Diglot
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

192 posts - 367 votes 
Speaks: English*, Persian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 233 of 297
26 October 2009 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
minus273--Thanks for the Japanese literature references. I read Japanese literature (in English translation) in college. If I had an infinite amount of time, I'd love to work on Japanese exactly so I could read, in Japanese, the types of books you recommend. Who knows? It might happen yet!
1 person has voted this message useful

minus273
Triglot
France
Joined 5551 days ago

288 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Ancient Greek, Tibetan

Message 234 of 297
26 October 2009 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
pohaku wrote:
minus273--Thanks for the Japanese literature references. I read Japanese literature (in English translation) in college. If I had an infinite amount of time, I'd love to work on Japanese exactly so I could read, in Japanese, the types of books you recommend. Who knows? It might happen yet!

Ah, I meant the graphic aspects. Chinese write private letters in cursive. But the Japanese!

Elwing
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5294 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Finnish*, English, French
Studies: Norwegian

Message 235 of 297
26 October 2009 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Elvish (Sindarin) is the most beautiful in spoken form but I suppose I'll have to pick between spoken languages as well.
I've always loved Swedish (the standard Swedish in Sweden and the Northern Swedish accent in particular). It's just a language I could listen to for hours; the singing quality of it and the soft sounds are so beautiful. I also like Norwegian because it sounds happy with the rising tone.

Envinyatar
Diglot
Guatemala
Joined 5322 days ago

147 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 236 of 297
27 October 2009 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Elwing wrote:
Elvish (Sindarin) is the most beautiful in spoken form

Sindarin was conceived by Tolkien as the "vulgar" language of the elves while Quenya as the literary, sophisticated and beatiful sounding language so maybe you're talking about Quenya and not about Sindarin. In the first Lord of the Rings movie, Arwen (Liv Tyler) speaks some words in Quenya and yeah, it sounds nice.

By the way, Quenya phonology is mainly based on Finnish and to some lesser extent, Latin, Italian and Spanish. Its writing form is also very beautiful (Tengwar). Unfortunately there's not much material about this fascinating language.

Info about Quenya here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quenya

And for the language aficionados, a free Quenya course here:
http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/qcourse.htm

Qinshi
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5539 days ago

115 posts - 183 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 237 of 297
27 October 2009 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
All languages are beautiful especially the language of love.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Elwing
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5294 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 

Message 238 of 297
27 October 2009 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Envinyatar wrote:

Sindarin was conceived by Tolkien as the "vulgar" language of the elves while Quenya as the literary, sophisticated and beatiful sounding language so maybe you're talking about Quenya and not about Sindarin.
By the way, Quenya phonology is mainly based on Finnish

No, I'm talking about Sindarin, I've studied it for a while already :)
I don't like the sound of Quenya due to the fact that it's based on Finnish, which is my native tongue so I can't sort of see the beauty of it in the same way non-Finnish speakers can. To me Quenya sounds quite harsh with all the consonants. However, I think written Quenya (not only when written in Tengwar but also with the Latin alphabet) looks very pretty :)

Edited by Elwing on 27 October 2009 at 12:19pm

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5458 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 239 of 297
27 October 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Am I truly reading a post by a Finn who has managed to actually learn Swedish up to a level of basic fluency O.o You'd make the government so proud : D

Oh it's even advanced, holy moly...

Edited by Thatzright on 27 October 2009 at 8:01pm

Elwing
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5294 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 

Message 240 of 297
27 October 2009 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Thatzright wrote:
Am I truly reading a post by a Finn who has managed to actually learn Swedish up to a level of basic fluency O.o You'd make the government so proud : D

Oh it's even advanced, holy moly...

:D Well, it's not like I started learning it in secondary school. I've always spoken Finnish at home with both of my parents but I went through a total early immersion programme (kielikylpy/språkbad) so I spoke Swedish with teachers in nursery and with most teachers in primary school as well. My mum also had an interest in the language so I ended up reading a lot in Swedish and taking part in Swedish speaking clubs in my free time (e.g. drama club, handball team). So in a sense, it's not really a foreign language to me.
I'll be very happy to help you with your Swedish by the way if you need a hand :)

Edited by Elwing on 27 October 2009 at 8:53pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version