Diglot
Argentina
Joined 5381 days ago

104 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 249 of 297
04 April 2010 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Every language is beautiful. Some may sound a little harsh, but the written side could be awesome! For example, I don't know anybody who thinks that German is the most beautiful spoken language, but to see a piece of German written in good cursive is marvellous.
Italian does sound very musical, I like it better than French. And in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAELzQLX02U you can really hear the beauty and music in Spanish (even I notice it, and I'm a native speaker and Spanish is mainly something from day-to-day).
Other language I find beautiful is Greek... either Modern or Ancient. I want to learn Modern Greek in the future. English does sound good to me, too.

Edited by Carisma on 04 April 2010 at 11:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

apatch3
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5944 days ago

80 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Pashto, English*
Studies: Japanese, FrenchA2

Message 250 of 297
09 April 2010 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
I think all languages have their own beauty, although the most pleasing languages I have ever had the pleasure of listening to are
1) Farsi (Persian)
2) German (yes I like it!)
3) Japanese

Funnily enough I'm only learning one of them

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5223 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 251 of 297
09 April 2010 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
Many people say that German is harsh and could never be described as beautiful, but I
remember once in a German seminar at university where our little old German lady
professor read Faust to us. It was spell-bindingly beautiful and changed my opinion
about the supposed harshness of German forever.

I've recommended this on another post somewhere, but for anyone who doesn't think
Russian is beautiful go watch Loshad' v tumanye (sorry, can't do Cyrillic on my
computer) on YouTube. Again, spell-binding.

I love Polish but I must admit I would have difficulty calling it a beautiful language.
Japanese I think is too monotonous to be called beautiful.

Thai has to get the award for the cutest language! When a high tone or a falling tone
comes at the end of a sentence it sounds so sweet!

Not sure what I think about Georgian yet. It's definitely a cool sound, and I love the
glottal stop sound of ყ, even though I'm useless at actually pronouncing it, but I'll
reserve judgement on whether or not I think it's beautiful.

Miznia
Diglot
United States
Joined 5110 days ago

37 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Cantonese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese

Message 252 of 297
09 April 2010 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
The Blaz wrote:
Maybe this has already already been discussed in this thread, but when is one more
qualified to judge the beauty of (the sound of) a language... when you know the language
or when you do not know the language at all?

Well since it's all a matter of opinion I guess this is as well. But I do have some fear that I will lose appreciation for certain languages if I become too proficient with them.

apatch3
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5944 days ago

80 posts - 99 votes 

Message 253 of 297
09 April 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Haha they lose that alien extravagance that they one used to have and you realize that to you they just seem like regular speech now, gone are the days of novelty XD.

Stephen
Groupie
Australia
Joined 6170 days ago

61 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 254 of 297
09 April 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
I would say that the Gaelic sound of a softly spoken Scots lassie is the most beautiful sound on earth.

:-)

haliros
United States
Joined 5542 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 255 of 297
10 April 2010 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
I think Scottish Gaelic is one of the most beautiful languages out there: it has the dancing rhythm of Irish, combined with subtle, yet harsh sounds. I think the combination is absolutely magical.

I also think Japanese is a gorgeous language, but no quite for the same reason. When I listen to Japanese, I often find myself thinking about why they're saying what they're saying, and why they say something in a particular way, or other historical aspects of the language itself. The way Japanese is structured is just so intriguing to me! 8D

apatch3
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5944 days ago

80 posts - 99 votes 

Message 256 of 297
10 April 2010 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
nan ja kore wa ! just means "what is this?" but the way its said makes it sound like " what the @*#$ is going on here #!@&($" XD

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version