Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5121 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 257 of 297
13 April 2010 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Hard to say for sure. I would have to say Dutch. If it is really well-spoken :)
1 person has voted this message useful

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5315 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 258 of 297
13 April 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Carisma wrote:
For example, I don't know anybody who thinks that German is the most
beautiful spoken language, but to see a piece of German written in good cursive is
marvellous.

Good cursive German like this? This is actual style example from 1922 textbook I have.

nescafe
Japan
Joined 5191 days ago

137 posts - 227 votes 

Message 259 of 297
13 April 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
I am very glad to know many people here say Japanese is a beautiful language. Let me ask you. How dose Japanese sound like to you (who love Japanese language)? I remember there is a thread like "how English sounds to foreigners" anywhere on this forum (I could not find it), I am curios to know the same thing about Japanese. I gusee Japanese sounds like Korean, because I often mistake Koreas for Japanese when hearing it on subway, but is it so...?

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5686 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 260 of 297
13 April 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Smart wrote:
Hard to say for sure. I would have to say Dutch. If it is really well-
spoken :)

hmmm I don't know... I find it all a bit too rough, same with German...

Gaelic is number one for me, but apart from that I say I'd go for Nama/khoekhoegowab...
or a Berber language...

in terms of writing... Finnish... (not as in writing system, but just in terms of how the
words "look")

Edited by ennime on 13 April 2010 at 1:57pm

apatch3
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5967 days ago

80 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Pashto, English*
Studies: Japanese, FrenchA2

Message 261 of 297
13 April 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
to me japanese has two distinct sounds when spoken normally it sounds monotonous (thanks to the grammar being expressive enough not to require a change of intonation) so much so that it almost feels like everyone is discussing something of utmost importance. The second type is more lively (ie the type used in music and casual conversation) tends to sound very flowing, almost soothing. Anyway Japanese doesn't have the same novelty It presented me with before I started learning but then thats the case with all languages .. their "coolness" wears off when you actually begin to understand them for instance french doesn't sound snobbish to me any longer.
3 persons have voted this message useful

nescafe
Japan
Joined 5191 days ago

137 posts - 227 votes 

Message 262 of 297
14 April 2010 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, Apatch3

apatch3 wrote:
to me japanese has two distinct sounds when spoken normally it sounds monotonous (thanks to the grammar being expressive enough not to require a change of intonation) so much so that it almost feels like everyone is discussing something of utmost importance.

Hehhh, it is interesting. I did not know Japanese sounds as if "discussion utmost important things". I remember a Chinese lady said Japanese speak in lower voice than Chinese so that we sounds very serious ans she felt on a train as if in a library.

English sounded to me as,

Dis ez ummum&$"!$%&&ummmum rolling rolling hhmmmmm$'(($## ...???

Now it sounds right to me, A language.

apatch3
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5967 days ago

80 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Pashto, English*
Studies: Japanese, FrenchA2

Message 263 of 297
16 April 2010 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
By the way you have you trade brains with me now, I've been slacking off my kanji study lately and I've come to the conclusion that a brain transplant would be an easier option.

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5565 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 264 of 297
16 April 2010 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
nescafe wrote:
I am very glad to know many people here say Japanese is a beautiful language. Let me ask you. How dose Japanese sound like to you (who love Japanese language)? I remember there is a thread like "how English sounds to foreigners" anywhere on this forum (I could not find it), I am curios to know the same thing about Japanese. I gusee Japanese sounds like Korean, because I often mistake Koreas for Japanese when hearing it on subway, but is it so...?

I thought Korean sounded like whiny Japanese until I went to Korea. While I still found the language full of drawn out vowels and incredibly whiny, comparing it to Japanese is a stretch. Japanese speakers in Korea definitely stand out. I wonder if the reverse is not true because most Koreans in Japan also speak Japanese?

I don't think Japanese is beautiful, nor did I before I learned it. At best it is gruff and badass (Tomisaburo Wakayama!) and worst incredibly annoying. What passes for cute in Japan makes my blood boil. On the other hand, without even trying, Hakata-ben (Fukuoka dialect) is incredibly cute. 取っとーと?

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version