Thailand
Joined 5575 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Thai*, Laotian, English, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French, Welsh

Message 193 of 297
30 July 2009 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
THAI is the "French" of East Asia and sounds cool and sophisticated too(although personally I can't understand it at all).

The other major languages in E Asia that I am familiar with are not as gracious and beautiful sounding. However Thai always sounds charming and it has a stylish, cool, pretty, quirky culture too -- there is nothing not to like about it..
Why aren't there any Thai learners on this site?

Well, it doesn't quite come in handy, does it? Especially when you don't live in Thailand.
Mind you, even most of the expats living here don't bother with it!

Anyhow, lovely to hear you find Thai interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5623 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 194 of 297
30 July 2009 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
:-) Yes, like many people I have spent some very nice holidays in your wonderful country. And thanks to my stepmother I've seen more temples, palaces and museums than beaches, bars or tourist markets!

Some Westerners behave like pigs in Thailand and this is simply shameful. IMHO Thailand ought not put up with it. Furthermore, anybody who plans to live in a foreign country for a longer period should try their best to learn the language.

An old friend of mine has lived in Thailand on and off since childhood. She speaks basic Thai and is doing business with Thailand for a living. Her father who has lived there permanently for 20 years is completely fluent.

Thailand is fairly big and quite outward-looking and internationally minded. I have heard that Thai is also similar and/or understandable in Laos. People who come to the forum with "what-Asian-language-should-I-study?" type questions ought to consider it. Yet it is rarely mentioned. (Per wikipedia 75 millon speakers, not bad!)

The only downside is that it is supposed to be VERY hard.

These artists have learnt Thai although I don't know what the background story might be, perhaps they were born there. My friend said she heard the guy is Swedish. His name & looks would support it: Jonas Andersson @ Youtube

Suriya
Tetraglot
Thailand
Joined 5575 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Thai*, Laotian, English, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French, Welsh

Message 195 of 297
02 August 2009 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Some Westerners behave like pigs in Thailand and this is simply shameful. IMHO Thailand ought not put up with it. Furthermore, anybody who plans to live in a foreign country for a longer period should try their best to learn the language.

They come to live here after their retirement with the rest of their pension, so I think whoever they spend their cash on wouldn't mind whether they don't speak Thai or not, frankly! As for me I would make the most of life abroad and try to acquire local language, just like you said.

cordelia0507 wrote:
I have heard that Thai is also similar and/or understandable in Laos.

Yes, they are mutually intelligible, well, so similar that they more like different dialects!

cordelia0507 wrote:
The only downside is that it is supposed to be VERY hard.
I should say that my mother tongue is soooo difficult, shouldn't I? But no, with a bit of time and a lot of exposure to the language, I think Thai can be acquired without difficulty (basic Thai, that is). Just on another subject, I don't understand people (non-Anglophones mostly) who take pride in their languages by saying how difficult it is. It wouldn't make anyone appear cleverer speaking a complicated language as a first language, in my opinion.

cordelia0507 wrote:
These artists have learnt Thai although I don't know what the background story might be, perhaps they were born there. My friend said she heard the guy is Swedish. His name & looks would support it: Jonas Andersson @ Youtube
Oh yes, the Thais adore them (That would be one of the profits from learning Thai while in Thailand - people just think you're adorable!). Jonas is Swedish and Christy is Dutch, I think.)

Just so that the topic won't get deviated, my most beautiful-sounding language would have to be "BBC British-English". I just can't get over it, so posh lol

Edited by Suriya on 02 August 2009 at 7:56pm

Meadowmeal
Pentaglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5496 days ago

43 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English, German, Polish
Studies: Romanian

Message 196 of 297
02 August 2009 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Maybe somebody already said this, but the most beautiful language has to be the one you're currently studying, for what else can give you the motivation you need to soldier on?

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6027 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 197 of 297
03 August 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Meadowmeal wrote:
Maybe somebody already said this, but the most beautiful language has to be the one you're currently studying, for what else can give you the motivation you need to soldier on?

That's nicely put. I like that.

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6198 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 198 of 297
03 August 2009 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Suriya wrote:

Just so that the topic won't get deviated, my most beautiful-sounding language would have to be "BBC British-English". I just can't get over it, so posh lol

It's a pity that it's fallen out of favour with the British public these days. Only something like only 2% brits speak it now. "Esturary" English, which has replaced RP, is simply awful. In fact, it's so bad, I would reccomend people learning English to do immersion in the U.S.

spykel
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5612 days ago

40 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Scottish Gaelic

Message 199 of 297
04 August 2009 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Here's my take:

Beautiful written languages: Italian, Latin, English, Greek, Arabic
Not so beautiful written languages: French, German, Irish, Swedish, Vietnamese

Beautiful spoken languages: Italian, Finnish, Russian, French, Portuguese
Not so beautiful spoken languages: Irish, Spanish, Swedish, Cantonese, Urdu

hanni
aka cordelia0507
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5389 days ago

69 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*

Message 200 of 297
04 August 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Spykel why do you study languages that you think are "not so beautiful" in both written and verbal form?

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version