Diglot
Poland
Joined 4429 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 281 of 297
11 March 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
1. English: Scottish accents (like Soap McTavish one), Scouse, Cockney, Australian
2. Spanish, particulary Colombian, Venezuelan
3. Dutch from Randstad and the areas nearby, standard Belgian accent (like Oliver Desschacht's one) is also quite nice, but most of the southern accents sound rather boring
4. Swedish
5. Serbo-Croatian
6. Greek

Can't think of anything else.

Edited by torito on 21 March 2012 at 11:22pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kadabrium
Triglot
Norway
Joined 4432 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English, Norwegian
Studies: Latin, Icelandic

Message 282 of 297
11 March 2012 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Icelandic generally,
and Japanese may rival it if sang in songs
for me..

manish
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5333 days ago

88 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 283 of 297
11 March 2012 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Greek for me (the Modern one, I don't know what Ancient Greek sounded like).

Edited by manish on 11 March 2012 at 8:42pm

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 284 of 297
15 March 2012 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
I find Arabic, Quechua, and Turkish to sound very beautiful.

TexDeuce
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 285 of 297
04 June 2012 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
I'm a native Texan and find Italian and French to be the most beautiful to my ears. I do like the BBC English
and think it makes a person sound quite sophisticated. If you go north in England you will find some
atrocious accents.

My least favorite accent is probably German. It just seems so harsh and grating on the ears. I'm also not a
fan of the Mexican accent. I speak pretty decent Spanish but generally don't like the cartoonish accent
some of the Mexicans have here in the states. Some countries Spanish sounds pretty good, I'm just not a
fan of the exaggerated Mexican accent that some of the Mexicans speak with.

As someone who has only studied and practiced Spanish, I'm making the leap into French which is how I
found this forum. I'm a little concerned how my pronunciation and accent will translate as I have never
been exposed to any French. I'm pretty excited though, can't wait to learn a new language!

fulushou3
Russian Federation
Joined 4589 days ago

17 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 286 of 297
24 November 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Dutch spoken in Netherlands is very beautiful. I like its growling and roaring flows.
Belgian Dutch sounds like Dutch with strong Russian accent )) and it's not my personal
opinion: sometimes you don't know who announces the beginning of the match when Belgian
soccer club plays vs. Russian soccer club (was it a Belgian voice? or a Russian voice
speaking in Belgian Dutch?).

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 287 of 297
24 November 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
I think Swedish has a beautiful melodious quality to it, and I also really like the
sound of Hebrew and Russian. I personally like English but only if it's spoken with a
dialect of one of the Celtic-influenced nations (or Australian if it's not too drawly).
I particularly enjoy Scottish accents with the beautiful rolled "r" and their typical
vowels. I personally speak some bollocks hybrid, but once I get round to it I think I
want to perfect a proper Scottish accent (definitely my favourite).

I find Arabic sounds too much like someone gargling, Chinese sounds immensely choppy,
and I generally find that most of the Romance languages have this "machine-gun" timing
about them which I find a bit eh. Italian is more singsongy but there is something
about it that puts me off (whereas I do usually like singsongy accents).

I also think Dutch is probably the ugliest Germanic language because it is so monotone
(Netherlands Dutch). Flemish Dutch (and some of the southern dialects, particularly
Brabantian) I do like. They sound quaint and rustic, and I like the little references
back to older Dutch.

I am also really liking the sound of Breton, but I think it might be prettier with a
rolled instead of a Parisian r.

limey75
United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4186 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 288 of 297
25 November 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
torito wrote:
1. English: Australian

This must be the ugliest variety of English! Give me Welsh English or South African English anytime :)

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version