Norway
Joined 5690 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 225 of 297
18 October 2009 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Lindsay19 wrote:
I'm kind of sad that so many people find the American accent ugly :( Sure, I can understand not liking those accents from Boston or the South (I really can't stand them), but even Californian English? (my accent). I'm also rather befuddled about the comments on the American "R". How is it distiguisable from the other English "R"s? Being American myself and so used to speaking it, I'm having a hard time figuring out its peculiarity.

I don't find it ugly - but the R thing might be because so many Americans butcher Rs in other languages cause they can't leave behind their American one. This goes for other dialects of English too. Doesn't sound very good! So maybe that's where people's feelings about English Rs come from...
1 person has voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5703 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 226 of 297
21 October 2009 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Most beautiful? Well, I'll list some of my favorites sound-wise here:

English: Yes, I went there. I love the sound of English. Not just any English, though; I love the New 'Yawk' accent. It's such a shame that it's dying out, because it's the most amazing accent in any language ever.

Icelandic: It's such a beautifully flowing language. Each word seems like it belongs with the word after it.

Russian: It's got the rhythm of Italian with that Slavic fun thrown in for a deliciously awesome language.

Honorable Mentions:

Navajo: I'm not going to lie; I like Navajo. Not 'most beautiful' status, but it deserves an honorable mention.

Arabic: It goes great with music.

Yoruba: Angelique Kidjo makes any language seem awesome, but Yoruba sounds particularly cool.

brunhild
Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 227 of 297
24 October 2009 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I'll have to go with my native language, Portuguese (Brasilian)!

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5945 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 228 of 297
26 October 2009 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
Lindsay19 wrote:
I'm kind of sad that so many people find the American accent ugly :( Sure, I can understand not liking those accents from Boston or the South (I really can't stand them), but even Californian English? (my accent). I'm also rather befuddled about the comments on the American "R". How is it distiguisable from the other English "R"s? Being American myself and so used to speaking it, I'm having a hard time figuring out its peculiarity.

I don't find it ugly - but the R thing might be because so many Americans butcher Rs in other languages cause they can't leave behind their American one. This goes for other dialects of English too. Doesn't sound very good! So maybe that's where people's feelings about English Rs come from...

Its peculiarity comes from the fact that most languages' Rs are a flick of the tongue, while English R is a curl of the tongue without touching the palate. (I wonder how it came to be?) The only language that I know that has this kind of R besides English is Chinese (is there any other languages that have this kind of R?). British English sounds better to me because the Rs that follows the vowels are gone.

Edited by sebngwa3 on 26 October 2009 at 4:48am

David130
United Kingdom
Joined 5357 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 229 of 297
26 October 2009 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
I like Norwegian and Italian.

Matteo
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 5361 days ago

88 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: ItalianB1, German

Message 230 of 297
26 October 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
All romances languages.
But i think Italian is the most beautful.

Edited by Matteo on 26 October 2009 at 2:57pm

minus273
Triglot
France
Joined 5546 days ago

288 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Ancient Greek, Tibetan

Message 231 of 297
26 October 2009 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
pohaku wrote:
Japanese, too. I might have to learn Japanese simply to be able to hold and admire and read one of their wonderfully printed books.

A page in a Japanese paperback is a real delight. So is a Reclams. I understand why it's the Japanese and the German that love to read.

It's a bit hard, though, when you can read and see that maybe they're just printing pretty mundane matter after all, in such beautiful typography.

Pohaku Sāhib, try once the gracious premodern Japanese books!

Ise Monogatari, of the high literature.
Nansō Satomi Hakkenden, a popular novel.

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version