Russian Federation
Joined 6799 days ago

130 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, Czech

Message 129 of 297
25 February 2006 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
nox wrote:
Romance and Slavic languages! Arti and Tweek, have you ever had a chance to hear someone talking Croatian? What do you think of Croatian? I've met only one guy who lived in Russia and know the language, but I only said to him 'do svidanja' (?).

In my university there was a girl from Croatia, the only one thing that distinguished her from others was her a bit strange sirname, her Russian was perfect. Slow Croatian looks like Russian, fast Croatian, like Italian;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Alfonso
Octoglot
Mexico
Joined 6648 days ago

511 posts - 536 votes 
Speaks: Biblical Hebrew, Spanish*, French, English, Tzotzil, Italian, Portuguese, Ancient Greek
Studies: Nahuatl, Tzeltal, German

Message 130 of 297
25 February 2006 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
I agree with those who say that "my favorite language is the one I'm currently learning or focusing on". This thought stimulates always my desire to learn more and more a specific language.

Nevertheless I find that each language has its own charming effect on me.

French is sophisticated, aristocratic, well-refined... -how would you say that? poshy, maybe. In the other hand, Canadian French -particularly that from Quebec is spontaneous, familiar, warm.

Italian is like singing (it could written on a music staff) is melodious, is temperamental. It's the artists' language.

English is formal, is practical, synthetic. It's the commercial language. It's the busyness men's language (as we say in Mexico)

German sounds energic, powerful and it's highly precise. It's the scientists' language.

Brazilian Portuguese is sweet, rythmical, is melodious like italian. When spoken fast, it's just samba!

Spanish -my mother tongue- is soft, is just beautiful. I like the way my own language sounds (I could realize that when I lived abroad). Chilean Spanish accent is my favorite.

Among the native mexican languages Zapoteco (which is spoken in Oaxaca) is my favorite. It's both sweet and elegant. It reminds me of Japanese. It's got many words ending in "u" and it's a tonal language.

Finally, among the languages I don't speak at all, I've heard some friends speaking Tagalog (Pilipino) and I liked it very much because it's warm and rythmical.

In fact, untill now I have not found a language I don't like at all!

Edited by Alfonso on 26 February 2006 at 4:34pm

nox
Diglot
Groupie
Croatia
Joined 6648 days ago

62 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English
Studies: German

Message 131 of 297
26 February 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Arti wrote:
nox wrote:
Romance and Slavic languages! Arti and Tweek, have you ever had a chance to hear someone talking Croatian? What do you think of Croatian? I've met only one guy who lived in Russia and know the language, but I only said to him 'do svidanja' (?).

In my university there was a girl from Croatia, the only one thing that distinguished her from others was her a bit strange sirname, her Russian was perfect. Slow Croatian looks like Russian, fast Croatian, like Italian;-)

Finaly someone! :) People in a place near mine speak very fast, with a specific accent - just like Italians! And yet, englishs say it's jus like Russian. Well, I like both. I was thinking about learning Russian, but I'm not sure if it would be so easy as people say. Do you know how long it took her to learn Russian?

Do many Ruassians speak English?

Edited by nox on 26 February 2006 at 6:11pm

Steve4nLanguage
Diglot
Taiwan
Joined 6619 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 132 of 297
12 March 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
I know there are hundreds of languages out there that I've never heard spoken, and I'm always intrigued when I hear one but cannot identify it.

Personally, as far as beautiful sounds and rhythm go, I like Portuguese (lovely mixture of Spanish and French sounds, to my ears), Farsi (majestic, rhythmic, but not too guttural), and Samoan (I love all those vowel sounds).

As far as sounding purely "exotic" and interesting to me, I vote for any tonal languague (like Cantonese) and any "click" language (like Xhosa) since they have sounds so unlike English.

By the way, I remember hearing a non-English speaker(can't remember what language he spoke, though) on TV imitating someone speaking English, and although most of the words didn't make sense, it seemed he threw in a lot of hissing "S" and "Z" sounds to make it "sound English." Well, I guess that's what it sounded like to him.

kzjabay
China
Joined 6618 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Kazakh*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 133 of 297
13 March 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I'm a Kazakh, which maybe a less-known Turkic people.I think as long as a language is delicate and expressive , it should be regarded as the most beautiful language. I enjoy reading our poets' works because they can describe things what most people can't express with rythm and wittedness. I just want to say that the most beautiful language is the one you speak best. So I think Kazakh and Chinese are the most beautiful languages.
     That is my humble opinion.

Edited by kzjabay on 13 March 2006 at 3:48pm

ihaveacomputer
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6620 days ago

21 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi, Punjabi
Studies: Urdu, Italian

Message 134 of 297
13 March 2006 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, I am not sure which I would identify as the most beautiful, but hearing Hindi or Urdu from the mouth of a child makes me giggle. It sounds so cute, for some reason!

janalisa
Triglot
France
janafadness.com/blog
Joined 6677 days ago

284 posts - 466 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Norwegian

Message 135 of 297
23 March 2006 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
I personally think Russian is the most beautiful-sounding language I've ever heard. But then again, there are a lot of languages I've never heard before. =)

easyboy82
Pentaglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 6617 days ago

72 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Greek

Message 136 of 297
23 March 2006 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
French!
And Italian (my native language) spoken by a native french speaker with a french accent sounds to most Italians very charming! :oD

Recently i fell in love with modern Greek ( i already studied Ancient Greek along with Latin for 5 years at Liceo Classico,which is the Italian kind of High School for classical and litterary studies)

Edited by easyboy82 on 23 March 2006 at 4:06pm

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version