and Russian sound pretty nice to me. I would vote for those two as my favourite sounding languages. Spanish (when coming from good speakers with good diction) also has a good balanced sound as well. French doesn't sound that great to my ears, but the more I learn the more neutral it becomes.

Maggie
Spain
Joined 6731 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 100 of 297
26 October 2005 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Joining a bit late in the discussion, it seems, but anyway... I haven't really come across a foreign language I didn't like, although there are indeed certain languages I prefer, and I like each for their own separate qualities.

About English: I have to say, proper, cultured British English wins hands down. After that, I like Irish and Scottish accents. A thick Australian, croc hunter-like accent does not make my ears hurt, I think it's fun and I enjoy it, like American Southern speech. Like many people, I love to hear French spoken. I adore the Italian rhythm, and I like the Italians' gesturing and emphatic body language.

When I started learning German, many people asked if it wasn't overly difficult, or if I didn't find the sounds too blunt and overwhelming - that may be so for some people, but I love the strength and energy behind the language. Some of my favorite music in any language I've ever heard is Rammstein's. After several week's study, I didn't find German especially difficult either. Japanese has always sounded lovely and airy to me, and I like the way it can sound brisk and refined at the same time.

As for my mother tongue, Spanish - perhaps I'm biased, but I do love to hear a Venezuelan accent, when it's properly spoken (i.e., not substituting r's for l's and viceversa, exaggerated ups-and-downs, or whacking off the last syllables, something you hear often in Caribbean-area countries); it has the same fluidity you hear in Colombian accent, which I heard someone comment on before. I also enjoy hearing Argentineans talk. Actually, at the beginning of this post I said there wasn't a foreign language I hadn't liked, but I have to add that there's indeed a variant of Spanish that is really awful and clunky and offensive to the ear, the one spoken in Murcia, where I now live, located in SE Spain. Even native Murcians remark on how bad it sounds, and many make an effort to get rid of their accent. That said, Castilian Spanish sounds lovely, and although it isn't very correct, like many Spanish-speakers I find Andalusian accents irresistible, with a fun, catchy sound.

Edited by Maggie on 26 October 2005 at 3:26pm

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6884 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 101 of 297
26 October 2005 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
I can't pick out a favorite, and there aren't any languages I downright dislike. With that in mind, I tend to think of them about like this:

Love: Swahili, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Hindi/Urdu, Farsi, Portuguese

Neutral (like them fairly well but they don't quite make the "love" list): English (native), French, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Afrikaans, Dutch, Russian, Turkish, etc etc

Don't like so much: Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, etc., German

As for accents in English, Irish and Scottish are hands down my favorites. Cockney, Australian, and most American accents are also nice to listen to. New Jersey accents and "Queens English" are easily my least favorites.

VityaCo
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6841 days ago

79 posts - 86 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 102 of 297
27 October 2005 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
There is no best language and a such one like a bad, but there are some that
sound nice for some speakers. I like French sound but I also like Ukrainian
you can check it here:
http://www.umka.com.ua/eng/catalogue/357/
Where you can check it in English, Ukrainian, and Russian. Look in the upper
left corner of the web page. But make sure you listen Ukrainian because
there are quite a bit songs in Russian over there also. I would recommend to
start with
Iryna Bilyk – her albom: “Krashe”.
And let us know here what do you think and how do you like Ukrainian?
http://www.umka.com.ua/eng/

boaziano
Triglot
Italy
Joined 6720 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*, Sanskrit, English
Studies: Hindi, Tibetan, Tamil

Message 103 of 297
06 November 2005 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
I think japanese has the best sound even if I'm attracted by sanskrit, in particular vedic recitation, which I find "hypnotic"...
(http://sanskrit.safire.com/Rigved_1.html)

I also find very interesting -and a bit funny- telugu and, in general, dravidian languages...

Ciao!

ferdi
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 6835 days ago

41 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Turkish, Dutch*, English, German

Message 104 of 297
06 November 2005 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
the most beautifull languages are : Spanish ,italian and french , i gues everybody dont like turkish or dutch :)

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version